Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Curbspeed Coupe. "Holy Hell" 10/4/2020

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by curbspeed, Dec 19, 2010.

1. JohnJoyo

JohnJoyo
    Alliance Vendor
    from Austin, TX

Those look great. Can't wait to see them powder coated and on the car.

2. lowtruck

lowtruck
    from Omaha

Those '32 frame reveals look killer. Don't think I've seen that done before, and now I wonder why.

3. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great stuff. Love that Pierson Bros. vibe also.

4. Noooooooowaaaaaaaay! It is cold enough here today. We are getting are 5 minutes of winter and that is more than enough. Give me some heat!. Now if I could just talk a bunch of my NW hotrodding buddies to move somewhere more sensible than I would be really happy. I may even have to turn on the heater in the shop tonight. That's not good. Off to work!!!!

5. John, Looking forward to getting this car done so I can drive comfortably out to the LSRU. Then you can see them in person. I want to get over to A.S.S. and meet you fella's some day. You guys to great work and have some cool rides.

6. I like four seasons ! the rain, the cold, NW Summers( to heck with that 100+ heat in the Summer) it's all good ! let's see some more updates !

7. Keep up the great work Dale! Any recent updates?
    Miss seeing you and your roadster at the Hot-Rod-A-Rama. Enjoy the sun.

8. hasty

hasty

Very nice so far. Looking forward to seeing it emerge.

9. Update: Been working on the frame a little bit. Boxing with Ionia hotrod shop plates. Having to modify them quite a bit as I have changed the shape of these rail significantly. Adding some tubing inside the boxing to allow for wiring,fuel,battery, and maybe brakelines. Pictures will explain. Tubing will be painted black with undercoating and will disappear inside the belled holes. F-1 steering doubler made. Using the Vern Tardel method.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
    Runnin shine and mgtstumpy like this.
  10. A few more pics of the messy shop and the suspension mockup beginning.

Attached Files:

ls1yj and mgtstumpy like this.
  11. Looking good man, love the tube axle up front and the quickie out back. What's the deal on the F1 steering doubler? I'm not familiar with this.

12. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

It's coming along nicely Dale. Keep us posted.

13. Thanks Doug, How's your roadster project coming along? I bet your driving it already.
    Dubzilla, The doubler is for added strength. It is suggested in Vern Tardels Steering booklet for converting F-1 steering boxes into early Fords. I figured it couldn't hurt. Having a steering box that flexes in the frame does not appeal to me. I need to head out into the lab and work on this beast but am having trouble getting motivated today. I need to push on though.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  14. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

PM me your email and I'll send you pictures. Painted, assembled, and in the midst of throwing wires at it is where I am. This spring for sure... Ford Picnic...

15. Doug,I forgot to tell you you should post your roadster pics here so all can enjoy. Cool that you are getting so close. I'm sure it will be groovy.

16. Weird. Why does the date say yesterday? I posted this stuff today. I did get out into the shop tonight and got the chases installed and coated black with bedliner. This car will get some salt on it so it needs to be protected inside the framerails.

17. Yeah, I get it now :) just hearing the word "doubler" made me think that you also did something to change the actual steering ratio. But there's no pics posted of anything like that.

Proceed! hahah

18. Looking good Dale. I'm doing a rear frame bob/kick up as well. I saw an old pic from the 50's in TRJ awhile back of a kid that did that. His looked a little hacked with sharp angles (severe pie cut). Mine will flow and transition with the body a bit like yours. You need to be careful when bobbing these because if you pull it too close to the body, the straight push bar fights with the nice curvy rear tail pan. I know Marshall will get it right.

19. Comet, Thanks. Paul Reichlin told me the other day when I was talking to him that you are going to have him do the interior. Is that right? He will do a bang up job for sure. Don't you worry about that rear spreader bar looking right. You will be so enthralled with all the louvers on the decklid you won't even notice it. I do plan to arc the spreader bar some when I get to the bodywork in the back. It's not on in these last set of pics. The bar with the holes is lower than my spreader bar and behind it. Where are you living at these days? Done with Japan?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  20. coming along nice Dale !

21. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Just found this thread, very nice stuff going on. Love the details and individuality that your putting into this build. Just moved to NW from SOCAL so I'm experiencing the weather thing in reverse. But as rob-redm said , love the fours seasons etc. and needed a real change in life style for my second career. Subscribed to your thread as I'm anxious to follow your build. Great stuff.

22. 5wcoupehunter

5wcoupehunter
    from FLORIDA

The coupes look'in real nice.

23. Yep, it's going to be real old school simple, but Paul will do the interior and roof insert. Just moved to South Carolina and bought a house. Working on building the shop next so I can play with my toys.
    Curved spreader bar sounds interesting, keep up the good progress man!

24. six pack to go

six pack to go
    from new jersey

Like it!! Looks like you had a nice 34 to start with....cant wait to see the body mated to that frame! Very cool!!

25. 18n57

18n57

Glad this thread popped up, missed it somehow. Like the idea and the progress so far...plus I'm kinda partial to the model...

26. Dude,Thanks. But I think your in for a big surprise. One season. Rainy. With a brief scattering of high clouds once in a while.
    Rob, Your my biggest fan. Thanks buddy!
    I should make some progress this weekend if I'm lucky.
    "The Swede with the Need for Speed" tm

27. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

like what you've done so far,be a tuff lookin coupe. gettin started after a marriage malfuncion can be a bitch.keep-on truckin

28. Legendary Lars

Legendary Lars

Thanks for showing us your build its awesome, I like everything about it.

29. Super nice fabrication skill. Alot of work on the frame. Will look great painted. Big fan of the orange and creme color choice. Keep taking your time. craftmanship is shining.

Bests

V

30. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Just an absolute killer build Dale. I am stuck on your skills... Your vision is fantastic.
    Man..I love this car.

lothiandon1940 likes this.