Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anti-Lock Brake Retrofit: Complete BS?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Abomination, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Abomination

Abomination

[​IMG][​IMG]

Okay, so we've all seen these before in JC Whitney:
    http://seniordesign.engr.uidaho.edu/1998_1999/simustop/page2.html

I've always wondered if they worked, or were complete bullshit. Anybody ever use these? What were your results?

Here's a site selling them, with a much bigger picture, and some copy written to "sell" it to ya:
    http://www.southwestspeed.com/?sec=view_part&id=1202

They say:

PREVENTS THE WHEELS FROM LOCKING UP UNDER EXTREME BRAKING
    HELPS KEEP CONTROL OF THE CAR
    REDUCES PRESSURE FLUCTUATIONS IN THE BRAKE LINES DURING A HEAVY BRAKING EVENT; THIS EFFECTIVELY SMOOTHS OUT THE BRAKING OF A VEHICLE AND HAS BEEN SHOWN TO IMPROVE CONTROLLABILITY AND REDUCE BRAKING DISTANCE BY UP TO 8%
    THIS DEVICE CAN BE USED ON ANY TYPE OF AUTOMOBILE OR TRUCK
    KIT COMES COMPLETE WITH 2 ANTI-LOCK BRAKE CUSHION CYLINDERS; ONE FOR FRONT & ONE FOR REAR
    EXTRMELY COMPACT DESIGN; CYLINDERS MEASURE ONLY 3" LONG X 1.5" IN DIAMETER

Sounds almost too good to be true.

~Jason

2. Those were pretty popular in the late 80's. Never actually used them and never spoke to anyone who had.

Google turned up some stuff though: http://www.ftc.gov/os/2001/05/brakeguardcmp.pdf

3. Vicious_Cycle

Vicious_Cycle

Never seen them before, but they don't look like they'd be anything more than a foot vibrator.

4. I remember the sales pitch back when I worked for The Rod Factory. The rep was describing what they do and in a sense is just a big metering valve/accumulator.

I think TCI used them for a short while, maybe a few others also. Just reading the PDF from the lawsuit I quoted there. Looks like it didn't really work.

5. Ah ha!

6. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Pure snale oil...
    Just an accumulator with a pressure relief chamber.
    All it does is give the brake fluid a place to go [instead of the calipers/pistons] so less fluid pressure is applied in the system, resulting in less likelyhood you will lock your tires under heavy braking.

Actually kinda scary IMHO, as it's a universal kit. A Honda Civicc and a 1 ton chevy dually have VERY different dynamics within the braking system, but this "kit" works for both of them :confused:

In the end, all it will do for you is increase pedal travel and lower line pressure under hard braking. This kit has no way of detecting, controling, or modulating wheel lockup.

If you want ABS, retro-fit it out of junk yard pieces, but dont spend a dime on this POS.

7. garyf

garyf

Cant see how this works,most systems I have seen have some sort of sensor to detect lock up of wheels,on a panic stop.And then anti lok system takes over

8. Wow, put an accumulator in the brake line and call it ABS.... Why didn't I think of that!

9. badshifter

badshifter

Awesome, I have a 55 chevy in the shop right now that has those on it. We all wondered what they were. ABS, who knew?

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Whee! Another potential failure point on the brake system!

11. 61bone

61bone

Kinda appears to be an antibraking system to me.

12. badshifter

badshifter

Here you go, this guy bought into it. He also bought into Heartbeat valve covers....

Attached Files:

• abs.jpg
      abs.jpg
      File size:
      347.3 KB
      Views:
  13. Abomination

Abomination

How long has he had 'em on there?

What does HE say about 'em working or not? I probably shouldn't ask - the heartbeat valve covers probably hint at the answer...

~Jason

14. badshifter

badshifter

Lets just say, weld wheels, pro street rears, head rest seats, trunk mounted cd player, fenderwell headers on a blown 540 big block with intercooler (non-functioning) as a spacer, um, huge center console, everything painted flat black, yeah, everything, on a 55 chevy post car. In his defense, the car has been together since the late 80's, and he has not rear-ended anyone yet! I'm not about to ask him how the brake thingies work.

15. Weasel

Weasel

^^^^^ sounds dreamy:rolleyes:. No wheel sensors, no ABS - it's that simple....

16. Abomination

Abomination

Oh my God...

I won't even ask. That DOES explain it all. :eek:

~Jason

17. bigdog

bigdog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Kinda hard to have ABS without something to tell the system when the wheels are locking up. No speed sensors=no ABS. Works as well as cow magnets on your fuel lines work to improve mileage.

18. Not only does it need sensors, but it needs something to release and re-apply brake pressure to the locked wheels. My late model van beater has one under it - how good is it? When I got it, the lines to the rear were already plumbed out, and when I get on the brakes hard on snow/ice, I know the right front locks up because it pulls that way every time. Close as I can tell the unit does nothing at this point.

ABS works, but if you're not one to panic in a sliding situation and can pump the brakes, you don't really need it. It will do the job faster than you can, for sure, but using some common sense keeps you out of most of the situations where you need it in the first place.

19. badshifter

badshifter

What! Magnets on the fuel line don't work? Next you're gonna tell me that spiral thingie I put in my aircleaner does not make more power.......

20. CobraBall

CobraBall
    from N. Texas

The BRAKE GUARD is nothing more than an hydraulic ACCUMULATOR that MAY absorb/reduce an initial pressure spike during hard braking.

A search of GOOGLE PATENTS shows the first patent to be,

4571009, Pre-pressurized accumulator for hydraulic brake system.
    "Disclosed is an accumulator for use on hydraulic brake systems. The accumulator includes a housing, a pressurization cap which is threadably connected into the housing and a resilient bulb contained within a volume between the housing and pressurization cap. The resilient bulb provides a flexible..."

Follow-on Patents by the same inventor are 5074625, 5265942, 5380074.

Aircraft Hydraulic Accumulators are used to provide Emergency (when every thing else fails) Braking and maintain near constant line pressure during major hydraulic events like Landing Gear retraction.

If anyone would like to purchase a unused set of Brakes Guards still in the original box, send a PM. They LOOK real purddy!:D

The only skid BRAKE GUARD has ever experienced was when the Federal Judge put a skidding stop to their Anti-Skid claims/advertising.

21. kumaari

kumaari
    from chennai

Thanks for your nice information.