Register now to get rid of these ads!

Remember when AMT Model Car Kit was $1.50

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fordstandard, May 2, 2010.

1. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

I still have mine :D
    [​IMG]

2. lt1racing

lt1racing

[​IMG]
    got a few. ...............atleast 2-3 x's as many as in the pic.

3. 6bblbird

6bblbird
    from New Jersey

I think that I started building models in the 1950s. I still build today. Its very therapeutic. I don't worry too much about the price of kits. I just buy what I want. Here is one that I just finished:
    [​IMG]
    I combined a Lindberg '64 Belvedere and a resin kit,scratch built some parts and used a lot of parts box left overs. I made the "Outer Limits" decals on my computer.
    WF

4. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

That's essentially the reissue of the "Ohio George Montgomery" Willys model. You can still buy this one today I believe.

5. C.R.Glow Neon

C.R.Glow Neon
    from stockton

just got in here. invesable V8, going on my bike in 120degree heat in the valley in summer to MOE'S toy shop. had a slot car track and models , chemistry stuff, etc. moe drank use to yell at us 'you buy'n" from the back room, model $2.00 plus tax , oh yea the GLUE, got to buy a model to get the glue, what a BUZZZZ. RD

6. Deuces

Deuces

That kinda looks like my model stash in the closet.... Minus those 90's Camaro kits... :eek:

7. steveb

steveb

There's a thread every Sunday called "Sunday Models" where people post what they are working on.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=558043

8. Deuces

Deuces

Was pactra model glue any good compared to Testors??? I found this tube in a model kit box I got off of ebay some years back... The tube is still plyable (sp) so the glue is probably still good... With the price on there, it looks like it's from the late '60's...

Attached Files:

9. S.F.

S.F.

that is RAD!!!!!!!

10. I remember the AMTs being $1.29 in D.C. back in 1959. You could get the Jo-
    Hans for 99 cents. At the local hobby shops around here they are currently going for about $18 to $25 for the average kit.

11. Sauli

Sauli

Oh WoW! That is really SHARP-looking work right there, Sir! The stance, the colors, everything is just right on!
    I´ve been meaning to try making my own decals for a while, what color decal film did You use for these, if You don´t mind me asking?

12. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

the AMT 's where 2 bucks and the good smelling glue was a dime

13. Deuces

Deuces

Yeah, that is sharp! :D

14. felix37

felix37

Do you remember the Big Deuce! It was 1/8th scale kit from Monogram.I got one for my 14th birthday,I only finished the engine and frame could never make up my mind weather to build highboy style or full fendered.I still have the kit still in its original box.

15. They re-released it a few years back. My problem, with the new issue, is which engine to use, the flat head or the Pontiac V-8... (fenders packed away....)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Deuces

Deuces

WoW!!! Love that detail!!! :) I have a few versions of the BiG Deuce including the first one from 1963.. :D

17. johnk320

johnk320
    from Erie PA

Gorgeous! Great work! Anyone else wanna post pix of their version of this great model??? Makes me want to go buy one... :)

18. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I suspect you are going to be flooded with Big Deuce pix. Here's mine. More pix of it in my albums. Gary

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  19. johnk320

johnk320
    from Erie PA

Yeah, that's OK! I like the cowl lights and driver in yours. Very nice... Thanks!

20. Deuces

Deuces

That is neat!!! Love the Lindy Y-block motor also!! :)

21. I haven't finished mine yet either. Bought it back in 70something. I painted and partly assembled the engine and that was about it. Mine's still sitting in the original box too.

22. Deuces

Deuces

I like the the newer versions of those.. With the flathead motor and steelies..

23. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

Sorry I just wanted to see all these model boxes again,
    love those models mazooma, you have a cool collection

24. HTbomb

HTbomb
    from Florida

Cool builds. Awesome collection. I loved building kits as a kid and tried again around ten years ago (built Boyd's Chezoom and a few Batmobiles).

Kits do seem pricey at first but you can buy them with coupons at Michaels for around $15.

25. coppertone

coppertone

School lunch was $.30 so if I just had a fudgesicle for lunch in 2 weeks I had enough money for a new model and a fresh can of paint. It was great planning for 2 weeks which model would be next and what color. By the time I had one built I had the next one paid for. My mom knew where the money was coming from but never said anything.

Oh, and when someones folks talked some kid into thinking he was to old to be "playing" with model cars sometimes you could buy his whole collection including all his spare parts and paint and all for maybe $5.00.

26. One of our old family friends knew I was into models, and gave me a neat old case of these little guys for my birthday last year.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

27. Deuces

Deuces

So, which ones are for sale??? :D

28. :D

I've never been very good at selling things. Someday, they'll find my body buried under an avalanche of old car crap.

29. studematt

studematt

Just some pic's of the junk in the cabinet in the dinning room. First two pic's are of all the 1958 amt/smp annuals (first actual model year) all in boxes. Next two pic's are some 1959 annuals amt and jo-han kits. My dad always told people when I was a kid that if the house burnt down they would find me dead in front of a pile of melted plastic. Been collecting early kits for over 20 years. In the second pic you can see a trojan box from 1954.

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  30. Deuces

Deuces