Register now to get rid of these ads!

Photo shop me some headlights/win something kool.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by finkd, Feb 18, 2011.

1. koolkemp

koolkemp

Normally I am not a fan of square lights on anything, that being said I relly like them in this application, the go with the grille perfectly ! Also I think its the lack of the cheesy 70's style plastic bezel that makes them work as well , in a way I agree that the wheels and tires may be more out of place on the truck than the lights? But never mind that I wanna see some more detail pics or build pics of all the cool metalwork ! If you do end up changing them please dont do the Mercedes!!

2. I think the square headlights work with the truck too, but with a few changes. I would make a small rectangular parking light inline and the same height as the lowest grill opening and with the same radius-ed end as the grill opening and then I would make a single large rectangular/square headlight opening that is aligned with the top of the upper grill opening and the height of the two upper grill openings combined.

I would also have the raised peak around the light openings match the peak around the grill openings. Eliminate the wide-ish vertical flat on the current light opening.

Something like this....

[​IMG]

3. jfrolka

jfrolka

68 mercedes

Attached Files:

4. POLYFRIED 35

POLYFRIED 35

I'm diggin this ... but it throws the back fender off a bit. JMO

5. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

65 GTO/LeMans lights and bezels. Shape the fender around the lights. You could try the full size lights too, Bonneville, Catalina, since the truck has some mass to it and the GTOs might seem small. Same style but different, 67-8 Cadillac. These are all big and stylish cars that appear well rounded and slab-sided at the same time. I dig how the vertical lights lower the profile of the front sheetmetal. It goes a long way toward the overall balance. Still, the rest of truck has a "forward lean" to it and those vertical GM lights would have to tip forward at the top to look right. I don't hate the square lights, but I dig what you're feelin about em. Can't photoshop, but maybe someone else could.

6. Sunshine14

Sunshine14

caddy idea is kinda neat but then again im kinda biast lol

7. GEBHARD

GEBHARD
    from TX...

fuck em all...keep them .... i like them......

8. T McG

T McG
    from Phoenix

Best one yet, it gives it a real aggressive look.

9. fearnoevo

fearnoevo
    from Iowa

I'm no photo chopper but that grill screams 68 chevy pickup to me. 68 chevy headlights to complete the look?

10. badshifter

badshifter

Try these semi truck (White) headlights mounted up n down. [​IMG]

11. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

60's mersadys head lights like the ones choppit used on his merc they would fill the space nice

12. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I was thinkin the same thing. 67 European Mercedes headlight assemblies.

Attached Files:

13. cheveey57

cheveey57

The square light work on this truck but if you are going to change them, this is the winner IMO.

14. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

They need to be frenched, no stainless headlight trim and need to be lowered and moved in a bit.

15. You´d be into a lot of reshaping to make the Mercedes lights work.

I would remove the bottom headlights, and reshape the upper openings with a curved lower shape, and then add your frosted covers. Sort of an inverted tombstone shape. Maybe angle the top of the light openings just a touch, to add a hint of a frown.

[​IMG]

16. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

What about just some old fashion single round traditional headlights....... You know, the less is more thing..... Cool truck by the way.........

Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
  17. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

Frosted covers are great looking... till you have to drive at night.

Thanks cheveey57, cheques in the mail! ;)

18. pro1street

pro1street

Or maybe some Corvair Lights.

Attached Files:

19. adamshumard

adamshumard

I think 69 Firebird buckets would work great. Gets a slightly rounded but still rather square bezel with a standard round light. It would trick alot of people into thinking "oh round headlight" when it really was rather square and kept with the overall flow of the truck.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

20. finkd

finkd
    Member Emeritus

THIS......Is the best i've seen yet. very nice, it works.

21. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

I agree on the quad Firebird lights. Good job on the PS work, Adam. Also, that ridge below the grille openings needs to go...make a new panel to roll it under to match the same way the top area rols down to the grill openings.

22. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very kool! The Chrome bezels match the shape of the truck and it still has that 60's
    kustom style that your wanting. You didn't ask but it would get my vote.

Happy Trails, Mick

23. triumphtony

triumphtony

Nice work. You got my vote.

24. BCR

BCR

The firebird lights are nice! Good idea.

25. flynstone

flynstone

if it wqas mine i would throw a split camero type bumper on and walk away i like the present headlites you will get a lot more greif with those euros

26. KSLeadslinger

KSLeadslinger

Once again, I say go with the square that is currently there. We have cussed & discussed those things for some 20+ years now...they gotta stay!! Why you say, because that was the origional vision for the truck not to mention they just look right in the front end of that thing. It is a Kustom truck and if you look at the history of Kustoms, they are all about changing/altering them, making it different than it was to begin with as well as different than everyone else. Everything you have done to the truck is really just a extension of what was origionally planned when the build was started so nut up and leave the quads. They may bash you, they will forever as you why, hey it's all about being different and making a statement, that's why it's a Studebaker..it's different. Don't let them boys from the left coast try and tell you how to build it. Those things have forever been a subject of controversy, I say leave them and let everybody keep talking.

27. jasone

jasone

Hold on a sec, don't lump all us left coast guys into the same basket. I for one love the square lights as is, they just look right. That being said, the only PS that caught my eye was the firebird buckets. It's your truck and you can change 'em or leave 'em....really doesn't matter what anyone's opinion is...."opinions are like assholes, everybody has one and they all stink".

28. finkd

finkd
    Member Emeritus

yea, I know..... what was I thinking of even considering changing these lights, what would people say? haha ,....who would they have to poke fun at then? I have made up my mind of what I'm going to do, you will all have to go to salina, this summer to see what decision I have made, and to all who helpped on this thank you, and to those I gave a hard time and had fun with thanks for the laughs. I know everytime i drive this truck , or bring it up, it always turns to poking fun at the fat kid with square lights....LOL

29. KSLeadslinger

KSLeadslinger

Sorry bout lumping you in with everyone else jasone, my comment was more directed at how the world seems to think that the left coast is the standard.

Jeff, not to worry, regardless of what you decide it will be sure to tell you it was wrong. If you keep the square lights I will tell you they are ugly, you change them to something more traditional, I will tell you the square looked better, and that is just cause I love to give you shit...but then again you should be used to that by now.

30. finkd

finkd
    Member Emeritus

that would explain why you call me shithead ??lol