Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 29' RPU Build thread - or the other car i didnt need

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dynaflash_8, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

Ok fellas, here we go.

So the story on how i got my 29' starts here.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=547338

and if your too lazy, heres a mock up shot.

TADA!

[​IMG]

So its a 29' Roadster pickup. Kinda a rare little rig for not so sunny washington state. Its also a barn find to boot.

So plans are a mid fiftys style rig. Slight z in the frame in the back, 32 axle up front on wishbones, 49' plymouth rearend, flathead, blah blah blah.

For now im still collecting parts, but once i get some room in the garage ill start on it.

Heres what i picked up this past weekend. Been sitting under a staircase in a buddys uncles basement since the mid fiftys. Mind you a HEATED basement to boot. Came out of his hotrod he had. Block is a 51' 8BA, with a merc EAB crank, offy heads, and a fenton 2 carb with 8ba hollys. He had it completely machined and a valve job done, but sold the car before he put it back togeter. Also picked up a 30k mile 59ab motor that is damn near complete, but that one might go up for sale. Gonna mate it up to a 3 speed with od, or a 5 speed, which ever comes first.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

59ab

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. you're killing me smalls. :rolleyes:

3. You definitely "needed" this. You're life was not complete until now.

4. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

by the way, the 59ab turns over now too. :rolleyes:

It does have one tooth busted on the crank timing gear, but i would yank the crank anyway and have the entire thing tanked.

5. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

6. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Good start! I can probably dig ya out a 59a timing gear, If'n ya cant find one....

....If ya aint got atleast one A in your hand you are just bluffing....

7. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

for the day boys

8. Nice. Definitely going to get tanked if I get it. I've probably got a good timing gear on one of these junkers I've got laying around too. That 8ba is bad ass BTW!

9. hasty

hasty

Very nice find. Good luck with the build.

10. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

Had a good swapmeet and i guess im running fenders now!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Nice start. Not just rare in Washington....but anywhere. Mine took about 4-5 years to build. Good luck on your great project.

12. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

Everyone needs a roadster pickup!
    TP

13. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Travis, Recover from the GNRS yet ?Dave

14. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

Great find!Body looks pretty solid.Good luck with the build.

15. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

Not to hijack but...
    Energy-wise yes
    money-wise no!
    TP

16. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

So heres some more progress. I cant even fathom being able to afford to get the flatty running, so im running a 230 flat 6 from a 54 mopar. Suck it! Got some work on the body done and been attempting to collect all the parts. Im FLAT broke so im trying to do the stuff that doesnt require me to spend money.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Those Mopar Flat-6's may not be as sexy as the 59 A/B you have on the stand, but they run like a top, and they fit the budget! That old 6 in Big Blue had 74k on her, and she ran like a sewing machine....and is still going in that '47 of yours. Git 'r done! :D

18. anteek

anteek

Can you give more details on the I-6 instead of the flatty? did it require a lot more length? How much power do think you gave up?

19. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

the only thing i had to do to fit the I6 was was cut a small notch in the firewall. The back row of head bolts will be in the firewall. Recessed about 2 inches in.

As for power, i dont feel like ill have given any up. Even for being a smalle displacement engine, the mopars breath better, and with twin carbs and headers, it should be about 100 horse (stock flat 8s were 90 i believe, these mopars are around 90 stock as well). Plus, it'll have the advantage of better torque than the flat 8s.

20. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

heck yea pete. I figure it'll move that roadster plenty fast.

21. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

So im still collecting parts for this thing. Picked up some 40 brakes for the front and got my splash aprons.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Buuuuut i decided that wide 5s are much cooler!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

so i guess im also running a banjo rearend now as well! So with that, i need juice brakes. Found a junk banjo with juice brakes!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Got some headlights and a model A headlight bar. Dunno what the lights are but their cool!

[​IMG]

Oh yea, theres also this axle i have. Anybody know what it is?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Still cant decide on a motor. Got this little 260 but i think im gonna go back to V8 flathead

[​IMG]

22. Good stuff Marty! Wide 5's are cool.
    That is a 32 axle you have there.........i think, from the dark pics.

23. Ted H

Ted H

Marty,
    You've got the makings of an iconic hot rod there.
    Just a couple of comments---
    The front axle as you have it mounted is in "backwards" The tie rod should be behind the axle, otherwise you completely ignore the Ackerman theory. Mounting the tiedrod in front will almost certainly result in handling problems. I know that some people do mount it in front but I always wonder about the handling.

Re: engine choice. If you really want to you the Mopar engine nothing really wrong with it but their really is no comparison in power between
    it and a Ford/Mercury flat head with the 4" crank and future
    resale value between the two will be far and above for the flat head V8 and they all get sold sooner or later. If that hopped up V8 is available other, than the initial cost, it should not be very much the use it ( believe me, I know about budget builds) Please seek the advise of other builders on here who have a lot more experience than me.

I really like your start and look forward to updates.
    Ted

24. tattedfordguy

tattedfordguy

Your RPU is turning out badass!!!

25. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

Thanks Ted! I know the spindles are on backwards. Everything is just kinda "sitting" on there. Call it a mock up until i actually start on it. Plans include cross steer using a 47' ford box. Im really leaning toward an 8ba. I have one thats all machined and ready, just not the money for the valves and pistons. I probably will keep looking till i find a decent motor for a decent prices. With a v8 flathad, ill end up using a 3 speed OD trans from a 52 merc, so i can cruise the freeway.

26. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

bump for the day boys

27. Looking good! Flathead 6 or Flathead 8, that little RPU is so light, it'll fly either way!

28. ol'skool29

ol'skool29

HELL YEAH marty, cant wait to see what you do with this one, you may give me the inspiration i need to drag my 29 rpu out of the shed and get back to work on it!

29. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

More updates. Going with a flatty V8.

Motor is an EAC truck that i picked up cheap. Inside is clean but 2 cylinders have some minor pits. Threw on some old speed equipment i have. Plan to use a 3 speed/OD trans

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lifter valley. Had 2 stuck valves, but were easy enough to fix. No wonder they said it had no compression on 2 cylinders. Was rebuilt and is 80 over.

[​IMG]

Quick mock up. I made the right choice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]