Register now to get rid of these ads!

'56 big window build second time around

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bill Van Dyke, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

Thought I would post a few pics of my current project, my second owner '56 F100. I drove the truck during my high school days when it was new. The original owner had a garage I worked at. I remember the day he brought it to work brand new from Monte Mansfield Ford here in Tucson. As the years went by I kept pestering Howard to sell me the truck. Finally in '85 he called and said it was time to put the truck in my care. He had developed leukemia. I was able to give Howard a ride in the truck after the first rebuild. He passed away shortly afterward. The old truck even got a feature in Classic Trucks, spring 92. The second rebuild mates the original frame and body back together after 25 years. Heidt front end, 383 SBC,Turbo 350, 9" rear, power brakes and steering, walnut bed wood, Meadow Green BC/CC. Thanks to all the guys who took the time to answer my stupid paint questions by the way. Tucson is a weird place to paint in the summer, too hot or too wet. Should get it shot next month. Updates to follow.

Attached Files:

2. thayer

thayer
    from P-Hoe_Nix

looks awesome. I'll be checking back in to see it all come together

3. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

What is a story. It's been my dream if I'm able when I get these 4 deuce projects done to build a big window 56. I've had several 55/57 big window Chevys, but it just isn't the same.

4. Great story and project , Look forward to additional posts , as it progresses,, thanks ,,,,

5. brady1929

brady1929

6. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

A few updates. I'll load more later. Waiting to install the body clad in it's new "Meadow Green" paint next week. Note the neat Hamber Crafty B's plate frame. I'm going for an OEM low key theme.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
  7. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

A Few More. The Heidt Super Ride sway bar to pan clearance is real tight. Don't know how front sump guys do it! Glad I moved the front wheel center line ahead 1".

Attached Files:

8. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

One more

Attached Files:

9. dooling

dooling

Are you doing the paint yourself?

10. Looks nice Bill. I still want to meet you someday soon. Dale

11. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

Well that was the plan but a detached retina reared up so the guys at HI-SPEED here in Tucson are doing it for me. Man are they good!

12. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

Thanks Dale PM me for a ph.# if you want. Regards Bill

13. havi

havi

Nice work! (subscribing)

14. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

Sheet metal is going back together with it's new "meadow green" paint applied by HI-SPEED here in Tucson. After 5 years apart I hope I can remember where everything goes! Sorry the attachment is so small but I tried resizing for upload and this is what I got. This upload crap is too hard to do so this is the last pic I'll try.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
  15. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Looks good. Don't let the picture thing get you down. You'll get it if you don't give up. We're counting on you.:D It sure looks good so far. We want to see more.

16. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

17. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

I love the color !

18. blue57ford

blue57ford

Nice truck. I love the color. I've got a 57 and 62 big window but the 56 is the one I've always wanted.

19. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

another try at a better size

Attached Files:

20. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

one more Yep that's better

Attached Files:

21. Gear Up

Gear Up
    from Minnesota

Noticed the fuel cell and wondered what the source is? I am in the process of restoring my son's 68 F-250 and want to put a tank outside the cab; also will be going fuel injection when the time comes.

Gear Up

22. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

Try CPP..Classic Performance Products. This tank is designed specifically for Ford F-100's. Not cheap but a very nice unit.

23. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Great truck and great story!

24. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

Making slow process putting things back together. Flaming River steering is in. The column drop is my design machined by Joe Harris. I think the vintage curved glass Moto-Meter is a fun touch. The bulkhead fittings for the heater hoses seemed to add a finished touch. The meadow green paint color seems to defy an accurate color tone in the pics. Basically a "gray/green". Next is cab insulation and Rebel Wire Kit install with fuse bock on the floor behind the seat. Thanks guys for all the good comments. At 71 I find that the work is a lot more slow and deliberate with lots of coffee breaks! Probably good as I don't redo stuff like I did when I was a young pup.

Attached Files:

25. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

Making progress slowly. Installed new Posies rear springs that brought the rear down some. Should be even better with 100 lbs of fuel in the tank. I turn 72 tomorrow so guess I should speed up a bit! Started doing this stuff about 55 years ago and one thing I learned is that the longer you think it through, the better it'll work out. ;)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  26. Willys 77

Willys 77
    from up north

Nice truck, Bill! Had a '56 three quarter ton years back and sold it. Looked at a "green" Forestry Department '56 MERCURY BIG WINDOW 4 x 4 with an eight foot box ~ "FACTORY" and as it had a Ford small block in it and a high ? asking price; I never bought it! Oh to only turn back the clock! Thanks for the memorys! :)

27. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

Thanks Willys77. I passed on a few during the years. Wish I hadn't. Bill

28. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

Afew updates..Bell 17" steering wheel, Rebel wire kit behind the seat, Remote reservouirs with AN 7 plumbing.Stock throttle linkage works perectly. My oval track experience shows up in things like redundent return springs.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  29. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

That's a nice looking truck!

30. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

I sure wish mine was that far along. I like your truck! You do very clean work.