Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. csiki22

csiki22

We were real shelltered as kids....it sucked..my mom was pissed when i became an
    auto mechanic ! Booze ruled my live for along time...stopped that for along time...dry since 2005 and wayyy happier then ever...anyways....its awesome making these contacts!

2. csiki22

csiki22

Im going for sure!......hope for an invite!

3. csiki22

csiki22

Stan that Jag is the coolest!....

4. csiki22

csiki22

I gotta get back ta work.....i know its not old but heres the Zimmerman![​IMG]

5. csiki22

csiki22

6. csiki22

csiki22

7. csiki22

csiki22

8. csiki22

csiki22

9. easter

easter

Jay Woodside at Topeka. That's Don Mack's #4 car behind Jay.

[​IMG]

10. easter

easter

Better pic of Jay Woodside. The "Western" cars (Kansas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, etc) always seemed to me to have the rear axle shoved forward and the left rear in tighter to the body as compared to the cars back east. Thad Dosher's pic and this one of Jay seems to show that. Also, on this car, look how far back the roll bar is from the seat back.

[​IMG]

11. easter

easter

I believe this is the car Jay Woodside was driving in Tampa in 1970. That's the Long Bros. #55 behind this car. I think J.D. Leas was driving for them at that time.

[​IMG]

12. Steve Bonesteel

Steve Bonesteel
    from Clovis, Ca

Wow, lots of photos of my car, thanks. If you can take more look up my site stevebonesteel.com Go to the sprint car page and see where I started to now. At the bottom of the page is movie I made when I ran at Fontana in 2007. Look at some of the other cars that were running that day and watch the oil pressure and see me blow that nailhead.

13. wheels53

wheels53
    from Australia

John, the rear cover you have was manufactured by Pro Kar Components in Mechanicsburg PA. I bought a couple of them directly from PK almost 30 years ago while on a visit to Williams Grove. They were a nicely made piece with a good o-ring seal. Wish I still had one! From memory PK were the dealers for Gambler chassis in the PA area. Wheels

14. racer5c

racer5c

I remember Crocky mentioning your father a lot I think he thought highly of him

15. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

In my opinion (and some other folks too) if he had survived the name Csiki would have been right up there with Mario and AJ and the rest of the famous names. He had the driving skills and he had the determination to do it in machines that he built himself.
    Denny Z

16. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

I could be wrong, but I believe that the car went to the EMMR Museum at Latimore Valley, PA directly from the show room at Barzda's California Speed Sport shop in NJ.

It sat in the shop for many years .. parked just after it raced some where. I viewed it there a few times .. quite some years ago.

17. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

And he won MANY features in that car that Stan Lobitz now has.

Here are a few pictures of Joe Csiki and that car.

Attached Files:

18. BIG JOHN 37

BIG JOHN 37
    from central NJ

Ken, The Joe Barzda, California Speed & Sport Shop stretched Midget currently on display at the EMMR museum, at Latimore Valley, was purchased, and owned by Chuck Reinert Sr., bought in a sealed bid Auction by the daughters of either Joe or Ed Barzda, Can't remember which. The current proprietor of CS&S is Jimmy Barzda,Paul's son, who is a member on here, as jbarzda, i believe. Reported purchase price, depending who you believe, was between 8-12K. Spoke to Chuck not long after purchase, we discussed whether to clean up and leave as is, or restore, I voted as is. I have many fond memories of just sitting in it at CS&S as a kid, when my Uncle Jiggs drove it, with many successes, and I'd be there with my Dad picking up parts for his Stock Car, or my Go Cart.

19. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

Yes, Stan Lobitz is here on the H.A.M.B. and sooner or later will most probably chime in.

Mike, if you want an experience .. and see that "$" car that was once your Dads .. make plans to attend Stan Lobitz's 26th Annual (Old Timers - Open Cockpit) Get Together and Banquet in November at his catering facility in Hazleton, PA.

You'll not only get to see that car (and an entire barn full of MANY more), but also meet many people who knew your Dad &/or raced with him &/or saw him race .... plus, you'll have a GRRRREAT time too.

If I'm not mistaken it will be the second Sunday in November.

OOPS!!! I should have continued to read before I posted .. Stan & Denny already had it covered. :)

I'll say this regarding Stan's annual party ... there's no invite needed. You're Joe Csiki's son, so it's automatic!!!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  20. kevinnewman502

kevinnewman502
    from Kentucky

I recognize the Knickerboker Trophy! (3 posts back)

21. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

Hi John ..

How are you?

THANKS for correcting me. :)

I THINK I recently saw pictures of your Uncle .. Jiggs Peters .. in that car.

BTW .. At Ken Brenn's show in NJ last September, was it you who wanted a copy of the get together at Marty Himes museum last summer? .... If so either Private Message me on here or eMail me at [email protected] with your eMail address so I can send you a copy.

22. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

I share that opinion with Denny.

Either on this thread &/or on the Vintage Cageless Midget thread here on the H.A.M.B. I've spoken about a 100 lap ARDC race at Old Bridge (NJ) Stadium where your Dad .. except for the second place car of Ray Brown .. lapped the entire field. I feel if the race was five laps longer, he would have lapped Ray Brown too.

That was in the last midget that he'd built. He had sold it to the Bennett Brothers and was driving it for them, as a team mate to "Dutch" Schaefer.

Keep in mind that then the ARDC not only had some of the best cars & drivers on the east coast .. but in the entire country.

23. Steve,that was well worth a look......pity about the blown motor.

24. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

Unfortunately, I must report that Tom Carnegie has died.:(
    There are very few people, on this earth, who cannot be replaced.....
    but Tom Carnegie was one of the few.

Godspeed Mr. Carnegie

25. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

Evidently that trophy had a long history & tradition .. on Page 87 .. Posting 1726 of the Vintage Cageless Midget thread here on the H.A.M.B. Ronnie Evans son John posted a picture of his Dad receiving a Knickerbocker Trophy at Westbobo in 1954.

IIRC there's also additional mention of it, with yet someone else receiving it, either some where on here or the midget thread .... but then some times this old brain gets foggy too. :confused:

26. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

One of the most unique, distinct & recognizable voices ever, in all of auto racing.
    RIP Mr. Tom Carnegie.

27. cg5

cg5

Easter
    This car was a "western car" as it was built by Don Brown. It was owned by Keith Barker in this time period.

Curt Grogan

28. kevinnewman502

kevinnewman502
    from Kentucky

Here's Tommie wth it in 1959...of all the many trophies that Tommie won in his career only the Knickerbocker Trophy and the Wally Campbell Memorial (circa 1954) were ever on display in our house...these two awards meant a lot to him!

Attached Files:

29. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

Hi Mike ...

John Evans, son of the late Ronnie Evans (who raced with your Dad) pretty much answered my question about THE WORM over on the Vintage Cageless Midget thread on here ... Page 91 .. Post 1803 on that thread.

It seems that it was severely wrecked, sometime in the 1970's, at Monadanock (NH). Both front & rear axles ripped out of the car.

I'll post the pictures that John did, plus any others that I can quickly find on that car. John gave more info as to who owned it & who was driving it, when it was wrecked. ..... Again, on the Vintage Cageless Midget thread.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  30. easter

easter

Where was Don Brown from? It's cool that you and others have answers for some of the stuff on this thread. I always remember Dosher, Goodwin, Woodside, and some others having cars that seemed like the left rear was tucked up close to the body. I didn't know if it was because of builders in that area, the types of tracks in that area, or what the reason. The cars in Ohio, Indiana, Penn, etc. seemed to have a more "balanced" rear axle: closer to equal spacing on both tubes. Now remember, I was just a kid, but for some reason that really sticks in my mind.