Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rod terms that are no longer in common usage

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by adjustablejohnsons, Feb 15, 2011.

1. BigJim394

BigJim394

Mexican Mags : In the 60s in the Northeast, if you had some no name brand, knock-off Radir style wheels, people used to call them "Mexican Mags".

2. 65choptop

65choptop

peeling out ,laying scratch

3. i use babbit pounder

4. Squirrels.. someone who shits where they eat, all rookie and don't even know it!

5. Mystery Stick - reground cam:D

6. It'll lay scratch in all 4 gears

7. Let me clarify a few things
    Dagoed refers to a car that is dumped in the front as if using a "Dago" Axel
    Nosed is when you take the Ornement and letters off the hood and fill them in
    Decked is when you do the same thing to the deck lid or trunk

8. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

A few semi-obsolete South Africanisms:

Tekkies = tyres (from the Afrikaans for sneakers. "Fat tekkies" go with the local traditional look, bigs and bigs with a slight reverse rake. The cliché is to say, "talk to me, tekkies" out the window when attempting a burnout.)
    Top = cylinder head
    Branch = tube header
    Kazaust = exhaust
    Pipe = motorbike

9. R Pope

R Pope

Re:"mexican Mags"...Up here in Sask. when the kiddies got the keys to the family grocery getter they went a block or so and popped off the hubcaps to give 'er that racin' look. We called 'em "Moose Jaw Mags".
    Plasticene driveshaft...Rubber band....Powerslide...automatics.
    Armstrong steering...non-power
    Cop magnet.. any car modified from stock, or just old and shaky

10. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

11. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Same here... except for years I thought they were calling it the "foot feet"!

12. TAYLOR

TAYLOR
    from DALLAS,GA.

Hittin a lick
    4 in the floor
    Scratch off
    Jacked up
    Souped up
    Rail
    What did it turn?
    Caps
    Uncork the headers
    Catch a second

13. My grandfather would refer to an engine block with a hole in the side of it as "windowed". Not sure if this is a common term nowadays, but anyone else I've talked to seems to spell it out ..."punched a hole in it" , "or threw a rod".

14. white64

white64
    from Maine

hot suppah = smoking the tires
    headed for the rhubarb = lost control
    all show no go = show car but slow car
    quarter mags = take off the hubcaps and mark the wheel into quarters and paint the quartered areas alternating white and black

15. mako4r

mako4r

When I was young my "granma Norma Jean" gave me hell for doing "squealies with the local lollita"

thanks for bringing back the memories

Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
  16. rsluggoboy

rsluggoboy
    from SALINAS CA

shag out,speed shift

17. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

bangin gears

slapper bars

duallys

crash box

18. porsche930dude

porsche930dude

So I was loadin up the turtle hull with push water and this cherry flip top A with flippers cacklers and kick stands rolls up and puts on the skids. This goopy cat's got a bent 8 with a huffer and a wiggly stick. The squirell has his bonnie grab a sixer. I cast an eyeball on that classy chassis that dame was stacked must have been a paper shaker. The big daddy didnt look like no hot shoe till he rolled out and dropped the sticker and tromped the loud pedal. He cut a broadie it was flat sticks boiling the hides it was cookin! All cranked up i blew that pop stand layin snakes and nearly put in in the rhubarb! what a spaz

19. Edelbroke

Edelbroke
    BANNED

If your car is "standing tall" it would have deep tread on the tires...

20. yblock292

yblock292

Boy, some body sure "Popeyed" them bolts............over torqued

21. why am i picturing a couple of jive talking dudes on an airplane? Where's the nun to translate when you need her?!

22. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

'box' for a transmission; from 'gearbox'

'locked' or 'locked-up' hydro for a modifed GM Hydromatic transmission, made famous by B&M

'bitchhin' was definately a West Coast thing, never heard it here in Penna.

23. We used this term when something was REALLY bored out, like what you do to a 283 to make it a 301.

You also mentioned "meats", in our area this usually meant some large driving tires;
    "Did you see the meats on the back of that load?"

24. Fiddytree

Fiddytree
    from Durango

The lady that baby-sat me in the early fifties called them "machines" . . .

My Grand-daddy would always tell me to "give it some more foot-feed" or "mash on it!"

From my high school days: mexican cheaters . . . . worn out snow tires.

and my recent favorite: too much nitro = that tune always was hard on oil pans.

25. Well that about sums it up...! :eek: Hahaha...!:D

:DWe can close the thread now...!!!!:D

26. Derwood

Derwood

Hot-shoe, to the wood, cruisin' (cruisin' because no one cruises in this town anymore like we used to). One I wish would go away, "boogity,boogity, boogity, let's go racin boys!

27. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

:DHavent heard that one in DECADES!

28. Many disputes over the origin - But the most likely explanation is this;
    In California in the '40s and early '50s hot Rodders despised the term "hot rod" and never used it. They considered it a black eye. To the general public a hot rod was beat-up jalopy with no muffler, careening through a school zone with a juvenile delinquent at the wheel. To the newspapers they were a menace on par with Communism and ought to be stamped out by the police. To the serious student of speed who had a lot of brains, sweat, and money tied up in a sophisticated performance car, this was nothing but an insult.
    They used the terms hop-up or gow job. So where did these come from? Well, "hop" and "gow" were names for opium which were in use as far back as the late 1800s and probably came from the Chinese. In the old days they improved the performance of race horses with drugs including opium and cocaine. This was not even illegal until the early '20s and continued surreptitiously after that.
    A horse that went faster than it had any right to, was said to be 'hopped-up" or "gowed-up". From there it was a short step to apply the same names to a souped-up car. By the way, human drug users got the same names. If you read a few hard-boiled detective stories from the '30s and '40s you will soon find reference to "hopped-up punks" and "gowed-up hoodlums." And people still say "Johnny is all hopped up on drugs"
    It was also used in the art community, particularly the Beat Generation as a term for a picture of nude or semi nude females, meaning "flashy Woman"

29. It wasn't the nun, it was Mrs. Cleaver (Barbara Billingsley) Chump don't want no help, chump don't get no help

How about a set of Maypop tires. We used to, also, call them Bullseyes because of the way the worn through bias plies looked like targets

30. hustlinhillbilly

hustlinhillbilly
    from ohio

Bend the throttle & boil the oil.
    Punch it & fry 'em.
    Got it floored so far, I'm trimmin' my toenails with the fanblade.
    Your engine wouldn't pull a sick hooker off a toilet