Register now to get rid of these ads!

Headliner Woes....fills with air?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FIFTY2, Feb 14, 2011.

1. FIFTY2

FIFTY2

Hey guys, has anyone else had this problem?

Just put a new headlier in my 52 chevy and if I roll down the windows/ open the wing windows, the headliner bows starting from the front get sucked down, dont know if its just the pressure differential, or its acually getting filled with air somehow?

Its gotten alot worse since I got my doors to seal properly. Tonight it acutally bent the first healiner bow bat enough to force it out of the hole the bow fits into.

Anyone ever experience this?

2. HILLBILLY'ED

HILLBILLY'ED

Was it installed correctly, it needs to be stretched tite front to back and side to side.

3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

post some pics, more details as to how installed-used a kit and read directions? used correct bows in proper location?

4. moffetkustoms

moffetkustoms
    from granby, mo

Do you have the correct bows for the car? If the bows are too short they won't have enough bend in them to keep the headliner up tight to the top of the shell. I've had to make bows before and they have to be long enough that they won't flex down when the headliner is correctly stretched. Good luck.

5. FIFTY2

FIFTY2

It was a kit, used the original bows in the proper locations, but its my first one.

If Im correct the bows are what holds it up, Its was streched tight, and secured as best I could do it, is it possible to strech to much?

It almost seems like the bows are too weak, could it be because I went with a vinyl headlier instead of the stock cloth?

Im thinking about making external heavy duty bows (like a '57 chevy) and using them to hold it up, but I still wonder why there would be air getting up there...

6. FIFTY2

FIFTY2

Ill try to take some tomorrow, its kinda hard to see the white in a pic...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. RDR

RDR

I've had mine do that on a very hot day with windows down and pushing 75+...the headliner is naugahyde and heavier than the cloth and the front bow will pull down...goes back up when window is rolled up tho'...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  8. dadseh

dadseh

nice ... er... headliner.

9. Headliner... Not seat cover...

10. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I take it this happens at speed?

It sounds like you need to introduce some sort of vent to allow the air pressure above and below the headliner to equalize.

11. FIFTY2

FIFTY2

That makes sense, its just that theres no where to put one, Im gonna pull it apart tonight, but Im sure that Ill never get it looking like it should once I pull everything apart...

12. RDR

RDR

P.S.....I cured the problem by installing A/C....don't have to have the windows down on a hot day now....(by the way...glad you liked the seat cover):):cool:

13. Merge

Merge

I'm bringing up an old thread here because I am having the exact same problem on a 51' Ford I installed the headliner in. The material is stretched very tight and when sitting, the headliner looks as it should. As soon as you start driving though, you can feel and see it filling with air. The worst is when you bring the car up to speed on the interstate and the entire headliner fills with air like a balloon and then the bows collapse (reverse arch), causing the headliner to almost touch the driver's head. I will get some pictures up ASAP. I can only narrow this down to the trunk making a vacuum (because it isnt sealing right) and pulling air thru the package tray and sail panels. It is the strangest thing, but I witnessed it with my own eyes.

14. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Never heard of this before but.... what is the headliner made out of? Every stock one I have worked on was thin flimsy fuzzy stuff or perforated vinyl or a hard shell. In other words either the wind could blow right through it or it was too stiff to move. Maybe the problem is the result of trapped air.

Some kind of vents might help. The only thing that comes to mind off hand is round brass grommets. You can get the grommets and installation tool at hardware stores and auto flea markets.

15. magoo

magoo

we used to get this problem with english fords in the 70s.air pressure would build up in the car then the trunk and force up the inside of the rear pillars above the headlining causing it to drop.we used to jamb pieces or 2 inch foam up the inside of the rear pillars from inside the trunk and that seemed to cure it.I cant guarantee that it will fix your problem but it will cost nothing to try.Your local upholsterer will probably give you some scraps of foam.Let us know how you get on

16. snaptwo

snaptwo

I had a '63 409 SS that would do that exact same thing only at top end, we got in a top end speed contest with a guy in a Mustang one night after the slightly illegal drags on the old apex road north of Vegas. At the time I had a 3:08 gear and an aluminum glide installed so my wife had an easier time driving it than with the muncie. Cut to the chase , the mustang went by me at about 100 + as I was doing about 85 down I-15. So with a bit of urging from a couple of my drunken buddies , I let the '09 do it's thing and let her rip ! Just about the time I caught that mustang, the windshield wiper blades started to do a dance off the windshield and then the headliner bows just caved in !! I figure the build up of air on the cowl was enough to levitate the wiper blades and somehow air was coming in up the posts enough to fill the liner full. Whipped the Mustang though, but I never drove that car that fast again.

17. I have the same thing going on in my '50 Buick. It saves me from having to repair the speedo, though: at 100mph, the headliner touches the top of my head!

18. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I have seen this happen when the headliners are made of seat vinyl instead of the correct material,what I think is happening is the seat vinyl stretches too much due to the air pressure and allows the bows to move and then fall down. I made a headliner out of seat vinyl and that happened to it,I had to pull it very tight and it never came back. If you want a vinyl headliner have it made out of vinyl headliner material instead of seat vinyl.