Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 61-64 Pontiac

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pitts642, Jul 9, 2009.

1. monsterflake

monsterflake

a well placed soldering iron can help with those voices....

2. Hexadox

Hexadox

3. Hexadox

Hexadox

Heheh, yeah my brother feels the same way.

4. koolkemp

koolkemp

5. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

I just found this picture on a photography website. The picture is from a car show around 1970.
    [​IMG]

6. Greezeball

Greezeball

Holy crap! What! Who! Jeez I considder my self to be pretty knowledgeable when it comes to engines espescially early 60s muscle and have seen some fairly odd prototype stuff but holy cow this blows me away! Is it a factory prototype or was it custom built from OHC 6 parts?

7. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

If you're into Pontiacs at all two must have books are; Pontiac Musclecar Performance 1955-1979 and Pontiac Racer's & High Performance Handbook by Pete McCarthy and John Angeles.

The books talk about the DOCH 421 and Malcolm McKeller as well as all the other cool high performance things Pontiac came up. These books are a serious wealth of information!

8. 46poncho

46poncho
    from Indiana

here is a pic of my 62 tempest. Has 195 cu 4 cylinder 10:1 compression, 4 barrel carb, 2 speed trans axle, all trim shaved, 1 coil cut off all 4 corners, 64 covette stretched bumperettes on the rear and custom bumperettes on the front, comet tailights frenched into the rear valence

Attached Files:

9. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Here is my '57... TriPower/ 3speed stick.
    I've had it for 27 years, hope to put the 4 speed in this spring![​IMG]

10. That Bad Boy '57 is Beautiful! How about a few larger photos of it? Centurion9

11. Jeff Walker

Jeff Walker

As long as your engine is at least that size or bigger. I mean you don't want to be a poser now.:D

But if I recall correctly you have a 455 in there, don't you?

Those are pretty neat looking emblems!:cool:

12. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Pontiac built several overhead cam V8s in the early 1960s as prototypes. There were both SOHC and DOHC engines, they appeared on the cover of an issue of Hot Rod around 1968 or so. McKellar was the chief engineer, and when he retired they gave him one of the engines as a retirement present.

13. Anyone know if 64 Bonneville door panels (front and rear) are interchangeable with gran prix? Don't want to buy them until i know they'll fit.

14. [​IMG]

I've been working away on my white '61 Safari. Now been sandblasting most of the body to prep for paint. Most of the mechanical stuff is done.
    Both fenders are almost ready for paint.
    Tons and tons of upgrades- front frame clip off of '78 Grand Safari, 1 ton truck 4 row radiator, 455 with forged pistons, 6x heads, 068 cam, tri y H-O headers, custom 2 1/2" dual exhaust, 700r4, posi, 4 wheel disc brakes, hd hitch, twin fuel tanks, rear suspension now has watts linkage added, slighly narrowed frame and rear end, opened rear wheel openings ( all to accomodate larger truck type tires ).
    I'll be using it for medium towing.
    Can't wait to have her back on the road after 5 years.

15. ImForwardlook

ImForwardlook

I am really a MoPar guy but I do like all the full size offerings by the big three in this somewhat forgotten 60-64 period. And since my recently passed mother loved the looks of Pontiacs I had a good reason to buy one :) I was really looking for a 63 Catalina Ventura 2dHT but it seemed impossible to find one in my price range and after a couple of years I stumbled on this very original 64 and decided to buy it. It is a pretty bare bones 389 2bbl at car but has the Ventura interior I love. It was sold new by Meadows Pontiac in Portland, Oregon. Just scored a MP license plate frame on eBay for it. Been slowly gathering parts, planning on adding some period go fast goodies and dog dish hubcaps. Otherwise it will stay original, I'm actually having a hard time deciding weather to paint it or not, it is very straight and gotta love that patina...sorry about the dark pics.

Attached Files:

16. ImForwardlook

ImForwardlook

Can't argue with that...if the 389 stays that is....

17. thundershorts

thundershorts

Hi all,

I'm posting for a friend (80 years of age) who has stored away his 1960 Pontiac Catalina race car from the sixties, all lettered up, an AHRA record holder from I believe 1969, not running but most everything there, and he was wondering if this car is worth anything, as he is not too healthy and needs some income. He has photos and certificates, but is not digital friendly. If it warrants, I can get out to Long Island and get some jpegs and try and post them or email them. What say you, gents?

18. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Sure, it's worth something. :) Post some photos and whatever information you have on the car. Besides this forum, it would be worth posting the information over on the Performance Years Pontiac board in the 1961 and earlier section; there are some guys there who raced those cars back in the day (and a few still racing them.)

19. The doors will fit (although the pattern is a different style than the Gran Prix). Assuming you are talking about a 2dr Bonneville, the rear panels are a bit longer than the GP, but you might be able to cut them down to fit. The Bonneville is a longer wheelbase than the Gran Prix, and the difference is in a longer section between the back of the door and the front of the rear wheel well. If I remember correctly, the rear 1/4 also has a bit longer overhang past the rear wheel also.

20. marks73turbota

marks73turbota

Just an update on my '63 gasser. Got the rear frame rails in and the old cut out. I got the rear wheelwel tubs all done and the biggy, I finally got the front end tilted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt97/marks73turbota/morewheelwells003.jpg[/img

[img]http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt97/marks73turbota/newavatar001.jpg

Mark L

21. Mutt

Mutt

I had a Ventura 4 speed. Raced it at Hawaii Raceway Park in the 60s while stationed at Pearl Harbor. Had Atlas Bucrons on the rear.

Attached Files:

22. Mutt

Mutt

Some pictures of a Catalina at Bradenton nostalgia drags. Not all factory motor, but nicely done SD clone. Sounded great.

Attached Files:

23. jim_ss409

jim_ss409

This is going to be cool!
    I noticed the turbo, can you tell us a little more about the engine.

24. punisher7

punisher7

Lots of cool cars! Hope to get pics of mine up here soon!

25. marks73turbota

marks73turbota

Hey Jim. OK, long post. 1960 389 block, bored .090 to 406. Ross forged dished turbo light pistons. Forged Ohio Crankshaft 3.75 crank. GRP 6.625 aluminum rods. Block is now 4 bolt splayed center caps. Special steel rods pushed down into the water jacket against the floor of the jackets to help support the decks against flex under boost. Partially filled jackets, zero decked, KRE D-Port aluminum heads ported to 325 CFM. Edelbrock Victor intake/ 750 CSU blow thru carb, turbo headers (in pic), 75MM turbo for now. Cam is a special turbo grind from Harold, the original cam designer for UltraDyn cams. 251 int/241 exh @ .050 in 116 lobe center, .600 net solid roller. The cam is also a 4-7 swap grind. My last engine, a 455 .030 over was built for nitrous and it went 10.2 @ 134 in a 3700 Trans Am on a 200 shot. I changed the cam, built the single turbo system, chassis dyno'd it at 1065 HP (886.8 at the wheels). I expect this 406 to walk right over that number, possibly with this turbo but definitely with the next bigger turbo. We'll see if I'm right. Mark L

26. jim_ss409

jim_ss409

Sounds like a great engine Mark! You can't beat those turbo's for making serious horsepower.

We've made some progress on the 61 Pontiac drag car We're working on. We painted it last weekend and now we're starting to put it back together. We're hoping to have the car ready to go for the first weekend in June.

[​IMG]

27. I'm looking for a 62-64 Catalina 2 door.. I'd prefer a 63 since I can get fiberglass body panels for it.. Any leads appreciated.. Thanks

28. My 64 Bonneville, dechromed...

29. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

damn..how did i miss this thread????i owned 2-55pontiac wagons, 1-55 4dr,a 59 a 62 Catalina,& a 64 4dr hard top,67 Bonneville,,my grandpa got me into pontiacs!maybe someday i'll have another one?
    man those are great looking rides that you guys have posted!!!!!!!!

30. 55yak

55yak

Hello there, I'm glad to see a Pontiac site. Does anyone have any suggestions on building side mounts to replace the big cross member that used to be on my 55 Chieftain? I'm using a 57 enigine (identical to 55 except for displacement), a Bendtsens adapter for a Chevy 700 R-4 and I can use my front engine mount, build a rear trans mount, but I'm lost on what to support the middle of this engine/trans combination. I was thinking of some kind of side plates bolted to the bellhousing and going to the frame. I have to support the back of this heavy motor and limit the twisting. Any and all ideas or photos would be extremely appreciated. Thanks in advance to anybody who answers.