Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sleepers! Anybody into sleepers here?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by waaaypastredline, Jan 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 59f100

59f100
    from USA

Attached Files:

2. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Finally!

Some more good humor in this dry thread

3. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

ooohhh I like this one too.

4. teddyp

teddyp

got love the farm truck!!!

5. jersey greaser

jersey greaser

we had a few my dad had the 2 family sleepier's 64 biscy wagon, 340hp 409 3 on the tree od. latter a 69 biscy wagon with a 396, granie had a 66, 289 falcon with 3 on the tree,
    one of my own was a 36 poncho rumble seat, 3 window, the late pappy hough from paterson nj stuffed in a very hot running solid lifter gto 389 with a muncie. made a 58 poncho injection unit fit onto it. hood down and sitting it looked like a bone stocker. start it up! every one knew it was hot. no lowering,no chop. the other was a 71 vega with a 327/350 stuffed into it. only give away was the tubed rear and big tires.

6. 1320/150

1320/150

Kind of like saying the only give away was the blower?????

7. 1320/150

1320/150

Out of all the sleepers I have seen in the last decade this dude has it figured out... it doesn't get better.....

8. thunderkiss65

thunderkiss65
    from Detroit

70 Maverick, 250 straight 6, TO3 turbo, 500cfm Holley 2bbl, 3in exhaust.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Holy cow! I want that engine for my bird. What's he running for a gearbox?

-Dave

10. Greezeball

Greezeball

Revenuers car or she's 'bout ta pick up a load o' hill billy paint thinner :cool:

11. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

[​IMG]

another fast car in its day...53 Olds with 303 Rocket. Fitted with a four barrel and dual exhaust. Dual Range Hydromatic...will easily hit 120mph. Fastest car on the road in 53? Of course we have the correct poverty caps on black wheels with blackwall tires. Very dark brown metallic finish. Nothing flashy about this car.

another whiskey car?

12. thunderkiss65

thunderkiss65
    from Detroit

It used to be my car, sold it about 15 years ago. Trans was a C4 with a 3000 rpm stall converter. I think this car may have been an Ak Miller creation. It was sold at Glen Organ Ford in Compton CA, and was built out there. Who else turbo charged inline 6 Fords? It had a custom water cooled aluminum intake (draw thru to turbo), and other custom one off stuff on it.

13. Greezeball

Greezeball

That's what I'd be thinking.

14. Cinderellas Glass Sleeper

Attached Files:

15. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

That's very cool. Being an Ak Miller creation, I'm surprised it doesn't also use propane.

Since everyone around here wants the same price for a rebuildable 200 or 250 as they want for a rebuildable 289 or 302, dare I ask what a full-bore Falcon Six like that costs?

-Dave

16. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Yea, I have a real weakness for Chevy B bodies...I buddy of mine used to have a '68 that I spent a LOT of time working on, we had a lot of "fun" with that car.

17. HenryJGuy

HenryJGuy
    from Dayton, TN

I'm a huge fan of sleepers--so much that I wrote a book. This has been a TON of work, but it is the first of its kind--an entire book dedicated to Sleepers. It is being published by CarTech books and it's available for Pre-Order right now on Amazon! Got some of the best sleepers in the country in there, as well as some cool tricks of the trade. It officially hits the shelves on October 15th.

http://www.amazon.com/Street-Sleepers-Art-Deceptively-Fast/dp/1934709581/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1297792746&sr=1-1

[​IMG]

18. Paul Y

Paul Y

Well I have just pre ordered that! Would ask you to sign it for me but then I would just be branded another fan boy....

And back to the thread....

P.

19. Left Turn

Left Turn
    Member Emeritus
    from Omaha, NE

was that nova in hot rod a while back? had intercoolers stashed in the wheel wells if I remember right?

20. Greezeball

Greezeball

Been thinking of this for a while. My ideal sleeper would have to be a 52-54 Ford more door basic mainline sedan with a realy big FE and 4 gear.

21. nifty

nifty
    from UK

I know it's not HAMB friendly but as sleepers go a Beetle like this is mustard. The cabriolet Beetle's roll cage is a give away when the roof is down but when it's up, you can't see a 9.3 sec car!

both of which are running British number plates (not sure if either is an ex US car though)

22. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

This WAS our sleeper.
    A simple I-6 badged 4-door '64 nova with a 350/350.
    It was tweaker rigged when I got it,
    but I found the special nova oilpan and valve covers etc. to make it look period.
    [​IMG]
    The first time my wife drove to work,
    she went around the corner sideways,
    fortunately corrected herself. Whew.

Loud exhaust too,
    there was no sneaking around with that car.
    Could hear her comin home a mile away.

We couldn't afford to drive it.
    Got decent freeway mileage but around town was like 8mpg.
    She would run out of gas all the time.
    [​IMG]

I miss that one,
    but it had bad mojo,
    always had some issue, until I sold it of course!

TP

23. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

Yep, the cab is pretty infomous over here, wheels up action all the time, and regularly street driven. I think the owner drove it from england to belgium for Euro Bug In. I believe he moved out to the US, taking the car with him, last year.

24. Fiatdude

Fiatdude
    from SoCal

The Yellow car belongs to Richie Webb who brought it over from England to SoCal to race it -- It hauls butt

Here is my last sleeper -- I know, I know -- Almost non-HAMB friendly, but the Zo6's sure hated it on the road course at Fontana. And a lot of V8's hated it at the drag strip LOL

Attached Files:

25. spooler41

spooler41

I'm kind of liken the current HRM cover car, the 53 Chrysler wagon. I don't think they come any better than that one.

...........Jack

26. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

......Exactly........

27. Love sleepers. I've had a couple. Not monsters but faster than you would expect.
    I LOVE the idea of the old moonshine runners. My great grand pappy made shine during in the 30's. Always wondered if he had a runner.

28. Yeah, my grandpa was a shine runner back in the late 30's. Said he had a model T roadster pick up with a 2 speed axle and a hand milled head (claimed him and his brother tied a rope to each end and pulled it back and forth across the big flat sides of an old grinding wheel at a mill his brother worked at) Said they stacked rocks and bags of anything they could find on the head for weight, took them a full week.

Really wish I had a picture of that old rig, my gramps claimed it would pull to 65mph with a full load.

29. LOWDOWN2

LOWDOWN2
    from Ontario

Yup...fill the roof, yank the cage and turbo, add 4 seconds, and that's me, circa '70!

30. 46Chief

46Chief

Does anybody remember a 1975-1980 Silver Cadillac Seville, built by a guy in Los Angeles in the early 80's? I think his name was Big John something or other. It had a full NASCAR tube frame/suspension, and a twin turbo Big Block Chevy. It was a featured car in ROAD & TRACK or HOT ROD magazine. I sure would like to see pictures of it or find out what happened to it. It was a bad motherfucker!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.