Register now to get rid of these ads!

235 - it's not much, but it's getting there

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nashvegas99, Feb 21, 2011.

1. nashvegas99

nashvegas99

Well, after numerouse hours of wire wheeling and cans and cans of cleaner...the ol' 235 is finally getting somewhere. Didn't have to do much to the inside. It all looked and checked out good. Just going to get the tranny fixed up and then figure out what in the world I'm going to put it in. I'm in one of those backwards situations. I had the opportunity to get the engine and tranny for almost nothing and couldn't pass up the opportunity to have something to tinker with. I'm waiting on the chrome valve cover and the chrome side plate and the chrome timing chain cover, then it will be ready to wire up.

Attached Files:

2. nashvegas99

nashvegas99

wow, so several views but no replies.....i guess that just means others don't prefer it.

3. ClayPigeonKiller

ClayPigeonKiller

I like it! I've done a few paint job overhauls myself. Nice colors, thats how I paint all of mine.

4. Looks great to me!

5. mogara

mogara

I've got one just about like it that I'm getting close to firing up. I'm anxious to hear it since I bought it without hearing it run. I was told it was a runner when it was taken out of a '55 that got the pro street treatment...we'll see!

6. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard

Just found it. Looks good. I hope you haven't put the pan on for good yet, or have tapped the main cap.

7. nashvegas99

nashvegas99

Uhhhh, my first overhaul....educate me as to why I shouldn't have put the pan on for good yet.

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's the way projects get started. You get a good deal or someone gives you a part an it grows from there.

9. nashvegas99

nashvegas99

thanks by the way....just wanted a little feedback

10. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard

The bottom 2 bolts for the timing gear cover go in from the inside.

11. cederholm

cederholm

That looks great! I'm working on a 235 myself - hope it comes out as nice as yours.

12. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Or, as long as it was apart, you could have drilled the threaded holes in the cover oversize and tapped the holes in the engine to 3/8 thread; they're already the right size for tapping.

13. My favorite six, although i only ever owned one. wish id kept it.

14. nashvegas99

nashvegas99

kiss my ragged butt....you are so very right buzzard....I put it on late the other night....RIGHT AFTER looking at those 2 bolts....oh well, what's another gasket?

15. the-rodster

the-rodster

You could put that in all kinds of rides.

What color is the paint?

Rich

16. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard

I did mention the tapping in a post above. I figured that if he knew about that he would have said he did it. I debated long and hard about mentioning the bolts, but decided I would. It is much easier to fix now than if he waits 'till it is in something. I hope he doesn't tap it with the pan on and get all the chips in there.

17. nashvegas99

nashvegas99

I've gotten really good at using my homemade dowel pins to line it up. That may allow me to ask this question...my complete gasket set came with 2 grooved rubber gaskets for the ends of the pan and 2 thin cork gaskets for the ends as well...do I use both together? I didn't this time when I put it on (for good haha)...the grooved black ones looked practically brand new so I didn't use the cork...am I an idiot for asking this question?

18. Gabriel Howard

Gabriel Howard
    from OKC
    1. Okie Hambers

looks great stoney

19. nashvegas99

nashvegas99

I'm not going to tap it. I'm just going to remove the pan again and replace the gasket AFTER i put the timing cover back on. rookie mistake.
    I hate to admit it...but the color is Chrysler Imperial Red. Here's the reason...I grew up in ky in the 60's and 70's and I am a diehard KY Wildcat fan....I do not care for anything that is orange or closely resembling anything that is UofTenn colors.

20. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

now all you need is an AD truck to drop it in.

21. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard

The gasket set is probably made to fit the 216 engine too. The rubber ends will be for the 235 and the cork for the 216. Put a little extra glue in the corners where the side pieces and end pieces meet. Unless the pan end seals are actually new, I would not try to re-use them. As for your last question..... not at all.

22. nashvegas99

nashvegas99

so, I need an AD truck to put it in......are you hinting that you are going to give me one heck of a deal on a great AD truck to build (haha).....that sure is awfully nice of you....no, I couldn't - I mean it, I really couldn't...oh ok, if you insist.....

23. Snarl

Snarl

Looks good! but last I checked, Kentucky was blue, just like the blue flame six. just sayin'..... :D

216 wouldn't share a gasket set with a 235 because the head gaskets are different. The gasket set usually covers '53-62 235's, with the '53-54 engines being a bit different in the oil pan, water pump, etc.... use which ever fits the best.

in addition to tapping the timing cover holes, if you ever take the crankshaft out, get the snout drilled and tapped like a SBC, then you will be able to draw the damper on with an installer tool. This is especially useful if you ever need to try putting one back on while the engine is still in the vehicle.

If this is going into a '54-earlier truck, or '51-earlier car, drill the two holes in the front motor plate so you can use the stock front motor mount.
    You will also have issues with the water pump being too long if used in the earlier vehicles also, so shortening the pump and changing the pulley, adapting the earlier style pump, or moving the radiator forward is usually needed....

24. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard

Yes, all excellent suggestions. Thanks for the clarification on the pan gasket. It's been a lot of years since I've done much with these engines. Some things are getting a little hazy.

25. ErikDaViking

ErikDaViking

NIce! I love the straight sixes, they don't get the love they should. Any clown can run a V8, right? heh heh heh. Heres a few shots of my 250 thats going in my Chevy truck......

Attached Files: