Register now to get rid of these ads!

El Cheapo Chrome ???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pimpin paint, Feb 10, 2011.

1. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

For the past few years I keep hearing 'bout guys getting "diamond deals'' on chrome work from below the border in ol' Mexico. This chrome is suppose to be the real deal, hard plate a.k.a. medical grade, not flash chrome and brightners. I'm told of places below or in Juareze(sp.) that are industrial enterprise zones that can/will produce anything for US industry without all the ''nannystate'' EPA bullshit.
    Do these places really run car parts, and are they ''restoration quality'' jobs, or the ''show-chrome'' bullshit we've been gettin' for the last 10-15 years? Urban legend or chin music? You tell me?

" Your head would look good on a pike "

2. noxided

noxided

oh yea. My soon to be father in law is from chihahua and he has hade severl bumpers redone for cheap there and they are show quality that has lasted. The same goes for paint and bdu work. He had a 71 ranger that was rough, they did the body work and paint for $1000, here it would have been at least $4000. Ive got a lot of chrome on my 63 lincoln and 53 merc, its all heading that way real soon.

3. Special Ed

Special Ed

"Show chrome" is kind of subjective....I've had some stuff done there, and wasn't impressed. It was priced right, and it was shiny but I would hardly consider it show quality. Best chrome I've ever seen came out of Jon Wright's Custom Chrome in Ohio.

4. noxided

noxided

i quess it all depends on where you go. If you want show, there is a guy in conroe texas charges about $800 a bumper and has a 40 year warranty.

5. Squablow

Squablow

Kinda getting off topic, but what is "medical grade" chrome? Is there anything in an operating room that's chrome plated? I think it's all stainless, chrome would be dangerous in a medical setting.

Sorry for the hijack, just never heard of that before.

6. We used to go over the border to Canada when our money was worth more ( late 80's early 90's ) Drive over with bumpers pull em, drive home wait for the call, drive back and install

7. Rob Paul

Rob Paul

Id try pretty hard to keep it local before I send anything south of the border. Ive got alot of chrome work done in the last year. Ive crated and shipped out of state, driven 30 miles to drop it off, sent out bumpers etc. Around here I can find a fair price. Im not sending shit out of the US.

8. noxided

noxided

you yankee's im in texas so... its pretty much mexico just a little nicer there.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
  9. 5window

5window

I don't know what surgeons for humans use, but in my vet hospital operating room, all we use is stainless. Some of the less critical pieces we use-like pointed towel clamps- are less expensive Pakistan or Polish-we use them until they break then replace them. Anything critical-needleholders,hemostats,forceps, we only use the best German 316L stainless. Not many surgical instruments made here-but then, there never were that I know of. In human hospitals, they probably use plastic and throw it away-or leave it inside you. :)