Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wrecked my 55 last night

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 42hotrod, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Sorry to hear about your "misfortune".....Let this be a lesson to you and others...get your stuff drivable (stop,go, steer and what not) before moving a vehicle by yourself. You could have gotten seriously hurt. Count your blessings that the damage was minimal. Someone could have been guiding you into the garage and you would be visiting them in the hospital!

I had a buddy that drove his '70 Chevelle through the back of his garage into the kitchen because of a faulty neutral safety switch. He asked me to come over and help him and I saw his car and it pushed the kitchen table into the sink. His mom was in the kitchen and did not get hurt. His house and car and pride were hurt for sure!

2. Guess you will put completing the brakes a little higher on the priority list than sheetmetal repair now, huh??:( Sux anyway...

3. TMoney

TMoney

Can't say I've never moved a car without fully functional brakes, but I at least had the E-brake working so I could stop it.

4. jrose7004

jrose7004

I always hate a setback on a project especially when it's my own fault!

5. ol'skool29

ol'skool29

damn i know you already got enough shit for this but i always make sure to finish the brakes before driving a project car

6. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Hope you learned a lesson, a car with no brakes is not driven even 20 feet.

Starting it up in neutral is one thing, driving, no way.

Bad things can happen as you now know. Someone could have been killed easily.

7. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Back in my musclecar days, had to swap out the M/C one day. Got up early and pulled it off, used the wifey's car to run up to the parts store.

I get back home and the car is gone!!! I'm kinda freakin' out. Go inside, and the wife is gone too!

Go back outside, and the car comes rolling up to the front of the house at about 5 mph... Wife gets out and says "There's something wrong with the brakes" :D

She didn't know I was working on it, and went to run an errand. Discovered it had no brakes, so she coasted it around the block and back to the house.

Dodged a bullit that day :eek:

8. You sure did buddy killing yourself is a bad thing but you have to live with it if you kill the wife.

Stuff happens its alway better if everything turns out all right.

9. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

I think there is a "stupid things I've done" thread around here somewhere...

10. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I always make sure the car has it's wheels off the ground, keys gone, etc. if I don't want someone jumping in the car and taking off in it before I'm sure everything is finished (including myself especially).

11. stevechaos13

stevechaos13

I've been there, but it wasn't because I knew the brakes were bad.
    My f100 blew a pressure line the day I bought it as I drove into my driveway. I had driven the truck 65 miles with not a single problem, and even inspected the damn hoses before I decided to drive it home. I didn't have a garage, but ran it through the damn privacy fence before I could pop it into neutral. Scary shit.
    Now I replace those hoses, first thing whenever I buy a new project.
    Worth it for sure.

12. davidh73750

davidh73750

show some pics. That bites 55 fenders in good shape are not cheap. Glad you and no one is hurt but still sux.

13. The school of hard knocks........Lesson learned!

14. Now you know why my dad always said
    " make it stop, make it go, make it pretty and ALWAY IN THAT ORDER"
    He spoke from experience, I listened so far for 40 years but,,,
    Maybe you will say that now

Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  15. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

You are not alone, I too have wrecked more than one in the garage.

16. jim powers

jim powers
    from new jersey

shit happens, reminds me of one of my more brilliant moves; had just finished restoring 69 corvette,350/350 side exhaust car,beautiful lemans blue paint.the garage i had at the time was at the top of a slightly inclined driveway, you guessed it, car rolled off the garage floor lip and took off down driveway but not before ripping up the drivers side door i had left open as i went up to workbench to get a screwdriver,it sucks , it happens

17. Kevinb71

Kevinb71

Just remember that all those with smart ass replies are the ones to chickenshit to post their mistakes. You will remember this.

18. Huge difference between making a silly mistake, like the time I was trying to push start a car and tweaked a door on a telephone pole, and intentionally driving a car with no brakes.

19. 42 chevy

42 chevy

Sorry about your luck. We all have those moments we wish we wouldn't have done something. I am glad nobody was hurt, cars can be fixed. Good luck on getting parts and you have my sympathy.

20. hammer bowling

hammer bowling

I don't make mistakes, Bahahahahahaaaaa

21. slobroy

slobroy

I had a duster in the 70's that I fixed up in high school. Every time I got it ready to paint I would wreck it. After a while I came to the conclusion that It didn't want to be painted. So It stayed in grey primer till the day it was sold.

22. Ice man

Ice man

I was tought to ALWAYS do the brakes first. Make it stop, then make it go. You learnin yet. Iceman

23. ZRX61

ZRX61
    from The AV

I watched a friend unload two landrovers fresh back from the paint shop. He rolled one off ok & then rolled the second one off.. planning to use the parking brake to slow it down etc... Parking brakes on LR's are on the back of the transmission.. & they only work if the vehicle has driveshafts attached..... which it didn't, so he crashed the 2nd one into the 1st one...

24. Butch M

Butch M

sorry about your luck ......

25. The Shocker

The Shocker

That sucks and reminds me of the time my old 56 Pontiac got away from me .I was driving it daily and went out early one morning to crank it up to go to work.I got it started and realised i forgot my lunch box.I pulled the parking brake (it was a 3 on the tree) and went back inside to get it .When i came back outside it was gone.I thought someone had stole it at first ,but i could hear it idling in the dark ,and then noticed it was sitting in my neighbors driveway across the street .Damn thing rolled backwards down my drive ,across the street ,and to the other end of their driveway about 75 feet and only a few inches from their car when it came to a stop.I adjusted the parking brake when i got home that night ...

26. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

no photos????

27. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

I thought that #$*@ only happened to me..... Friend had a mid year BB. conv. vette on ramps in his garage doing final asy. after he had it painted, some how the car rolled back w/dr. door open and hit the garage opening on the way down, You can imagine what that looked like!!! I live by, A wiseman, Is only a fool with a good memory... Like it's been said, could have got a lot more Ugly real quik...

28. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

lame. i also want to see pics though...