Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects New Shop Truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by THE-SYNDICATE, Mar 29, 2010.

1. 57 3100

57 3100

my doors dont rattle, but they are a real bitch when closing, having to make sure my inside door handle is in just the right place, and press in the outside button 4-5 times, then close the door.
    if i dont do all of the above, when i go to shut the door it pops back out at me.
    one day i will install bear claw latches and be done with it.

leonard

2. very nice! i love the stance

3. Weasel

Weasel

This is my all time favorite build thread on the HAMB - brilliant!

Did you have Kenny do your mufflers at Major Muffler in Santa Rosa? Kenny does great work.

A buddy replaced the still good Monroes on his '57 Chevy truck with Bilsteins and said it completely transformed the truck - he swears by them and even though they are expensive he said they are absolutely worth every penny and he would never run any other shock. Naake in Roseville is where he got them.

www.naake.com

I put them on the Willys and they completely changed the dynamic, ride and handling. Now I am a for life convert to Bilsteins too.

4. Robert, your electrician? What's his shop rate, and how deep is his back log? He obviously knows his stuff.......... :D
    Great idea on the hand prints. A dad that gets it!

Attached Files:

5. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Weasel,

Dude thanks for the kind words... I'm super stoked at all the positive responses I have had to this build. Many thanks to you and all the others that have given the thumbs up!!!

Yes, Kenny did my exhaust in record time with no BS and at a honest solid price! He's something else.... Love that place. I go for Vietnamese food right accross the street at least once a week so I stop in to look at the local weekly car show each time. Always soemthing going on around there with bitchin cars. Everytime I walk in he asks me if my roadster is done yet... I've had the damn thing for 10 years and it drives him nuts that its not running yet. He has only built like 20 cars in that time frame so each time I get that classic ????? Soon I say.... Soon....

great info on the shocks.... I will put this at the top of my list for Monday. I think they have a SP "sport series" which is better tuned for lowered cars. Might help the back on mine as its super bouncy now. My front shocks are some sort of ultra high end gas yadda yadda but I think htey don't realy work... It seems like they are just a solid stiff bar. ;) I'll look into these next week for sure.

Thanks Much,

Robert M.

6. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

MaxMan charges too much.... Always asking for more cookies after he agrees to the original amount... Gotta work on that boy.....

I will say his work is flawless as I have yet to have any issues at all with my wiring!!! Maybe one more cookie for him afterall... ;)

Best regards,

Robert M.

7. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

So we had a great weekend doing nothing and got home this afternoon. I had to take a quick stab at a few rattles and the pesky flat spot i have had with this thing. I started with the advance curve first. I thought it would be better to keep advancing as fast as the old bird would take it so I made the change to the light springs. Good response for sure but I noticed a slightly high idle and a minor flat spot still. I figured that the engine was idling high enough to actually get into the mech curve, I.e. Above 1000 so I backed it down a touch and then added about an 1/8 turn more fuel into the idle circuits.

Holy Shit!!!! What a runner!!! Now were hauln ass fir sure!

I can't wait to go to work tomorrow...

:) :) :)

Robert M.

8. 57tailgater

57tailgater
    from Georgia

Still an awesome thread! Got any pics of your engine bay? I'd like to see how all your details came together and was also curious what your fan-to-core distance is and how cool it stays. How did you do your accelerator linkage? Keep it up and get to finishing up the roadster! :cool:

9. hotrod 49

hotrod 49

Awesome truck! You've done a very nice job!

10. Mathew21

Mathew21

Wow you did a Great Job.

11. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I had a temp issue with my 455. Turned out to be the wrong sending unit at the motor. I got the correct one & it fixed it..

It's lookin good :cool:

12. tikistan

tikistan

Awesome thread! Just spent 2 hours reading it! Thanks for all of the info, A ton of great sources for me. Enjoy that Pbr, You earned it!

13. 57 3100

57 3100

robert, any updates on your truck ?

leonard

14. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Leonard,

I'm just shifting thru the gears and enjoying everyday that I drive this thing.... I gotta say that it might seem slightly lame but I really enjoy my trip to and from work now. I get to listen to this thing warm up and then drive it to work each morning. Then after a day of dealing with questionable assholes I can jump right back in and head home. I always walk thru the door totally relaxed. Yes I do head for my cocktail now and then but the truck really takes the edge off. Its bitchin and I'm happy as can be.

They just finished the freeway re-pave job and now its like driving on a sheet of glass everyday. That helps... Otherwise its a rough ride. My thoughts are heading towards c-notching the rear and re aligning the shocks for better performance. The front is OK but it too could use a touch more travel as well...

Right now I'm in full force collecting parts for my next build. This will be documented just like the truck on here but this time we will be building a Fuel Car. The Beebe Bros and Sixt dragster from 1966. I promise it will be sweet.....

More news soon,

Robert M.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

This is a great thread. Great job on the truck and good luck on the slingshot.

16. ol green

ol green

17. What a great looking truck - nice stance, BTW. I've followed the build - great job and good luck on the slingshot!

18. 57tailgater

57tailgater
    from Georgia

I thought you may have fallen off the earth, or were vacationing, or banned by the "boss" from spending all your time keeping all of us updated with this thread AND driving your cool ride. But then I figured you were probably doing what we would be doing with that truck - DRIVING AND ENJOYING IT! Great thread and glad you are enjoying it. Do you have any pics of the engine bay? I'm curious to see how it turned out. :cool:

19. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Pretty much just driving and enjoying! I have had a few issues with the carb that was first on the truck. Turns out that it was purchased several years ago but never installed on the truck until I put it on. The date code on the Carb was during a time in which Holley had a lead deficiency in the casting metal and the carbs were basically eaten apart by the modern gasoline. NEAT!!! Yep I got one of those! So every 4 days the truck would have sticky floats and run like shit. After about the 4th time I finally started noticing the metal coming apart inside and called holley. They identified the problem right away and sent me a new carb in exchange for this one. What an ordeal... I had another couple of 600's in the shop for the roadster so I nabbed one and rebuilt it real quick to keep driving while I waited for the new replacement. I still wish I had an Edelbrock 600 vs. this Holley but it runs fine for now.

Here's a few pics of the engine bay right at the time of start up. The bitchin white paint came right off the ram horns like ASAP so I will be changing out to a set of sanderson block huggers in the near future.

[​IMG]

and another... excuse the damn timing light... the wires are just kinda hanging all over the place...

[​IMG]

All the best,

Robert M.

20. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Rob,

Radiators work a lot better with a cap! :D Glad to see you enjoying the truck! I know the feeling. I look forward to running boring errands for the wife because I get to drive my truck that much more. And if your truck is any kind of hint, the dragster will be flipping sweet too!

21. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Terd,

Totally... I have on several occasions muttered.... "Hah it's OK babe.. I'll just run to the store real quick.... :)" Driving a 4-SPD is soooooo much fun....

The digger should be groovy! I'm having tons of fun mining data on the car and seeking out the parts. It's amazing how many people have touched this certain car. I have pretty much uncovered the entire history all the way to its bitter end in Australia.... Sadly the chassis was heavily modified and then abandoned into one of their local DUMPS in the early/mid 70's.... But I'm gonna build her as she was in late '65 early '66. When it rolled out of Lee Sixt's garage and kicked everyones ASS for a good chunk of time!

Righto!

Robert M.

22. grovedawg

grovedawg
    from Heber, UT

I'm jumping on at the end of the build, but it was an excellent read. I basically sat down and read it start to finish! Awesome work duder. Now you get to enjoy it. Congrats!

23. 57 3100

57 3100

wow. i love your truck, but that dragster is gonna be killer. love it.

leonard

24. TexasDart

TexasDart

I painted my exhaust manifold with some of that 6000 degree paint and so far so good. I figured it would burn off....but a year later it still looks great. I'll have to check out what kind of paint it is...I know it was really high temp...maybe it was 1500 degrees...now I'm second guessing my self.

25. DYNODANNY

DYNODANNY

Man I love this truck. Looks great.

26. 57tailgater

57tailgater
    from Georgia

Thanks for the engine bay pics - looks great despite the wires! Too bad the white didn't stay on the manifolds.

27. grf-x

grf-x

LOve the truck, gunna make a good shop truck. Nice pile of part, I thought i was the only nutcase that organised. :D

28. 57 3100

57 3100

any updates on your "shop truck" ?

leonard

29. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

30. wow! awesome work!

Wish i had half your knowledge.