Register now to get rid of these ads!

Coolest thing you have ever found at a wrecking yard???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jokerjason, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Hot Rod Elvis

Hot Rod Elvis

Are you serious!?!?! I hope you didn't get rid of that Caddy! Dang....I would've been doing flips for that thing...and for $200? WOW!

-Cody

2. RiKi5156

RiKi5156

At an old ranch in Lile WA, I found a 63 Belvedere real Max wedge car minus motor for $200. After dragging it home the farmer called 2 weeks later to say he had the original engine and pushbutton trans in an outbuilding for another $200. After a nice but not expensive resto,($8000) in 1989 I sold it to a fellow in Florida for $70,000.Put togethor stock,it ran 11.80s through the stock exhaust. Was a lot of fun and when I first saw it on the farm I thought "wow a real max wedge out in boonieland) Who da thought it?

moval57wagon likes this.
  3. CAVEMAN_1960

CAVEMAN_1960
    from Michigan

Back in the early '70's a buddy of mine needed a transmission for his '67 Mustang. We went down the street to a very small junk yard in Mount Morris, Michigan and bought a 1963 Ford Custom 300 2-door post sedan for $75. The engine was missing but it still had the top loader 4 speed. We put the trans in the 'Stang and before we scrapped the body shell I found a pair of cast iron exhaust headers stashed in the trunk. Later on it was determined that this was originally an "R" code 427 vehicle. And I scrapped the car and after many years and several moves have lost track of the 427 cast iron headers as well. Ooooops!

4. the only thing I have ever found was a really neat ratchet wrench that had a 3/8 drive on one side and a 1/4 drive on the other. It is now my favorite ratchet.

5. woodienut

woodienut
    from So.Cal.

Was Junk...
    The guy laughed at me when I told him I take the Woodie.
    I almost cried when I saw the quick-change my buddy tripped over half berried in the dirt.

Attached Files:

Kevs56 likes this.
  6. slickhale

slickhale
    from Phoenix

[QUOTE="HOTROD";6194148]more......[/QUOTE]

why do i want that monster coupe so bad?

Maverick Daddy likes this.
  7. toddc

toddc

I lost a ratchet like that in a wrecking yard. Next time you are in Australia could I get it back?:D

8. grey46

grey46

I was 17 begining of summer ,went to the local yard ,and found the owners daughter ,best summer ever ,but thats a story for another time .

9. Smokey2

Smokey2

Let's Me See!!!!
    LaSalle Trans w/ long shifter!
    ' pr 37 DeSota BUMPERS
    Exact window trim/ weatherseals....Off a Rambler!!, that I needed 4 '40 Merc HARDTOP?
    N.O.S ' 40 Ford rear fenders and one runnin' board!

And.......recently!........TWO Poo-lease man's, wanting to know, "How cum ya' been in there three hours......taking off parts???, WITHOUT PERMISSION???,
    HUH?, You got a Lot of Explainin' to do!!, Whats thers PARTS?, In your Van??"

Have a Great Day!, Everyday!, For who knows ?:cool:Smoke, in tha' Mtn's

10. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

I have some questions... what's a Desota, how do Rambler seals fit a Merc, and why were you stripping parts in my yard? ;)

Some crazy looking old guy came up to me in a wrecking yard a few years back and flopped some lead ingots on my cart, tells me they were in an old cop car as counter weights, then he just walks away with a cheesy grin... I went through check out (it was a pick-n-pull) and they didn't charge me for them... took them in when lead was high a few years back and got some good cash that I then put into my 72 Coronet Cop car!

11. Aussie osborne

Aussie osborne

A young red hot redhead in a tank top and hotpants.

i found her wandering around U-pull-it wrecking yard today but i couldn't take her home...

12. Wazza matter? Didn't you bring enough money?...;)

Maverick Daddy likes this.
  13. budd

budd

i found a 55 desoto two door hard top, all there except the dist. paid the guy $100, that was 30 years ago.

14. ghille45

ghille45

I used to play in a 57 Desoto with my brother when I was a kid, while my dad worked the garage in the front. I wonder if it's still there?

15. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

Trunk was already full!:D

16. six pack to go

six pack to go
    from new jersey

I had heard about an old junkyard that was in the woods in the town that I live in that had Model T and A Fords in it. So, I locate the area where the junkyard was and it was totally cleared out but was still fenced in....Im not going to tresspass so I just walked the outside of the fence and stumbled accross a piece of chrome about 3 inches long.....I start digging and it turns out to be a 1931 Chevy grille shell!!! Chrome was good and it didnt rust at all!! I wondered why it didnt rust until I drilled into it and discovered that they were made out of brass! Way cool score! Must be tons of rusty relics still in the ground over there.

17. mixedupamx

mixedupamx

for my 70 AMX-very nice complete amc 360(never been apart an can still see crosshatch in the bores!) $200.00 . 68 amc/borg warner t-10 4 speed (needs syncros but gears and etc. are perfect) $75.00 . 2 totaly rust free javelin doors $75.00 ea. couldnt get my wallet out fast enough on all these deals!!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  18. Realgonegasser

Realgonegasser

Pair of doors laying on the ground for my 69 Nova in the same color as the car (butternut yellow), faded to an almost exact match to my car....no paint or primer required! Also, complete burnt orange interior in a 70 satellite....brought a GTX owner to tears......both finds in the early 90's!

mcnally351 likes this.
  19. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

I just found a Ford Factory CB for one of my O/T's, I've been looking for 15 years!

Then I stopped by Princess Auto and they had GM factory CB mics for $2 each, so I bought several!

All I need now is a Chrysler record player...:D

20. bklmerc

bklmerc
    from ohio

This was about 20 years ago My best find was a large box of old original dealer literature from the late
    30,s 40,s and 50,s.You know the stuff with the new car pictures and new features for that year ,still had the glue seal on the edges and many never opened and had local dealer stamps on them Chevy, ford, Buick and a bunch more,must have been 75 of them:D (ME) Hay! what you want for these?(Him) if anyone comes in to the sale and has on of these cars thay can have it.:eek: I gave him $5.00 for the box:D:D:D
    I sold most all to a guy NY for $400.00 still have a few I liked.

Attached Files:

21. gibraltar72

gibraltar72
    from Osseo Mi.

The Coolest thing I ever found I couldn't buy I was in a yard in Sylvania Ohio in the early 60s looking at an Anglia body when way over yonder something just sparkled as the sun hit it. It was kinda on a small hill. I decided to get closer to see what it was as I got closer I could see it was a 1955 T Bird painted in a metalflake green not a bad car at all had no top but rest of car seemed to be there. I asked Larry who ran yard how it ended up there. He said a guy came in said he couldn't get it running and was tired of working on it. and sold it for junk! The coolest thing I ever bought was in Adrian Mi. I believe Dusseaus they had a 67 Fairlane wrecked and as I walked by I noticed it had two very different wheels on the back I bought the pair for 20 bucks cause I knew they were Pantera wheels sold em through Hemmings for $400

22. studedudeus

studedudeus

Found a pair of Casler 7" white wall cheater slicks for $10 in San Angelo Tx.
    Bought a body and frame for a Curtis midget racer for $50 in Pensacola FL. Later sold the midget for $100, and kept the grill for my garage wall.

23. hillbillyhellcat

hillbillyhellcat

Found a botched chop and Nova clipped late 40s plymouth, a '50s packard conv rusted to crap with wide white snow tires, a '66 T-Bird someone made into a T-Top!, an AMC Pacer on a Jeep chassis, a '64 Caddy limo on a F250 4X4 chassis, a Henry J, an NOS F600 gauge cluster for my '67 F100 sitting on a shelf.... When I was in school I bought every old hubcap they had, cleaned them up and eBay'd them all - doubled my money, not bad. They owners son made fun of me for buying a bunch of hubcaps.

This particular yard is owned by a hard core Chevy and Corvette fan - rumor has it that he has barns all over the county stashed with rare cars and parts. He gave his 16 your old a factory DZ302 Camaro which he raced and blew up - Keep in mind this was in 1999. I guess when you own a junkyard a lot of things are still kinda junk.

24. In the old days, pick a junkyard, any junkyard, and there was always a bunch of 57 Chrysler New Yorkers with 392 hemi's that we used in the race cars.

$50.00 to $100.00 each.....

$2000.00 to $3000.00 now, if you can find one.....

How times have changed.....

25. Mike Rotch

Mike Rotch
    from Easley SC

The ground of the local scrap yard was once littered with hundreds of new looking heim joints of all sizes. I grabbed about a half a dozen, figured it wasn't stealing since that weight was just deducted from the load I brought in?

26. rusty28a

rusty28a

Coolest thing I ever found at a junkyard is the counterman who says, "just go ahead and take it. I know you will make it up to us next time"!

27. CARtoons Magazine

CARtoons Magazine
    from Canada

I live in the country and our township has our own garbage dump instead of the cities. I check the scrap pile everytime I go. Found a vintage doll carriage, "the ball" BBQ ( remember those?), a 48 electrolux, a record collection, deep dish chrome reverse rims and some redline hotwheels. Next garbage day is Saturday!

28. '32 Studebaker Rockne 4-door. Why cool? I found it in a you-pick yard in August of this year.

29. carlisle1926

carlisle1926

30. radi1138

radi1138

set of C8OE-N heads 428 cj and scj new valves ready to go 10 cents a pound