Register now to get rid of these ads!

Car ads that say; buy it now or it goes to the crusher

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gary 4T950 Chevy Guy, Feb 18, 2011.

1. I'm sure some of you have seen those kinds of car ads where they say; buy it now (always at kind of a high price) or it goes to the crusher (which is always a much lower price). Well - the other day a guy offered to sell me the remains of a 51 Chevy for $600 & if I did'nt buy it he was going to take it to the crusher where he said he could get 300 to 350. My point; Why is it so many people want to get the car guys to pay more and if they can't get it - they sell it for way less for scrap??? I just don't get it. How about you? Have any of you run into these kinds of encounters yet or seen those kind of ads? It's a shame how much has gone to the crushers over the past couple of years.

2. merc49

merc49
    from illinois

its usually a bluff,what i do is call em on it.i go to look at car and they say i can crush it and get 350 but if you want it its six hundred.thats when you say oh your going to crush it?,would you mind if i follow you to the crusher with my trailer so when you sell it to the crusher i can give him 50 bucks to just load it on my trailer.they will then come up with some other bs as to why they want six hundred for a 350 dollar car.try it with the next guy that says that shit and you will experience what i just said,its a good way to have a little fun on a saturday.

3. Zombie Duck

Zombie Duck

Nope we don't have people like that here in town, just people that won't sell their cars even though they have been sitting in the same spot for 30 years.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  4. #1: Scrap's $200 a ton or so right now.

#2: The scrap man will buy it on the spot and doesn't give a shit what's wrong, what's missing, what's rotted.

#3: If it's only worth scrap price, then why should I sell it to anyone else? The scrap man may stick it to me on the price, but at least I don't have to put up with all kinds of bullshit to get paid and get rid of the car.

You know and I know I might be able to part it out and do more if I put up with all the nonsense to do that, but the nonsense alone of me wanting $500 and asking $600 and guys bitching because I won't take their $300 is enough to get me to haul it off to scrap and fuck you then. At $600 you're paying roughly what the car is worth after it's processed for scrap (they're worth more crushed or shredded) anyways. There's a ton of parts you can sell off 49-54 Chevys, if you can't do $600 parting it out and get some things you need for yourself, then you need to sit back and evaluate if you're really a car guy or not.

Now say I own 350 old cars in a yard and you want to buy one. I have to take the time to show it to you, maybe help you haul it out, risk getting sued by you or anyone with you if someone gets hurt in the process, risk possibly people coming back to steal things later..... or have the scrap guy come pay me cash on the dollar, take them all, doesn't care what shape they're in, he's insured, and he does all the work. All I have to do is take the money to the bank and not put up with all the assholes who come around to whine about things and buy nothing.

It's really not that hard to understand. The more shit you give me the less sympathetic or willing to deal with you I am going to be. So either buy it or say goodbye -

Also, scrap yards are in business to make money. I've actually bought cars from the scrap yard - I had to pay what he was going to get for it as scrap metal, you don't go up and give the scrapyard $50 for something they just gave me $350 for, you go up and if you get it you're probably going to pay around $700 unless you know somebody that will cut you a break.

5. Damn, scrap here is only $135/ton right now

6. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

you've never said that.

7. badshifter

badshifter

Nobody is scraping those cars. Look at any other ad for all the crap cars out there,and they don't write buy my Daewoo Leganza or it goes into the crusher! It's a big chain yank to get us to buy their overpriced stuff.

8. caseyscustoms

caseyscustoms
    BANNED
    from st.joe, MO

very well said. ive sold a 500 dollar car for 300 to a scrapper and never had to deal with people.

9. I forgot to mention, too - the closest scrapper to us sells NOTHING; it all leaves processed on trucks. I even asked them when a decent mid-40s Dodge truck turned up; no dice. Once saw a really nice O/T '71-'73 Mustang in there - it looked like it was a day's detailing away from being able to take to a car show. There it was on top of two other cars in a stack. Gone now.

10. wvenfield

wvenfield

Same here. Last one I sold, I called the guy up, he came and picked it up, loaded it, handed me the money and that was that.

Sometimes a little extra isn't worth dealing with a smart ass.

11. 345winder

345winder
    BANNED

because...MOST times its way to much of a headache too sell anything(ie people call/email the seller asking a hundred questions and wanting pics of every spot of rust,when the seller has to take his time to jack up the car and take pics of the underside to NEVER hear form that poteintial buyer agian after the pics are taken)....it gets really fucken old,,,so i can se the sellers point,.,,imagine if he was selling a 30k car?????

12. On the other side of the coin... I advertised a few cars that I was tired of looking at. I set the prices at less than scrap because I didn't want to see them go to waste.

Many people looking.. Everybody wanted to lowball me.. In a few of the ads I mentioned that I was going to scrap them if they didn't sell.. After about 7 weeks of bullshit and worthless promisis, A few sold,
    I gave a couple to the guy that was storing them for me and the rest went to the scrap yard. One of the cars that was scrapped was a pretty straight rust free '60 Falcon. I know I will catch shit on here from some of the car heros.. But, Like i said... 7 weeks....

Next time you buy a new microwave, See if it smells like an old ford.

13. henryj429

henryj429

Here in the great white North you only get the "good" price for scrap if you haul the car in yourself and wait in line for the scale, then wait in line to get paid - blah, blah, blah. With it being such a pain to scrap a car, its easy to call the bluff.....

You want $600? The car is worth $350 for scrap, so I'll give you $350 and save you half a day of work. I'll even load it myself. It usually works.

From the seller's point of view: last fall I unloaded a 55 Desoto (less grille and hemi). I sold it to a demo car guy for a hundred bucks. He picked it up and loaded it - saved me the scrap yard hassle ad I get to watch it get wrecked at the County Fair next year.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  14. 345winder

345winder
    BANNED

you answered it better than i could!

unrelated (but not really),,,i have accounts at my job who each spend 1500-2000 grand a pop no questions asked a couple times a week.,,some asshole came in today wanted me to break open a $8.00 box of nuts,,an $8.oo box!!!! he bitched and bitched ,we finally scounged up the nuts without breaking a box and when it was all said and done,he wiped out his credit card to pay $3.50 ?!?!?!? wtf? he paid $3.50 for 6 nuts when he coulda bought a box of 25 for 8 bucks,,gave us all that grief,,,,yeah,,i have no issue seing the guys reason for sellng to the scrap guy..

15. I have to agree. I am real tired of some ahole saying he'll be there to look at my stuff, then waste the whole day waiting for a "no show" or worse he comes with some "buddies" (thug type) scoping out everthing you have to come back an rip it off at the five finger discount. Some will argue with you (they always know more about your shit than you do). Iv'e even stripped parts that I think will sell, offered them at give away prices on CL, just to take hundreds of pics answer a plethora of questions and then, no follow through. I would give stuff away if I new it would help a build, but when I offer a "good deal" or advertise "parting out" I have had people email and ask what I have, then say they don't need anything but was hoping to turn it over to make a buck of their own. Damn drug dealer types. Screw them all, I just take it to the yard-makes me sick,just too many A-holes have ruined it for everyone IMO.

16. Squablow

Squablow

This should be taken as a great lesson on how to buy cars. No one wants to deal with BS. If you want something, bring a trailer, bring cash, and be prepared to take it with you that day. If you know they're going to get $300 in scrap, offer them $350 cash on the spot, and let them know they won't have to haul it/you'll take it with you right away.

I get tons of good deals on stuff all the time because I'm the no-bullshit buyer.

17. joe_padavano

joe_padavano

X2. A wad of bills is always a good way to close a deal.

18. 62nova

62nova

I've given cars away before having them crushed.

19. screwball

screwball

Ive worked in junk yards ive bought junk yard cars and cars from the crusher yards as well as pulled stuff off the high way going to the crusher. Most guys want the cash with as little hassle as possible. And no bull I have also walked away from the morons who will and still do crush old cars for fun no matter how much you offer cash in hand trailer in yard. Its there property to do what they want no matter how stupid I think they are. There are arguments on both sides and no one will win. If its not worth the $$ to you or me. let them crush it. People get reputations for being stupid and they may as well crush because no one in there area will deal with them. Happens all the time guys with fields of cars and over active egos. On the other hand are the guys with who sell fair no parts left and only a few people know of the secret stash. Its a double edge sword.

20. screwball

screwball

Me to.

21. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Same as the other thread on here a while ago, about the "dont waste my time" type ads. I wont even respond to the ad. Life is too short to waste it dealing with that kind of arrogant asshole.

22. I've tried to give away s car... a complete '52 Ford, Ended up parting it out, and taking the carcass in for scrap... Sad way for car to end up after 50+ years, but I had no room left to store it...

23. Fordtudor37

Fordtudor37

There are so many "wanna be" car guys out there that hey ruin it for true builders.

Between the "I'mma gunna's" and the "Canna get it's" within a month of advertising something for sale, your sick and tired of the BS generated, because you can't use it to heat your house or your garage.
    I'm not talking about just the "newbies", but some of the "has been's" are just as bad nowaday's. They hit you with a thousand questions and you never hear from them again.

People have no respect or courtesy to call and tell you they aren't going to show up as they said they would.

I'm selling a 1948 Ford Club Coupe project and have have had more calls and email requests for pictures, or just BS phone calls that do nothing, but waste my time and take me away from my family.
    I can fully understand when the junk man calls and there's cash in his hand, people say
    "F'em all, give me the money it's your to crush".

The hobby has changed over the last 10 year's and I feel it's not for the better as honest people are few and far between. I've built street rod's and hot rod's for 26 years now and I will not call anyone about parts or cars for sale unless I have the money in my hand.
    I joined "The HAMB" hopeing to find honest car guys and builders, but with some hesitation, because of getting burned so many times before.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
  24. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I understand the hassle free deal of someone having cars hauled away for scrap, but I've never understood scrappers' mindset of insisting on crushing and processing a car for scrap price when they could flip it and make many times what they'd get for scrap weight. I don't mean the guy who wants them to become a dismantler and wants one piece of trim. I'm talking a guy who wants to buy the vehicle outright as it comes in the gate.
    Example; They pay $300 for a 40's car. A potential "customer" offers $1500 at their gate and they tell him "no, haul ass-we're shredding it". I read this sort of scenario all the time here. If their steel mill was paying them $500 and another mill came along and offered $1500, they'd take it. I realize it's a one-off sale, but isn't it worth a grand? Aren't they in business to make the most $ they can from everything that comes through their gate?
    We're sentimental about old cars being crushed and they're not. It's just metal to them but aren't they interested in making the best profit for themselves?

25. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Its because its not worth it to them(scrappers) to deal with peoples bullshit! They do it once and next thing you know every swingin dick wanna be hot rodder is prodding around the scrap yard tryin to haggle the guys like its a used car lot. They might make a little cash on 1 or 2 deals here and there but overall its only going to slow down the productivity of what really makes there real profit SCRAP!

26. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

its called extortion , they know car guys hate to see useful material scrapped so they pull a bluff hoping to get top dollar for their parts rig , most times they just come off looking like an A**hole

27. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

When the guy that bought the car decides to title it and finds out he cant and comes back complaining then what? If they track the title(if there was one) to the guy who called the scrapper and he gets a call asking where the title is he's going to say WTF and guess who his next call will be? Mr.Scrapman thats who.

28. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

Gary....it's so simple bro! People are dicks! The end! :)

29. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

if your willing to sell a classic car that could be saved or used for parts to the scrapper when someone is willing to give you the same price and NOT scrap it, then your not a real car guy (gal) at all, in my opinion. yer just selfish.

30. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

Mike, thats exactly what I said! ;)