Register now to get rid of these ads!

early 60 chevy truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 26Troadster, Feb 22, 2011.

1. 26Troadster

26Troadster

if you was to mild custom a 60 to 63 chevy short bed step or fleetside. what would you do? i have gethered all the pictures that i can find and have lots of ideals , but would like some input. i have seen them from stock to mild to wild, but none that had been done in the early 60's.

odie

2. slammed

slammed

Soft tone paint, that will not fight the boxy shape. Supremes, 1" white wall's, dropped 4-5. Tuck-n-roll the seat. Metalflake steering wheel, Small back window cab will look better (to me) shave the emblem's and handles. Chrome bumper's and grill. Since custom is in the mind of the build, a early Caddy motor would really be sweat. Sure the sbc is easy, a inline 6 cyl. will be a shoe in. Or semi gloss Navy blue, 'flaked roof, chrome stock wheel's for a low budget affair.

3. Mr. Speed

Mr. Speed
    from USA

I'd 'bag it, maybe some cool panel paint with the lace, fog, whole 9 yards, and a blinding white tuck and roll interior, maybe some chrome reverse or some Supremes. Leave the stock running gear, maybe an S-10 5 speed for driveability. Just some food for thought!

4. John 79

John 79
    from Sweden

My old 1960 stepside,not really a custom but i give you some pics anyway.
    Theres a 60-66 (i think) chevy truck thread,look it up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. 26Troadster

26Troadster

the white tuck and roll was already on the list. i have been thinking about candy bronze to candy tangerine (hope i spelled that right) the truck is already lowered 2" back and about 3" front. right now it is a stepside, but have been wanting a fleetside bed for a cleaner line. i like the crager ss wheels but have been looking at tri-bars. what kind of tail lights would you/yall use? i have seen alot of 59 caddy's used. i already have the dual head light from a 60, alum grille but needs alittle tlc, i'll try to get some newer pics to post.

odie

6. squirrel

squirrel

If you go to a fleetside bed, you'll need to look at lights that will sort of match the shape of the rear corner of the bed. No bags or 5 speeds or Cragars in the early 60s....chrome reverse wheels with bullets or full wheel covers from a 50s car would be more appropriate.

7. ka-zoo

ka-zoo

There was one on here a few years ago that took an extra '60 hood, flipped and used it as a front roll pan, I always thought that was a sweet idea, could even fab up some nerf bumpers to mirror the shape...

8. 26Troadster

26Troadster

that is the same grille that i have on my truck but it is missing the center part, was thinking about using some screen in it's place.

odie

9. 26Troadster

26Troadster

i do have aset of full moons somewhere, or atleast i did. have to think about that.

odie

10. 26Troadster

26Troadster

i belive i might have a pic of one like that in one of my folders, and i do have a extra hood too.

odie

11. 26Troadster

26Troadster

thanks fellas yall have gave me alot to think about.

odie

12. John 79

John 79
    from Sweden

"Crashhead" here on HAMB had that truck if i remember right,dont know if he built it or not but i think so.

13. For some reason I was thinking it was a survivor, somtimes things get a little twisted in my head, but if not it was built correct for the era and no one would have ever known that is wasn't a survivor.

14. ka-zoo

ka-zoo

15. 26Troadster

26Troadster

my truck is a 63 so my hood is the newer one. i have been wanting to do the rollpan and nurf bars for awhile, but picked up another truck with chrome bumpers, so i'm still feeling everything out for now. i know i got some metal work to do first. so i got some time to decide what i want to do.

16. Turn the bumpers over so the rib is on the bottom instead of the top. That's a pretty old custom C-10 trick.

17. 26Troadster

26Troadster

you know when i was a kid and built models on the 55-56 chevys i always put the bumpers upside down, and after going through all my pics i don't belive i saw not one truck done this way, so that just might be something to do, would be easy too. thanks.

odie

18. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I checked into doing that on my Suburban... the bumper won't clear the sheetmetal! I agree, they look like they're mounted wrong, but unless I was to cut, grind and reshape, there's really no way to do it. At least on my Suburban.

-Brad