Register now to get rid of these ads!

Went down 4 some Tijuana tuck and roll and was robbed!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deville1904, Jun 13, 2008.

1. racastaneda

racastaneda

Sweet vinyl...I remember all my uncles and his freinds going down to TJ in the 70s for tuck&roll...looks like some things never change (that's a good thing). I live too close NOT look into this. "Ruin, I may take you up on the caravan offer...

2. DAPER DAVE

DAPER DAVE
    from N/A

These are my seats which where done By Champions in TJ
    [​IMG]

3. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

anytime i would be happy to take you down there.

4. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

I just knew this was cuming.........

5. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

You are correct, it's not we are greedy with prices, it's the bleeping overhead to stay in the black. My buddy's family owns a second generation tranny shop, when he walks in Monday morning he's already $5k in the red for that week!

6. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

Thanks hombres and dapper dave!

I love the morality police that try to be popular saying stuff they think they'll get props for like buy American.

Unless they have a way to turn a nickle into a quarter or spin straw into gold, there's a zero percent chance of me being able to afford a USA interior.

Getting your interior done in TJ is *TRADITIONAL*, and frankly I think it's pretty cool.

I can't afford it though, so I bought my own sewing machine and I'll do it myself. Hey, it'll be made in USA! :D

That's super nice of you to offfer your time to help guys out, Hombres.

7. DAPER DAVE

DAPER DAVE
    from N/A

Right on! :)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  8. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

TJ interior is a tradition in some respects,muttley on the hamb even has an old school water decal with "upholstered in TJ" on it.You have to go were the deal is thats the bottom line.We are all struggling now a days,we are all effected.Mexicans got to eat and feed a family as well.Not alot of people can hand over $5,000 for material for a car.$650 is alot more reasonable.The fact is the guys we go to are car guys doing this sine 1965,so i am going to help out another car guy,one that doesnt have the privilage i do of living and earning here in this great country.When your ready to do TJ, PM me and its on ,we will have a blast!

9. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

You're totally on, Hombres! If I decide to chuck the homemade idea I'll totally take you up on it. I'll pay for the beers, since I'm a big spender like that. heh :rolleyes:;)

Did you already tell us how your vinyl/foam/stitching have held up since you got them done?

Were they stuffed with horse manure?!? :D

I'm not even sure how that would work in the first place. Gotta be an urban myth.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
    skooch likes this.
  10. TwinTownTerror

TwinTownTerror
    from Minnesota

Now that is just horrible! :D

11. socalmerc

socalmerc
    from socal

12. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

johnny,all the foam and stitching is in perfect working order,no rips,tears or seams coming apart.Never had a problem with the work,either do the other guys who have had their interiors done there.the horseshit thing,dont believe it.it just doesnt make any sense what so ever.

13. HRod 50

HRod 50

Hey Guys, you dont have to go to TJ to get good quality interiors done at an incredible price.. These gus are awesome, in the heart of LA, and very very very cheap IMO. They're Mexican dudes, and do them the old school way...
    The main guy bought the shop from Nick Alexander, so dont let the name fool you. 100% Mexican rasa: Tell them Hugo with the Mercury reffered you.

Nick Alexander Restoration
    2523 E. Slauson Ave.
    323 582-7441

14. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

Thanks, HRod50!

Can you tell us what kinda prices you're talking?

I'm pretty impressed the foam has held up so nice,Hombres! That stuff costs $$$

You don't have any info on chrome there by any chance, do you? I've heard friend of a friend reports but that's about it.

15. Muttley

Muttley

Its an old Roth decal:

[​IMG]

16. wood470

wood470

I had two cars done in TJ in the sixties. a 56 olds and a 57Chevy. Both cars cost 350 dollars and took one day to complete. One guy with a sewing machine, a de,livery guy on a bike came by and brought materials. We got there about 8 in the morning and left around 5 with a new interior. Seats door panels carpets headliner and an illegal trying to get across the border. I think it was a rite of passage for kids around LA but it was fun and cheap. Plus we had no drugs or cow shit cfor stuffing. Guess thats cause we stayed there all day. Boyd s guy on TV couldn t touch that time.

17. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

Just traded my finished & mohaired 41 Chev Coupe for a 53 Coupe Deville that is almost finished except for ragged interior,I asked about Leather.they're talking Thousands up here. you did Good ! pic of my 41 and a pic of a Cad that looks like mine.waiting for the mud & Snow to dry up before we pull the Cad to My place.

Attached Files:

18. xtralow

xtralow
    from So Cal

Cool decal

19. A.D.D.

A.D.D.
    from PacNW

DAMN. All I got was a DONKEY SHOW!

20. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Muttley, how is it you keep getting mentioned on threads EVERY year? If your name appeared on a thread thats proof that every year for as long as the HAMB exists it will pop up with regularity!

Honest.

(PS Need more Duct Tape on those interiors!)

Doc.

Bored.............................

21. wsdad

wsdad

The American craftsmen and the Mexican craftsmen get close to the same money in their pockets at the end of the day. But the American craftsmen have to charge extra to cover insurance (for frivolous lawsuits), workman's comp, medicare, medicaid, social security, income tax, sales tax, property tax, taxes on electricity, gasoline and natural gas, import tax, export tax, li$cence$, permit$, building code$, regulation$, and environmentalists who won't let cheaper energy sources or materials be used (more frivolous lawsuits). Once the American gets some money in his pocket, everything around him costs more to buy, for all the same reasons. That's why all the manufacturing jobs are going over seas. That's why you can get an interior done in Mexico for $900.00. That would be the price in America too, if all the other expenses were taken away.

22. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

Of course you were robbed. This is 2012, not 1952.

23. jazzfidelity

jazzfidelity

thanks for the tip, looking for equal quality work in kansas City but never know who you can trust..

24. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Wonder what their paint jobs cost? Back in High School, one of the guys took his '57 to T.J. to get upholstery. Came back a week later, they had sold his car.

25. Muttley

Muttley

Apparently that bribe money is working. ;) :D

My words and actions will still be annoying people long after I'm dead.

[​IMG]

26. Actually it was 2008 on the op

27. jazzfidelity

jazzfidelity

28. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

worth the trip for me it looks like...

29. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I've heard the old donkey shit story since about 1955. But firsthand info goes like this:

One of the older guys in Santa Clara (1958, he was 20) had his '49 Ford Tudor upholstered in T.J. in '56. Upholstery was 2 years old, give or take a month (summer both years)

Some stitching was rotted, drivers seat, my Mom told him bring the seat over, she'd take it apart and fix it...(Mom was caucasian, we all were) but she was a graduate seamstress.
    With a commercial Singer. (sewing machine)
    She pulled some thread, and stuffed inside the rolls were rolled-up sheets of newspaper!
    (and they were printed in Spanish!)
    Now, not all the rolls were 'paper-stuffed'; the centers of the cushions (where you sat) were stuffed with cotton. (not clean white, either...had little burrs and stickers in it)

She told Johnny, (car owner) and suggested they replace all the stuffing with cotton.
    It was amazing...when she stitched it back up, the needle found MOST of the original stitch holes...she used thread pulled thru beeswax.