Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Today's Lesson: Measure 800 times, install once.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jim Lohman, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Jim Lohman

Jim Lohman
    from Colorado

Weld-in MII x-member 4 inches off center, sigh.

Attached Files:

2. HommerSimpson

HommerSimpson

They say... things like this makes us smarter...

3. HotRod33

HotRod33

you must have had a tape measure that was made in china.........

4. AAFD

AAFD
    from US of A

Wow. Next time, tack it in, then pull some more measurements before fully welding.

5. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

I don't see anything wrong.........???

CB

6. gtkane

gtkane

I know what you mean...I cut it 4 times, and it's still too short!

7. As the rest of us are laughing and pointing a finger at you, we're pointing the other fingers back at ourselves...;)

8. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Look at it this way, you paid your dues... Welcome to the Homer Simpson "DOH!" club. I'm member #16548854366 :D

9. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

4" isn't that bad. I would have just rolled with it and not told anybody.

10. I rebuilt my AV8 frame twice because of my chinese tape measure. :D:p

11. Cymro

Cymro

Please explain, was the original wheelbase kept?
    or was the wheelbase altered in any way to centre the wheels in the arches?
    or was the wheel base shorter one side by 4" than the other?

or is that the lengthby which the wheelbase needed altering by?

I apologise for the apparent tone of the question, but I'm interested to know what you mean.

12. williebill

williebill

You and I must be related to each other...long lost brother maybe?

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

that might be more truth than laughs. I did find out during my current home "improvement" project that a guy should use the same tape measure when measuring on a project and not switch tapes.

Ok, Jim, Inquiring minds just have to know how you got four inches off in that install.

Master as apposed to Standard?

14. Jim Lohman

Jim Lohman
    from Colorado

No problem. Heidts front kit specific to my car, 35 Chev Master Del. Sedan. Instructions say 18 inches back from end of frame for center line. Which is exactly where it is. Rear axle installed months afterward. Didnt think to hang fender, didnt think to check wheel base. My car has three different frames for model year. I hung a fender the other night while trying to stab engine, turns out I cant turn wheels with current setup. Wheel base is 108 now, needs to be 112 or 113. Kicking myself!

15. Jim Lohman

Jim Lohman
    from Colorado

At this point I have to laugh too to remain sane.

16. Jim Lohman

Jim Lohman
    from Colorado

Hind-sights a bitch right?

17. Jim Lohman

Jim Lohman
    from Colorado

Pics show how it looks today with x-member chopped out and rebuilding the frame to re-install member in correct place.

18. big bad john

big bad john

.....Hey man.....Shit happens!!!!!!don't be so hard on yourself.......most rodders have one or two problems when working on their cars....

19. AAFD

AAFD
    from US of A

Well, you learned your lesson there. Don't worry everyone has done something similar, even pro builders. Just keep trucking along and take any advice that is given into consideration. Good luck with it!

20. onedge

onedge

ah... best advice has been given, good luck.

21. Crafty B

Crafty B

measure 801 times..sorry man I feel your pain
    CB

22. Jim Lohman

Jim Lohman
    from Colorado

Thanks, I figured everyone could use a good laugh. Not worried, it is fixable.

23. Crafty B

Crafty B

we have ALL done that at one time or another, after having to grind a pile of weld off I learned to just tack everthing until it's time to burn it in.
    CB

24. Jim Lohman

Jim Lohman
    from Colorado

Ah yes, the 51st state...

25. NINE INCH

NINE INCH

Well, You know, If it was easy....Everybody would do it. Same thing in my garage. I do everything three times.

26. iammarvin

iammarvin
    BANNED
    from Tulare, Ca

It's only metal, it can be fixed. Wise words from a friend to someone who screws up.....alot.

27. Jim Lohman

Jim Lohman
    from Colorado

Frame rebuilt, ready for re-installation.

Attached Files:

28. Cover it in dryer sheets and get a Harbor Freight frame rail shrinker/streacher.. It will be fine.. Sorry.. Coffee kicked in..

Anyway.. Looks like you have it under control. I had a '35 master coupe. The front suspension was some oddball looking knee action thing with big assed spring pockets. Never looked at it too close.. Were the spring pockets in the frame or crossmember? It looked like a nightmare to me..

29. farmer12

farmer12

I know how you feel. My friend and I spent one whole afternoon measuring, drawing, hanging fenders, measuring and measuring before even one cut was made. At least you realised in time, rectified it properly and can start back at square one. We've all been there before......and like someone else said, "it's only metal". Good luck with installation. Here's a few pics of mine, maybe it will help a little. farmer12

Attached Files:

30. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Now isn't building your own hotrod all by yourself so much fun ? We ALL learn by our mistakes . As long as you learned what you did wrong you will be able to correct it and get it right the next time .
    No I am not laughing either like you think . I would have laughed my ass off if you left it 4" out of square and kept on building the MII front end ! Now that would have been funny as hell ! :eek:
    I have to ask , what or where did you measure from to end up with it that far off ? With it being 4" off there should have been some kind of trouble getting the cross member in there to be welded . So when it wasn't fitting correctly the first time , didn't you consider something might be wrong . I am not trying to bust your balls . Are your rails square to start with or did you just lay it on the floor or jack stand and go from there . Just remember you aren't the only one to screw up something when building a car . We all have done it more than once and if someone tell you they never did , then they never made anything !
    So I see you got it all welded back up so what's your next approach to the problem or have you figured out what went wrong ? Best thing to do is walk away and come back tomorrow and start over . Frustration will only make it worst .

Retro Jim