Register now to get rid of these ads!

flathead in a '65 truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ford5t1, Feb 15, 2011.

1. ford5t1

ford5t1
    from usa

i was wondering if it is ever done before but are there '60 s trucks (ford) that have a flathead for a engine?
    i have a '65 f100, 300 cui L6 and loving flatheads it's maybe an idea...

or are they underpowered?

see ya

2. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I've seen a Flathead installed in a 60's Ford Ranchero.

3. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

flatheads are cool but i wouldn't do it. if its your daily, i would keep the six or upgrade to a V8 that would suit your needs and pick up project to put the flathead in..

4. ford5t1

ford5t1
    from usa

thanks yeah when thinking off it i just wondered why there are none trucks this way so maybe this was like a brainfart off me.... keeping the six and get me a f1 or a early f100 too put the flat in.....thanks for keeping me on the straight line guys...

see ya

5. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Im not a ford guy, but if i were i would not go that route. If you are looking for a small V8 I would recommend a 289 or 302

6. Gator

Gator

My research shows a '65 Ford 300 six made 170 HP. Flathead V8's were rated from 60-125 HP, and a Windsor family small block should be worth about 200 HP minimum, and be the cheaper route all the way around.

Just depends on what you're really looking for.

7. Just do it on both accounts. :rolleyes:

Seems to me we cussed and discussed thsi a week or so back. I'll look for the thread.

but a quck answer if you are building a land speed truck and need to do it to break into a class then it is a fair idea, or if you need to screw with someones head than do it, or if your six is wore slap out and you need to get to work tomorrow. These are the best reasons I can come up with to do something like that.

Maybe you could pull the 300" Ford 6 and put in a built Stovebolt in it. :rolleyes: