Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pulled the Box out of my roadster *A-camino vs Roadster?*

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrod-40, Feb 23, 2011.

?
  1. Convert back to Roadster with a deck lid

159 vote(s)
    76.1%
  2. Leave it how it is with the box

50 vote(s)
    23.9%
  1. seatex

seatex

Get a decklid, drive as a roadster, swap meet coming up? Remove decklid, reinstall bed for beer, parts and other necessities!

2. take that farmer bucket off! make it into a HOTROD not a farm tool.

3. if you take the box out it's just another model A. don't get me wrong i like model A's, but you can't swing a dead cat without hitting one!

4. Crankhole

Crankhole

I'm with Breeder...build a trailer outta the box. Someone photoshop the bed out of that profile pic.

5. Mr 42

Mr 42
    from Sweden

Leave the box, wy have another belly button Model A roadster????

The box is history /patina....

6. hasty

hasty

The charm and eccentricity of the box are great, but given the choice I know which one I would rather drive. You can still keep the box. That way you have the history without carrying it on your shoulders.

7. Fred A

Fred A
    from Encino, CA
    1. Upholstery

Easy for them, but for me, I would not do the amount of work that is needed to fix that rear deck. The box looks like it could be trimmed down to a sportier profile. I have a '31 roadster that may be a candidate for a pickup mod, as long as the job is sanitary and reversible. Such boxes were very common before 1950, mostly in coupes, but were soon junked as pickups became widely available after the wars. I'm getting to where I don't tear anything down that runs because now that I have time and money, energy to spend on tougher projects is not there. Good Luck: Fred A

8. I belive he does have all the parts. I scored him a back half of a junked roadster a while back

9. If you want a truck, I'm sure someone on the board would be glad to swap you for your roadster. Thats just ugly and wrong the way it was built anyway!

10. Roadster. The novelty of the pickup deal was lost long ago. Your a hotrodder. Build the car properly. When in doubt,listen to Chris.

11. By far the best piece of advise ever given :D

12. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I used to think so until you sent me that drawing you did while bored at work. Now I just think you're a sexual deviant that should be on http://www.familywatchdog.us/

I'm watching you Ogre.

13. RGG

RGG

Roadster...

RGG

14. Reindeer

Reindeer
    from Finland

RPU's have beds and miss roadster should get her nice ass sheetmetal surgery soonest..

15. Interesting how that one was done. Most I have seen just removed the trunk lid and slid a box in. This guy was more serious about it. Do you know any history on it? Was it really done during WWII for gas purposes or was it just some hick hill billy farmer that didn't care about the car and wanted a truck at some other point in time.
    If you do decide to leave the box then by all means don't Hot Rod it as that would never have been done. Just leave it like it is and tell the story of why.

16. Sinister

Sinister
    from Oregon

Quickie...

Attached Files:

17. Fiatdude

Fiatdude
    from SoCal

The box has got to go --- way toooooooo nice for a plywood trunk

18. I say leave the box because of the history!

19. Bingo. Just 'cuz something is old doesn't mean is has "historical value".

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Exactly, the "box" has little or no historical significance or value except that it was someone's way to bend the rules during WWII so that they could get Gas stamps and buy new tires. It's home made and not one of the conversion boxes that were sold through the dealerships.

Turn it back into the roadster that Henry originally designed and built and go for it. You can use the box as a planter or make a yard trailer out of it.

21. Joe King

Joe King

be like everyone with a roadster and a flathead or be unique.

22. orange52

orange52

With the box it's unique. Shorten it up to give you more leg room and drive on.

23. 39 chevy kustom

39 chevy kustom

Damn that is fugly, What "traditonal hot rodder " back in the day would have that box stinking out the ass of his roadster. NONE .

24. bubmrdrmerc

bubmrdrmerc
    from oklahoma

i think roadster, but its your car id keep the box, if nothing more than a conversation piece

25. Bellybutton or box, hmmmmmm, id keep the box.
    I got asked if i was going to cut the cab off my truck and use a roadster back.
    I had a think about it, and decided it would just be another roadster.
    Yeah its ugly, but its diffrent, and its history.
    Your car, your call.

26. 39 chevy kustom

39 chevy kustom

So its history is someone was trying toget more gas rations by doing this and/or it was a farm truck. OK My model a coupe has documented history of being a taxi in monterey mexico , It needs ALOT of work in the rear quarters from who knows how many people crawled in ond our of it for years. Should I leave it beat all to hell , because of the history ? If Wally Parks or someone like that built that roadster /homemade pickup then of course leave it . If not then make youself a complete hot rod.

27. hotrod-40

hotrod-40

Lot of good input. The bed is not mad out of plywood, OSB, or anything. It is actually about 1" solid wood from bottom to top, and boy is it heavy. That's another reason for pulling it out. That is a lot of wait to be on all the time. It is also not "home made". It is actually an old horse drawn wagon. That is why it was cut that way. All the iron on it looks hand forged. It's not technically historic, but more of a window in the past. I do have another roaster to build the car I initially wanted, so I think this will be the parts hauler for now ;)
    Me and my brother found three roadsters last summer. Here is the one I wound up with:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is the back half I got to fix the A-camino. I have all the other stuff too.
    [​IMG]

28. hotrod-40

hotrod-40

I needed to make room in the shop so it went on Craigslist. Some guy named Jeff came and bought it. He just kept talking about how sweet rat rods are. I kind of thought maybe it was you...?
    I'm sure it is mutilated by now. It also had a deuce grill that went with it. he didn't even know what it was... :eek:

29. hotrod-40

hotrod-40

I asked him. He said he would make it into a pre-war "Donk" if it was him...

30. Oh fo sho. Then I would put 24's on it and bedazzle "24" on the sides of the bed.