Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why is cruising dead???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zombie 51, Jan 24, 2011.

1. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

We cruised Frisch's and Jerry's back in the 60's in Louisville, Ky. and it was what we did every night. Gas was 35 cents a gallon, and fries and a coke were under a $1.00. Sadly neither of those places are opened any more, and it wouldn't matter, because the city "Fathers" outlawed cruising, about 20 years ago. You can now go to a "Cruise" as they call it, but you go and park you car and set beside it. You don't drive it through the place over and over again, to see and be seen in your cool car. Time marches on!

2. I'm a young guy, still in high school.

I live in a country area so it's kinda hard to just cruise, mostly because there's no where to cruise to. You usually travel instead of cruise if you know what I mean? No one has cars worth cruising in too, I'm the only person I know with a nice old car. Classics are just priced way out of anyones reach, I got lucky with mine, it's still something that a lot of you guys would turn your noses up at I'm sure.......

The 4WDers cruise a lot, to get to the tracks that is, sometimes you'l see a convoy of half a dozen 4WDs, all cruising to Malimup or some where like that. That's pretty cool. :cool:

Something I'd like to say....

YOU GUYS WAY OVER STEREOTYPE!!!!

Us younger guys don't spend our whole life txting, on facebook or playing video games. Sure, we all have phones, most of us have facebook but our lives don't revolve around them.

Video games are something most of us grew out of by the time we were 14-15 IMO. I haven't touched my playstation in years!

Also, ricers, no one I know has a ricey kind of car, sure they are around but 90% of people my age have a Commodore/Falcon, a 4WD or an appliance type car. The rest are Euros, classics and the odd Skyline or Silvia, usually stock.

All the people I know that have proper Ricers are in their 30s. [​IMG]

Thanks

Hayden

3. THANKS for the laugh:D. I never WANTED a Playstation, or anything like it!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  4. cavemag

cavemag

I use mine alot. Killing fake things and outrunning fake cops helps with my anger issues.

5. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

6. lawbreaker2

lawbreaker2
    from ohio

You go old man. Im right there with ya. Im 43 and still cruise and snowboard and im not stopping till they close the lid on my box.

7. lawbreaker2

lawbreaker2
    from ohio

Where u cruising at up there in northeast ohio. Come down to brunwick on sat. Night At Laruel sq by big lots, we pull in 300 to 500 cars easy and cruise 303 up to sonic.

8. sport fury

sport fury

maybe cruising is not dead. kids are driving around in fairly new cars and older cruisers may not think they are cruising around. there where a heck of a lot of kids cruising in later model cars 30 years ago when i was a teen. a lot of the cars in american graffiti would have been less than 7 yeas old in the movies setting of 1962.

9. Undercover Customs

Undercover Customs

Well stated!

To answer the question in the title - because we want it to be. Just do it, go cruise, organize a run make it happen. I live in a mountain comunity where "nobody drives classics or hotrods in the winter". I put together a run last weekend and people showed up driving their rods. I've had 11 guy's come into the store this week asking when the next one is cause they want to get out drive their rides. It will happen if you make it happen.

10. Me and a couple buddies tried to start a cruise one time and we got pulled over for it. "we are conjesting the avenue at 8 o'clock on a saturday...."

11. djtwigsta

djtwigsta

the towns I know of you get ticketed if they see you 3 times on the same strip within an hour. In our case its the now older generation thats retired and families putting things to the stop. And like most mentioned doesnt help with the one idiot or two...

12. If you can drive to some parking lot then you can organize a cruise to some place different once a month or so. In Albuquerque we're cruising to different places every other month, it's bring people out. we're doing donations to charity's and people are having fun, not dumb kids, We've spent to much time getting these ol cars going again to be stupid. anyone can do it. and the restaurants love it.

13. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

14. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

15. Kinda like "Retro Amish"? I have been thinking of this for some time now. It's the way I live daily......

16. espo35

espo35
    BANNED
    from california

Maybe it's OUR fault for not letting go of it as we got older.

How "cool" can it be as a teenager to do something fat, balding, old-farts, in too-small wind-breakers do?

17. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

kids want to appear tough. guns make them feel tough. there was a kid killed last week because they got into a fight at a party. they came back with guns. it happens.

I prefer organized "cruises" where everyone parks on the street, then makes an occasional lap. the streets are closed off, and everyone has a good safe time.
    http://south71cruisers.org/html/calender.html

the deciding factor is being organized and having it be closed in. aimless driving up and down a street does nothing for me anymore.

18. Roadagent2

Roadagent2

I guess its nobody's fault but our own...just get out there and do it, right!!!!!!

19. Actually its really no one's fault that cruising is dead. Way back when there was a song about a majic dragon named PUFF. The gist of it is that he ceased to exist because the little kid grew up and his interests changed.

I have been around long enough to see things really change, I was here for the polio vacine (too late for me I'm afraid), we had a television that was a large wood box with knobs on the side we lived in a large modern city and got 3 stations, telephones had dials, no one new anyone that owned a micro wave. I could go on for hours here but what I'm trying to say is that stuff changes. Cruising as most people accept it to be doesn't fit in the society we live in.

This is cruising in our society, we don't have fist fights any more we get surley on the keyboard, we don't street race once in awhile we go to someplace where someone has rented the track for the day and we hook 'em up. We don't have to drive around to meet people of the opposite sex we can do that online, its a crap shoot but meeting face to face was a crapshoot also.

We don't congregate in someones garage to build a car any more either we build each one his or her own and post pictures.

I think we have lost something in the process but that's because I'm old and I don't fit in modern society but the truth be known I didn't fit in back then either so its not that big a deal for me. I feel for those of you who didn't experience all this first hand but those are the kicks ya know, ya win a few ya loose a lot.

20. cederholm

cederholm

I think the “kids today are stupid” statement is pretty ignorant. When I was growing up in the late 60’s early 70’s there were PLEANTY of stupid kids (pretty sure I was one of them). Many of those clowns never left town or achieved much. Meanwhile my neighbor’s kids, yes KIDS two of them, both received scholarships to Columbia University. The son is studying engineering and has an internship with a race engineering shop.

I have a theory that the time I spent cruising as a kid is now being used for study. Granted this isn’t true about all kids, but as illustrated by the younger people on this thread there are a lot of smart kids out there. …some of them even put up with opinionated farts.<O:p</O:p

21. DuckusCrapus

DuckusCrapus

It is all due to society evolving into idiots!

Kids are stupid today, and why is that? Because the parents suck ass and don't raise them with any morals or any sense of what cruising is all about. Kids today don't see any enjoyment of crusing for a few hours driving 40mph in a sled. Not exciting enough to capture their limited soul.

But then again most the "adults" have pissed on the cruising scene as well. Cruise nights have evolved into power parking lawn chair fests. What happened to gassing up and driving the whole night?

Cruising is dead because of everyone pussing out.

...rant over. Guess this subject is a sore one with me. The local cruising laws here have really made it lame for us who didn't abuse the law in the first place.

DC

22. duke182

duke182

i havent read the whole thread but i will answer from my perspective and what i have seen here in sw arkansas.

-street racing is not cruising. although cruising might lead to some street racing
    -going to cruise nights is not cruising
    -people of a certain age no longer feel comfortable cruising aimlessly. maybe thats what created cruise nights?
    -laws have been passed against it in some towns. probablly because of racing and louder than hell stereos.
    -curfews have been put in place against many of the kids who might cruise and hang out otherwise
    -cops bully people who try to cruise and hang out. especially the younger ones who are scared to stand up for their right to assemble and/ or use the roads their fuel taxes pay for.
    -video games.
    -a lot of kids dont communicate unless its by text or social network
    -high gas prices
    -etc
    -oh yeah, some of us tend to cruise the HAMB more than we cruise the streets.:eek:

23. big bad john

big bad john

.....Not dead with me.....I still cruise with those kids very chance I get....and so do a lot of my friends......kids call us..."old dude's in cool cars"....those kids are cool too,....can't figure why people don't like them....cars change...... but people don't

24. espo35

espo35
    BANNED
    from california

Post of the Week....

26. duke182

duke182

Farmergal;he has a point. Anyone who lives in or near any of the major metropolitan areas is fully aware of "gang" activity. Colors,either solitary or in combination are often,if not always an identifying aspect of each gang. Yes,you can get shot for wearing the wrong color shirt,shoes,socks,hat,whatever. Sucks,but is part of life in the Big City.[/QUOTE]

i know its a different topic but it seems to me that in many areas someone saw cruising as a problem, and they put a stop to it, for the most part.
    to bad that same effort doesnt go into stopping the real criminal behavior.

oh yeah, if the big city is so dangerous, then maybe if no one is willing to make things change for the better, its time to get the hell out.

i know thats not the real solution, just an effort to say that if you have a proplem where you live, you cant always depend on others to fix it.
    so please stay in the city if thats where you live because its already too crowded where i am.

27. AllenK

AllenK

Amen!! I went to school with plenty of dumbasses! And they still act like they did back then!

My 13 year-old nephew doesn't really care about cars,but he is big into sports. He plays videogames and texts a lot,but he also spends a lot of time outside and does well in school. He's a great kid! One of the best I've ever been around. It could all change in a few years I know,but maybe not. I'm proud to be his Uncle. Now the 6 year old brother is another story LOL!!! I'm proud of him too though. Don't write off all the kids!

28. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Come on out to Oakland, and I will show you. You can get shot for being on the wrong block.

There are places here that make Willamantic look like paradise, Putnam look like utopia, and Thompson look like Valhalla.

As for cruising, go to YouTube and look up "Oakland sideshows". This will show you what cruising looks like here, and possibly why we rodders don't really do it much.

29. Not dead here! We have a cruise night the first tuesday of every month, the one night there were over 200 cars cruising! Yes I said 200 cars! Everything from hotrods, streetrods to muscle cars!

30. Bonzai Bomber

Bonzai Bomber
    from Dallas

In the mid-90's, we used to cruise downtown Miami, Oklahoma. All the cars jammed up downtown, the loud speakers and the occasional fight brought that to an end for everyone.
    The cops started pulling us over and ticketing us if they saw the same car 3 times in 1 hour or if you had your music up too loud. We then headed to Joplin, Missouri. Every Friday and Saturday night, we would cruise. Not sure if they still do that or not up there.