Register now to get rid of these ads!

1955 chevy truck fasteners question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jackal396, Feb 18, 2011.

1. jackal396

jackal396
    from oregon

I sold my 55 car and starting a new project, 1955 chevy truck project that was recently purchased, the head of some screws look like they take a bit that is oblong is shape.

Can anybody tell exactly what these are and are sockets still available for them?

They are in the bed, door striker latch and various areas.

Some pictures enclosed of the new project.

Thanks,

jp

Attached Files:

2. nico32

nico32
    from fdl, wi

Any pics of the screw heads you're mentioning?

3. Zombie Duck

Zombie Duck

Yeah they still sell them, I got my screwdrivers from napa. Can't remember what they are called though.

4. funk 49

funk 49

are you talking about the clutch head screws?

5. Zombie Duck

Zombie Duck

I was just about to say clutch head screws had to think what they were called, slipped my mind:p That sounds like what he was needing.

Hourglass shaped screw head right?

6. jackal396

jackal396
    from oregon

That is them.

jp

7. 55 gasser pickup

55 gasser pickup
    from utah

Nice truck jackal396 i noticed those on mine as well.But i haven't tried to remove any of them as of yet but im sure i will.

8. S.Sutherland

S.Sutherland
    from Fontana,CA

They're clutch head. Chevs of the 40's and other places that sell repop Chevy Truck parts usually have 'em. The ones from Napa are a little different but they work.

9. toolow4i75

toolow4i75

They are called "clutch head" fasteners. Drivers are around. I bought a set of insert bits that included them at a chain auto parts. You just have to seek them out.
    clutch head.jpg

10. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

I'm almost positive he's asking about clutch heads. If you can't find any at your local tool or hardware stores, the chevy truck catalog places like LMC sell a set for around $20.

11. jackal396

jackal396
    from oregon

That is them and thanks everyone for the help.

jp

12. Caddy-O

Caddy-O

I have taken my cut off with my thinnest blade and cut a diagonal across the head and use a flat head screw driver to get 'em out.

Would recommend getting the specialty tool if you can...my method works most of the time...but there are several places on the truck where space constraints make it tough to get the cut off blade in there.

13. Marcosmadness

Marcosmadness
    from California

The tools for clutch head screws are available at most of the Vintage Chevrolet specialty truck places but I bought off the local Snap-On truck last week. I bought the 1/4 inch drive insert but he also had them in screwdriver form. Not to divert this thread but I can't find a source for the clutch head sheet metal screws that are used everywhere on my 1959 Chevrolet step van. Anyone have a source for the sheet metal version of the clutch head screws?