Register now to get rid of these ads!

My 34 PU Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Retribution, Jan 4, 2010.

1. X2.
    It is back too far in my opinion.

2. HotRod33

HotRod33

It needs to be flush mounted.... your work is great but the emblem set in like that doesn't look quite right.......

3. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

So far everything in the build has been great. I have to say however that I am not liking the fan shroud. I think a far nicer job could have been done on that part.

It looks like the bottom was whacked out of a handy barrel and welded in. :eek:

4. blitz

blitz

i think your on to something withe the emblem, you could make it work well withe the style, theme.... of the little truck. maybe not so deep and then build a ridge from the top of the shell to around the emblem and lead around it, if that makes sense. So like make a circle out of thin round stock weld it on then run a line to the top of the shell, slap so lead and be done. The truck look real good buddy.

5. The fan shroud does look like a planter that my neighbor uses for his tomatoes.

Have to agree on the emblem comments too...I think it would look better flush mounted.

How do you move the fan lower? I'm not familiar with flathead fords, but how can you move the whole assembly? Does the fan not mount on a water pump pulley?

6. wow... what an awesome build with quality craftsmanship! keep up the goodwork

7. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

recessed emblem doesnt work for me ,

8. Retribution

Retribution
    from Western PA

Good Morning fellow HAMB'ers.

Thank you on your feedback concerning the grille emblem, rev 2 on it's way!

If you would please offer another opinion, comment or feedback on the dash. Here is my dilemma, I'm not sure I want to reinsert the Impala column section (shown in post #207 last three photos) or go with what I got (shown in post #207 first three photos).

Thanks You!

9. 36tbird

36tbird

Have you put the seat in there and tried this all out? I don't know your girth or how tall you are, but space is really at a premium in these old trucks. I'm a heffer at 6' and I fill up my '36 cab. With a tilt column, my right hand hits the stock dash top if I have it full up. I have a flat track style steering wheel because if I didn't, a dish would really have the wheel in my chest. I love my '36 pickup, but it has a 2 hour butt limit due to the size of the cab.

10. Retribution

Retribution
    from Western PA

Good comments, still looking for more feedback on dash, Please!!!

11. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

The dash looks way out of place in your truck.

Automotive design evolved quite a bit from 34 to 58.

Trying to mix elements from the different eras of design doesn't work very well.

I think it confuses the theme of the truck.

12. Firefly

Firefly

It's your build. Decide what YOU like and go with it!!!

13. Retribution

Retribution
    from Western PA

I'm actually struggling with both the grille emblem and dash and hope someone helps me over the hump with an idea or two but, I know what you mean, thanks for the encouragement !

14. dvs

dvs

I like it like it is in the first 3 pics. Starts to look a little too "out of character' with the addition that's shown in the last 3. jmho

15. Retribution

Retribution
    from Western PA

Yes, I agree. This is what I was thinking too!

Does anyone else have any comments?

16. llonning

llonning

To me the first 3 look the best. If you move it out a little further than that I think it would be a winner.

17. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

I like it without the lower dash stuff. When you add that, it makes it too cluttered. If it were mine I'd flush the emblem also. just my 2 cents. Nice build, you should be proud.

18. dirtyhippy

dirtyhippy

man everything looking great. emblem, maybe instead of sinking it run a bead around it? dash looks good but think maybe recess it back a little more?? looking good either way

19. I also like the dash without the lower section added in. Starts to look too much like a later 50's car when you add in that piece.

I think once you have all the gauges in, the cluster may look cluttered. Have you considered using a set of combination gauges?

I decided to use a set from Classic Instruments. I used the 5" quad & speedtacular, but I think they make them in 3 3/8ths too.

[​IMG]

Not cheap...but I didn't want to have too many individual units in my dash. I went with their hotrod series because to me, they looked very clean & simple.

20. Retribution

Retribution
    from Western PA

Because the cab is stretched 10" (4" in the cab, 6" in the door) the entire door will be fabricated from scratch. Here you can see the door skin is being mocked up trying to get an idea of where the the bottom of the window will go.

Attached Files:

21. Retribution

Retribution
    from Western PA

Here is the inner door panel.

Attached Files:

22. Retribution

Retribution
    from Western PA

Thanks, I'm struggling with several issues right now and the dash is one of them. Glad to here Tony got the PU running. Does he have any paint on it yet?

23. Retribution

Retribution
    from Western PA

Here is a video of the door mock up.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  24. Retribution

Retribution
    from Western PA

In order to extract the actual door size, the cab need to be finished up first. New re-popped drip rails (R/L) were ordered. The originals will be removed and good sections cut out and welded on to extend the new ones to make up for the stretch. Also, the door frame above the door needs to be finished up as well.

Attached Files:

25. Retribution

Retribution
    from Western PA

One more video.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  26. Retribution

Retribution
    from Western PA

Sorry, it's been a while since my last post, I've got another project going on and the 34 sat a few months, check it out.

Attached Files:

27. Retribution

Retribution
    from Western PA

The 34 is moving again. As you can see the fan is finally figured out. To get it center in the fan shroud AND have it adjustable took some figuring out. Also, it's off the table and on the floor. Now I can really see how high it's going to be, I set the chair next to it for scale.

Attached Files:

28. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

Glad to see you back! Looking forward to seeing the door construction, I admire your work!

29. Retribution

Retribution
    from Western PA

Left front SoCal Speed Shop brake is installed, waiting on right, they shipped two left. Man they look really good, better than I imagined they would.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  30. Retribution

Retribution
    from Western PA

Both John's Industries rear brakes are installed too. The outer drums are polished just like the fronts. I got the last pair of polished rears before John's stopped selling them. Now you can buy cast only and you have to polish them yourself. I was really lucky.

Attached Files: