Register now to get rid of these ads!

HEMI Tech- Ignition

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, Jul 5, 2006.

1. George

George

'54 shop manual says every 10K.

2. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks George!

Do the later LA type distributors need this fitting or do they have oil impregnated bearings? Also, what type of oil/grease?

3. George

George

light engine oil. I think the LAs don't have provision for lubing.

4. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Okay! Thanks George!

5. George

George

6. Demon Seed

Demon Seed
    from BF-AZ

Hotheads sells a longer intermediate shaft that allows any LA (273/318/340/360) Mopar distributor to just bolt on to any 331/354 with no mods. They have the same thing for DeSoto and Dodge hemis as well. I believe its about $30.

7. aircoup

aircoup

hemi rambler has apoint i got real lucky and was given a nos holley complete it works great so far

8. BashingTin

BashingTin

9. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

10. An HEI???!!! Yuck!!!!

11. mr slingshot

mr slingshot
    from Belgium

I have a question i can buy a 5.7 hemi twin spark building year 2005,is it possible to build the engine without the computer and a normal intake?

12. 73RR

73RR

Intakes are available, not too sure what is being used for ignition.
    You might ask on this forum, or maybe over here.

The 5.7 is a very powerful engine.

13. mr slingshot

mr slingshot
    from Belgium

i found a site and they sell chip killers,anyone no what it is and will it work?

14. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

MSD 6 controller is what you would want for the 5.7

15. mr slingshot

mr slingshot
    from Belgium

So with the MSD 6 controller you can ride without the computer?

16. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

It takes the place of the oem computer.

17. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Back to early hemis. I have been working on this for a bit, and finally have this one done for show and tell.
    This is a Pertronix Flame Thrower II plug and play electronic distributor with vacuum advance.. No fancy ignition box needed. Just hook up the two wires.
    This distributor pictured now fits any early hemi. From a 241 to a 392. I machined the housing and made an adjustable mounting collar. The collar is double O-ringed inside to prevent oil seepage, as well as a single O-ring where it goes into the block. Three set screws secure the collar.
    No more special intermediate shafts or splicing distributor shafts. You can now get perfect distributor/intermediate shaft engagement.
    Stop in at Carlisle and take a look. ;)

Attached Files:

18. BashingTin

BashingTin

Holy Cow! Now that is clever... I likey. :)

19. jsrail

jsrail

Now you have these! I have a Flamethrower III billet distributor for our Dodge 315 Poly I bought months ago with an intermediate shaft from Hot Heads with the matching coil. Well, I'll look you guys up when I build our 331 Hemi. Would be nice to have a one-piece distributor!

20. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

how about the 426 hemi plug well boot install? how does that work on are early hemis?

21. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Scott ,

Great thread for sure !

Just a note about the HEI Vertex mag look alike units as i have fixed quite a few of these units in the last few months.

The problem come from the fact that they use a very low resistance ignition coil ( = high current draw) and it sits very close to the pertronixs control unit. The magnetic interferance causes a problem especially if the engine is requiring any high energy at the plugs at all . Like a large plug gap ( a no-no) , air leak or high rpm etc. The large magnetic fields coming from the ignition coil makes the pertronixs skip and cycle or two creating a missfire.

The fix is to convert the unit into a remote coil system ( vertex actually makes a remote coil magneto) and simply rewire the unit to take the coil out of the system. Vertex/Taylor actually sell a nut and bolt to convert the cap into the remote system. Just remove ( cut off) the coil lead inside the cap, drill a hole and add the terminal , then use a long coil wire placing the coil where ever you wish. Run the two module wires to the coil and go from there .
    I wouldnt suggest taking the unit apart as the upper cam assembly must be indexed for proper rotor phasing and would be a problem to realign without a distributor machine. Also the lower end and advance unit is very fragile and some knowledge is needed to take apart without a problem as well...

The next one we convert i will post some pics for this thread etc...

22. I SMELL SMOKE

I SMELL SMOKE

What size is the distributor hold down bolt and thread size?

23. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

Hey GMC Bubba,

Could that look alike mag be used to trigger an MSD box with a remote coil?

24. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Sure, also we remove the coils from a real mag when defective ( expensive to fix) and usevthe new cdi box as well with remote coil.

25. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

Thanks! Ill give you a shout tommorow

26. 94blackta

94blackta

Ok fellas I have looked over well Hemi Ignition threads and have yet to find anything on the Distributor that I have removed from my 354 truck motor. Interchangeability? Any info? Thanks for your time!

27. 94blackta

94blackta

354 truck motor

Attached Files:

28. Not sure about interchange information. I went the easy (but expensive) route and bought a ready-to-run MSD distributor from hotheads for my 354.

If you go that route, make sure to change the springs...out of the box, the timing advance isn't right.

29. 94blackta

94blackta

I already bought a joe hunt magneto, But I am sweating because I did not do enough Homework on this type of block before i went on a spending spree, now finding out I have to rework my game plan :/

30. 73RR

73RR

Yes, the truck piece is unique. Yes, you will need a new intermediate shaft.

All 301-331-354, including trucks, marine and industrial, have the same dimensions on the top of the block and use the same distributor shaft length so all are interchangeable as far as being a 'drop-in'.
    The A-LA distributor shaft is ¼" shorter and requires 'something'...usually a taller intermediate shaft but the dizzy shaft can be stretched.