Register now to get rid of these ads!

bad bad misfire/cutting out/my motor is broken

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gsnickets, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Gsnickets

Gsnickets

'63 170 straight 6.... driving around yesterday and caught some pretty bad wheel hop while rolling through first(i swear on my life the damn thing didn't get above 3grand). shut her down real quick and coasted into second. this is where the trouble started. went to get back on the gas, pulled fine up till about mid range and then it started misfiring like a son of a bitch. plugs are fine, checked the wires they're all on tight. now i did fill up from E about 5 minutes before this. I thought it might be bad gas... but the gas station i got it from has never caused me a problem before. motor idles just fine, but it does cut out once you roll out of the low rpm in neutral. not really sure what could be going on at this point... asked a few people and they seemed to think it was 1: bad gas, and 2: broken valve spring. any ideas appreciated, thanks guys.

-jesse

2. Whens the last time you checked the points and condenser?,,check your fuel filter?,,check all the simple things first. HRP

3. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Might be junk in the Large Jet, or mid range jet if you have one. Causing it to go lean when your engine needs more fuel
    Im betting on junk in the carb..in a jet or ventui
    what carb?
    also check your accelerator pump, see if its juicing when the throttle is pushed

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  4. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No clicks, clacks or knocks, not broken. Sounds like ignition or fuel.

5. I just went thru this on the daily driver. new cap rotor and wires last fall. I used an induction timing light to find I had a cylinder not firing. poor man's scope..The wires were tight but bad. Replaced and cured that...

Tim

6. 61 chevy

61 chevy

bend push rod ????

7. garyf

garyf

See if your distributor shaft has wear, and changes your point gap under engine load.If a 170 is a chevy inline 6, ? this is a common problem.

8. jim powers

jim powers
    from new jersey

does car have any type of fuel filter?? if not i would think it is a dirt in carb type of issue

9. Zombie Duck

Zombie Duck

I had something similar happen to me back in high school, we went over just about everything, then we disconnected the fuel line and blew air through it. Out came this hairball looking thing, ran fine after that. Like the others said, check the small stuff first.

10. deja-vue.
    I had a 63 Comet with a 170 in college. Missed a shift and broke a valve spring and bent a pushrod......ran like crap with no power, idled with a slight miss......THEN it was time for the triple Holley glass bowls...welded the flanges on in auto class for extra credit.

11. Gsnickets

Gsnickets

fuel filter is older, but still pretty clean. haven't checked the points yet.... it would backfire real bad lastnight as it started to cut out. checking the carb tonight after work, might pull the valve cover to see if anything obvious is going on in there. i have a head off a 200 ready to go, might just try it.

12. Exactly.
    Go through everything you would do for a tuneup then start looking for mechanical problems.

If you can't see the oil in the crank case or it isn't clanking and banging it isn't broken.

13. J&JHotrods

J&JHotrods

FWIW, I've seen many instances of folks filling up at their preferred gas station, and if the tanker was just there recently, they slosh all of the condensation in the tanks when they refill the stations' tanks, and you end up with water in your fuel. It's real easy to rule out-take a sample of fuel from your tank, use a clear glass jar and let it settle for 10-15 minutes or so. The water will settle at the bottom of your jar. Usually looks like a cloudy, dirty water bubble. Only thing left to do is drain it or pour in a bottle of HEET.
    Just a thought.

14. Gsnickets

Gsnickets

got it all figured out, thanks guys. combination of some bad gas, and somehow the timing got a bit off at roughly the same time. once again the HAMB saves the day.