Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Southwest Nostalgia Drags / Speedworld 50th Anniversary

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mark Yac, Jan 14, 2011.

1. This is the official , latest, and LAST date change!

(Due to other events in the area in March, we've decided to hold this event on Saturday, March 5th and Sunday, March 6th )

This is going to be one very special weekend party that you don't want to miss...

NHRA's Heritage series, (Fuelers, Top Gas, Gassers, etc)

Western Fuel Altereds,

Flatheads and Inliners racing for big bucks,

Trophy classes,

Hot Rod I and II money brackets,

Stock and Super Stock Eliminator,

A/FX Shootout

Car Show with People's Choice awards

Vendors,

Memorabilia displays,

Music,

Mini Bike Drags,

1/8 mi Flag Drop Drags

Lifetime Achievement awards,

Two full days of excitement,

Over night camping allowed,

Saturday night time trials and grudge racing,

Much more to come....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b16U0ckS6ek

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsW1N1rDy5Q&feature=channel_page

[​IMG]

Now, who's in?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
  2. spikeshotrods

spikeshotrods

BTT for the "Late Night Crew"

3. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Dang, two days. Note to self...sunscreen and a big hat.
    Should be a blast.

4. jerry

jerry

Maybe be there.

jerry

5. Mark, thanks for posting the flyer. Rich

6. Mike

Mike

Count me in!

7. slickhale

slickhale
    from Phoenix

thanks for the heads up

8. Tinman

Tinman
    from Orange, CA

Damn it! I think I'm out of town that weekend for work...

9. Announcer

Announcer

Just to clarify, Mark's excellent Southwest Nostalgia Drags & Car Show is on SUNDAY, March 6 - the entire weekend is Speedworld's 50th Anniversary event.
    You may race the NHRA Heritage Series on Sat & Sunday, or just the Southwest Nostalgia Drags on Sunday, or the AZ Quarter Milers Club Flathead & Inliner Shootout on Sunday (more on that later).
    There will be time only runs every day.
    More info to follow

Hal Sanguinetti
    AZ Quarter Milers
    Speedworld Dragstrip

10. Announcer

Announcer

Just to REALLY clarify things (LOL), Mark & Spike's excellent Southwest Nostalgia Drags & Car Show is on SUNDAY, March 6 - the entire weekend is Speedworld's 50th Anniversary event. All of the Soutwest Nostalgia racers are welcome to be there on Saturday to setup and make timed runs if desired; eliminations are on Sunday for them.

You may race the NHRA Heritage Series on Sat & Sunday, or just the Southwest Nostalgia Drags on Sunday, or the AZ Quarter Milers Club Flathead & Inliner Shootout on Sunday (more on that later).
    There will be time only runs every day.
    More info to follow

Hal Sanguinetti
    AZ Quarter Milers
    Speedworld Dragstrip

11. spikeshotrods

spikeshotrods

Welcome to the HAMB Hal,

What's the info on "AZ Quarter Milers"?

12. Here is the overall track flier for the entire weekend:

***Please note that the Southwest Drags classes will be run on Sunday,March 6th. There are classes to fit most anything , to be run on Saturday as well . We welcome our customers to come out and participate on Friday and Saturday also***

[​IMG]

13. spikeshotrods

spikeshotrods

Nick -Chip -
    I haven't heard from you two yet, are you going to make this one?.....Spike

14. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

You know I'm in!

15. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

16. spikeshotrods

spikeshotrods

Chip,
    I'm hearing some rumors about the Vintage Minibike Drags getting serious.

Ron Olmstead:
    "something about a nitro methane mix"?

Glenn Kramer:
    "his new motor has been seen at "Mark Yacavone's garage" (Stock / Super Stock racer & current record holder) for some valve and port work?

Jimmy Smith:
    Big Bad New Motor?

It should be interesting.......:D......Spike

My $ money $ will be on "Ron Olmstead"

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  17. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

Damn... I'm still on the lookout for a frame to jam this sweet ole Briggs I found into. These guys will be running 80% nitro before long it seems...

18. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I intend to be firmly bringing up the rear in "anchor" posistion!!! But Olmie has gotten very serious about his mini bike/ thermo nuclear device - that and his total wieght equalling one of my shoes, expect big things! Might have to think about some actual classes next go round to keep this deal fair... 'Course, i do still have a month to go or so...

19. DeanoAZ

DeanoAZ
    from Peoria, AZ

:DThanks for the info! Its on the calendar!:D

20. Mike

Mike

I don't know Chip, you might do allright if you keep using that special fuel mixture that includes socks and shoe laces.:D

21. Don't forget. Lots of cool racing on Friday and Saturday too, with the NHRA Heritage series , Western Fuel Altereds and the Inliners group.
    Maybe Hal and Rich can fill in some of the details...

So come on out early and stay through Sunday afternoon.

Free camping and over nighting right on the premises.

22. Hal ? Rich ? You out there? MIA?

23. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

'Course, the last person that road my mini with shoe laces and socks on was you!!! So how'd that go for ya!?!? I knew there was areason i cuffed my pants and hated socks...

24. Announcer

Announcer

No Mark, not missing in action, just going completely bonkers trying to connect all the dots LOL!

We've really got a great show lined up for y'all, including but not limited to....

1. The Southwest Nostalgia Drags & Car Show
    2. The opening round of the NHRA Heritage Nostalgia Series, groups 1 & 2
    3. The opening round for the Western Fuel Altereds - exciting all-supercharged, short-wheelbase Altereds racing Chicago-style, with at least one and possibly two runs on Saturday, then another all-run session on Sunday followed by their 2-car final! These guys are very exciting to watch!
    4. The Inliners International Flathead & Inliner Shootout, open to all cars powered by flathead o inline engines, including 4, 6 & 8 cylinders! This event is sponsored by Inliners International, the Arizona Quarter Milers, and Torco Racing Oils and features a $1200 cash purse, which may be one of the largest purses ever offered for these vehicles. NHRA safety rules apply, Bracket race with .5 full tree and breakout.

Spectators and participants will also be welcome to visit several other of our venues that will be operating that day, at no extra charge! There will be an off-road race at the far Southern end of the property, promoted by Whiplash Motorsports; motocross practice, paintball, R/C airplanes and possibly R/C cars as well. Speedworld Raceway Park is Arizona's largest multi-use motosports venue, and we're happy to be presenting this extravaganza for all of you.

If you have any questions about the event, check our special event hotline (starting tomorrow/Thursday Feb 10) at 623-546-1605. This is baseball Spring Training time of year, so if you need rooms, check our website and tell them you're there for a Speedworld event (to get you the best possible price). There are hotels/motels as close as 6 miles down the road. I believe the best deals right now are in Wickenberg, 20 minutes North of the track on Grand Ave/Hiway 60. Again, be sure to ask for the Speedworld race.

Looking forward to seeing many old friends and making lots of new ones!

Hal Sanguinetti
    Speedworld Raceway Park
    AZ Quarter Milers

Attached Files:

25. marks73turbota

marks73turbota

I'm building a '63 Pontiac Gasser/streetfreak. I'll be there for the event but the '63 will not be ready. Could trailer it in and put it in the show area uncompleted. Would that be a problem if it's not running?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mark L

26. spikeshotrods

spikeshotrods

No Problem at all,
    Mark and I have both beem watching your build, we would love to see it in the show. Just drop it off close to the show area and we'll push it in and make sure you get help to load it too......Spike

27. marks73turbota

marks73turbota

Loading is easy with a winch. Thank you guys. My build is rather crude so I hope I don't get too much flack for workmanship. Hopefully by then it will be much farther along. Watched your Chevy at Speedworld several times. Love it. Nice idea using an Olds. Mark L

28. Hey Mark & Spike,
    been bouncing back and forth from several forums should have a good turnout( fingers crossed) for the Flathead/Inliner folks. Looking forward to this one!Some new cars possibly comin that haven't been to the past races.

29. Mark, if ya need some more help pushin it around just give a holler and I'll be glad to help. Rich

30. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

I'm gonna toss my new six inch wheels in the mix too. I do believe my machine will have the worst HP to Fat Ass ratio in the history of racing, mini bikes or otherwise.