Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Custom Car builder Spotlight: AYALA BROTHERS

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Rikster, Mar 24, 2005.

1. [​IMG]
    WOW !!!!! RIk this picture of Gils 40 is incredible !!!!! I have never seen this picture ever !!! Wow it nice to see that beauty from a little bit of a different angle. Rik your business card you did is spot on ,it looks REAL good.

2. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Just curious.What time frame was the Ayalas shop operating?Thanks.

3. Rikster

Rikster

Gil started Gil's Auto Body Works in 1945, just after the WWII. I think he was still doing work up into the 1970's... perhaps even after that.

4. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Thank you.I was just wondering.Because most of the pictures I've seen of their work is late 40's early 50's.Nothing later.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  5. Rikster

Rikster

'57
    [​IMG]

'67
    [​IMG]

6. I've seen info on Rik's forum where Ayala-started projects were finished at Barris. Am I over thinking something here, was it just a few cars that moved to a different shop, or was Ayala's having problems staying on top the work?

7. Rikster

Rikster

The Ayala brothers did finish a lot of cars... I don't think there was a problem there to stay on top of the projects Fact was that The capacity of the Ayala's was not as big as other shops as Barris, who had a bigger shop, and more people being able to work on multiple cars at the same time.

There are other samples where Custom cars switched shops. Buster Litton's Panoramic Ford was started (chopped) by Barris but finished at George Cerny's shop.

8. banditomerc

banditomerc

tHESE ARE SOME GREAT PICTURES RIK.It's great that you where able to get the access to the Welch album.Alot of answered questions in that,huh.Jeffsled said it all,now we know the rest of the story.Keep on posting more pics,and any other tidbits of info you may have heard.

9. banditomerc

banditomerc

Hey Jeffsled,i have had that same experience.Alot of energy at that spot.I guess you have to be there.

10. bob-o

bob-o

Rik, I noticed that you don't have any pics of Gil's coupe from the rear!

[​IMG]

Does anyone have pics of this car from the rear? I've always wanted to see the chop from that angle!

11. Smokey2

Smokey2

!!! Excellent Post Mr. rikster.....

I failed English THREE YEARS RUNNIN', Hide Rod & Custom, Car Craft, Roddin' and Restyling, and whatta EVER I could sneek into that Class!!! Inside English Text Book!
    Grew-up, If I ever did??, on these cars you are Posting. THANKS!
    Keep On Keepin' On..............:cool::cool:

First Car: 1940 Ford Std. 2-dr
    Longest Trip: 125 miles
    Oil Consumpion: 5 qts
    Price paid: $80.00
    Keepin' IT Going: Priceless! Drove it 2yrs, with NO 1st, OR Reverse!
    Hot Damn!
    John

Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  12. banditomerc

banditomerc

In the Rodders Journal#49,there is a story about a show at the Montebello armory in the early '50's with a couple of shots of the Ayala '42's rear end:eek:

13. customcory

customcory

I thought about why Barris would maybe paint a car the Ayala's did ,was that maybe the Ayala's charged more than Barris. I wonder back then, if it was better bragging rights to have the Ayala's do your car, or Barris? There might have been a waiting list at Ayalas. Then again it might be time schedules , and they scratched each other back, so to speak, to keep everybody happy and shared jobs. I like everything the Ayala's did. I don't see how they did it.:D

14. Rikster

Rikster

Here is s snapshot from the David E. Zivot Collection that shows the chop from the back.

[​IMG]

15. Yes,there is alot of energy or something but it keeps bringing me back to that spot.

16. [​IMG]
    Well like I said earlier,this photo is great.Rik I wish I could of known these were coming,I would of actually loved to hold this history changing plaque right here.
    Well we now know who had the first 49-51 mercury in a major car show as a finished car......Yes, Wally Welch's 50 mercury built by the Ayala Brothers.Jerry Q,Jack Stewart and Jim Mcneil have told me this but now their is proof. Gee,it sure is nice when some personal photos or artifacts pop up at these car shows like this plaque and Marcia Campbells photo album 2 years ago.Looks like some our custom books are going to need to be rewritten. :)

17. Rikster

Rikster

Barris charged more for the same work than Gil Ayala did. But as mentioned before the Barris shop was a bit more professional and they had more people working. So if you wanted your car done good and "fast", you went to Barris. Gil Ayala was known for his perfect paint jobs as well. So I think that a lot of unfinished customs ended up in his shop just to receive one of his excellent paint jobs only.

18. bob-o

bob-o

Thanks Rik. The loft on that top is PERFECT :eek:

19. ....

20. bob-o

bob-o

BUMP for the Badassery of the Ayala's!

21. Rikster

Rikster

Here is another snapshot of Gil's 1942-46 Ford Coupe... at the dry-lakes.
    This is the early version with the Ford bumpers.

From the David E. Zivot Collection
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  22. WOW ! Rik ,what a great picture of Gil's ford.

23. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Thanks Rik.I guess I need to expand my little books collection.

24. Rikster

Rikster

Actually both are full size magazines :)

25. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Ok then.I guess I need to get some full size magazines :)

26. Rikster

Rikster

Here are some more photos of the Mazmanian A/GS Austin

Gil chopped the top, and radiused the rear wheel openings. Then he painted the body candy red.

From the internet...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The car is still around and the all steel body was sold not to long ago. The body work looks a bit rough... but its a Race Car... not a Custom Car.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. ricardo_rocha

ricardo_rocha
    from Brazil

Unbelievable Great Thread!!!

28. Amen............ bump for Gil.

29. [​IMG]
    Wally Welch was HEAVY HITTER and lets not forget it.

30. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

This photo of Wally's girl is incredible. She is by far in my opinion one of the hottest chicks from that era that I've ever seen a picture of. Period.
    Wally was the man !