Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who sells rim hoops?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 28hiboy, Feb 21, 2011.

1. 28hiboy

28hiboy
    from Milton, Fl

I need a pair of 16in by 8in wide hoops to make a set of rims. I have an order with a company, but after waiting and waiting, still no rims. Found out today that he is out of hoops. Wish he had said so when I ordered the end of Dec. when he gave me a two week time frame. Paid, no rims or a date that I can trust. Time to cut him loose. So I need the hoops to put in an early Ford center 40-48 style. Any ideas or a good vender? Thanks

2. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

I've talked to Jimmy at Rally America about 16" hoops, so I know he has them. Bought 15" steelies from him over a year ago. Great guy to deal with and he's a HAMB vendor.

3. 28hiboy

28hiboy
    from Milton, Fl

This is too funny. He is the one I am talking about. Spoke with him this morning. Thats how I know. His dad build a set of 15's about 30yrs ago and they are still perfect! Had to bump to 16's to clear my new Buick drums.

4. Agricultural trailer companies that make their own light trailers and stock lots of spares.

5. pitman

pitman

Maybe Wheelkid? If he is not the fellow you've been in touch with.

6. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Need hoops to make rims? Umm.........the hoops are the rims, you want to make wheels. Its hard to bolt just the rims onto a car, they often fall off:rolleyes:..............

I know its being 'picky' but it just annoys me.:D

Doc.

7. It,s a language problem :D To you & me it,s a wheel . To a yank it,s a rim. Same as a tyre and a tire. :confused:

8. x-shift

x-shift

Hiboy, you might try Diamond Racing Wheels out of Milwaukee. He builds a lot of different stuff, and I'm pretty sure he'll sell you a rim-hoop-wheel-thingy. He does a lot of custom stuff, and might even have something on the shelf for you. Tell him Jay from Strictly Mods sent you, and he'll charge you double!

http://www.diamondracingwheels.com/drwcustom.html

9. Actually its Rins in the neighborhood. As in I gaus me some 22" wheel rins.
    A hoop on the other hand is anything 20" and up nothing like 24" hoops on an otherwise stock '84 Cutless.

In the everlasting words of wisdom of the late great John Wayne, " Circle the wagons!!!!!"

Sometimes I get really annoyed and other times I just chuckle.

The wheelkid is a good place to start for rims, or hoops or whatever you want to call them. At least he would know where to send you.

10. 28hiboy

28hiboy
    from Milton, Fl

For those of you who are out of the loop LOL Jimmy=Rally America=Wheelkid He is the shop I was speaking of. Yes I like him, his dad did me right years ago. I just need the rims on a timely manner, not sold something he does not have and given dreams for a shipping date for something that does not exist. We all used different slang, I'm from Dixie. I know hoops might not be the proper term, but I beleive that most of ya'll understand just what I am speaking of. Thanks for any and all information. Randy

11. In the wheel building world, they've been called hoops for decades. Just because the rap culture has embraced the term doesn't mean the OP is trying to annoy the traditionalists.

A hoop gets welded to a center and becomes a wheel (or rim). The guy asked a very honest question using a term that the wheel industry uses.

Wow, did we not get our coffee this morning?

hotdamn likes this.
  12. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Just to clear it up...(if that's possible with all the 'knowledge' around here!)
    The hoops are the rims. They are round. Wheel rims are rims OF wheels. Centers are centers OF wheels. Wheels are centers WITH rims, or hoops.
    When assembled, they are centers IN wheels. Rims are hoops.
    See? It's just a big circle, returning to where it started. Round and round...
    "The wheels on the bus go round and round"... (song we all knew)

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
    Johnboy34 likes this.
  13. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Over here they're rumse. When they stick out of the wheelwells they're wardrumse.

14. Miller Tire lists hoops in various sizes.

15. the other me

the other me

Well starbucks kid(I mean flat-n-low), in this part of the country, the hoop that you so proudly claim it is has been called the "shell" of the wheel/rim assembly. When I would build rims I would order the specific shell or use one from a different rim assembly. The shell is what gets welded or riveted to the center....so, just because the area you are from calls it one thing, does not make it gospel. By the way, even in the agricultural/industrial applications around here it is also called the "shell". Now, wheres my beer....

+1 for marsh...I've bought a lot of thier wheels and wheel pieces over the years.

Aren't hoops the thingies, bolted to a backboard, that you shoot a basketball through?

16. badshifter

badshifter

It's this lack of proper steel wheel terminology that led to the making of one piece billet wheels! Better get it right before another wave of billet hits.

17. 28hiboy

28hiboy
    from Milton, Fl

Thanks for the great leads. TimeTraveller seems to have something. Will check first thing in the morning with Marsh Racing Wheels. Sorry for all the confusion on the proper words. Miler Tire calls them blanks. Marsh Racing Wheels calls them rim shells. Marsh Racing has alot of stuff for building your own wheels.

18. Gus68

Gus68
    from Minnesota

Rims, wheels, hoops, who cares, I knew what he was talking about. Just like to engine and motor thing..... I'm gonna go for a cruise on my Harley engine cycle.:D

19. 117harv

117harv

That's funny and true!^^^^^^

Wrecking yards have steel wheels/rims/hoops on later trucks and suv's. Dodge trucks come with 18 x 8 inchers. I'm sure there are 16 inchers on something. I picked up some 18 x 4
    inch space savers for a traditional project, all four for $30.00. Remove the centers and replace with the early ford centers. I checked stockton wheel awhile back and 18 x 4 inch hoops/rims were $110.00 each...ouch.

20. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last time I needed them, I got them from Speedway. They should be in heir race catalog, not the street rod one.

21. LowA100

LowA100

Speedway doesnt have 16"
    Call Marsh Racing Wheels - they keep em in stock

22. 28hiboy

28hiboy
    from Milton, Fl

Marsh Racing Wheels has the 16 X 8 with a 13.479 center hole dia. for 57.38 ea. Just what I need. Called Speedway too and they only have the 15's. Thanks gang.

23. 28hiboy

28hiboy
    from Milton, Fl

Received my rims from MRW, and I must say they are perfect! They know what they are doing and worked with me to give me just what I wanted. Rare in this day and age. PS They use products made right here in the U.S. of A. I'm a happy camper.