Register now to get rid of these ads!

Soda blasting results .......

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gmgrunt, Feb 9, 2011.

1. gmgrunt

gmgrunt

2. allengator

allengator
    from Keller, TX

Actually... that looks like what I would expect.
    Soda just isnt that aggressive... which means it isnt as dangerous to the panels... But you cant expect SAND blasting results...

3. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Soda will not remove rust, its too soft.

4. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Looks like he could have used something a little more aggressive and gotten it right down to bare metal. I'm no expert but I wouldn't be satisfied with that job as it looks like there is still oxidation on the surface.

Frank

5. 100% Matt

100% Matt

Typically glass or walnut shells are used to remove rust not powder

6. Aaron51chevy

Aaron51chevy

Geeze so what IS the point of soda blasting, if you have to go back and still sand the whole car down? GMGrunt coulda done that to begin with and saved the money of the blasting....

7. 26 roadster

26 roadster

looks like it's been soda blasted.
    point is its easy to clean up, more well suited to carbs and non ferrous metals

8. ArchangelKustom

ArchangelKustom
    from NR/OH

What did it look like when you started?

Soda won't take off rust, but it almost looks like the car was exposed to humidity and the bare metal 'flash rusted'. You've got to get primer on it quick to prevent that.

You might be able to make up a naval jelly solution and wash the body down with it, using a scotchbrite pad to scrub. When done right it leaves a really nice shiny metal finish, and will kill off surface rust.

9. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Looks like someone painted over the metal in that condition. Looks like it's ready for the DA sander and some Evapo rust. Be happy that the paint isn't still on there to gum up sheet after sheet of expensive sandpaper.

10. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

11. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Whomever did the blasting should know what the desired results should be. Blaming it on the media used just doesnt cut it, my blaster guy used soda on mine and some other media on the rusty areas im not sure what he used but there was no surface rust on the car anywhere it cost just under $500 for this job
    EDIT: I forgot to add the price included a gallon of neutralizing agent. to wash it down with.
    [​IMG]

12. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

the point is its safe to remove most light/medium duty stuff while being gentle enough to work around glass and chrome/stainless when needed.

i soda blast often and i also sand blast, knowing what tool to bring to the job is 98% of it.

in my opinion you either didnt know the results you would get or you expected a pace car to run the full indy 500 and keep up with the pack

13. 383 240z

383 240z

Looks like most of the stuff I sent out for soda, I cant get the stuff to cut any real rust, its just to soft but it wont hurt anything, I did most of my 40 in soda and got the DA and the spot blaster out and went to town on it. Keith

14. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

The car now looks like a perfect canidate for POR-15!

15. Streetwerkz

Streetwerkz

Soda sucks, we use only aluminum oxide.
    used correctly it will not warp sheet metal & removes all contaminates paint, rust, bondo, etc

Attached Files:

16. gmgrunt

gmgrunt

So tell me what do you do with the discolored areas ? I was told to hot water wash,dry, scuff with some 120 and prime. But it doesn't seem like I should be priming over the discolored areas, I mean what is it if it isnt rust? I guess I should have picked aluminum oxide rather than soda to begin with.

17. HighSpeed LowDrag

HighSpeed LowDrag
    from Houston

You didn't state how much you paid but I think for soda blasting, it looks like I would expect. Soda doesn't get into the pits like other types of media.

18. gmgrunt

gmgrunt

19. HighSpeed LowDrag

HighSpeed LowDrag
    from Houston

You've got a valid point.

The guy should have called you after doing a panel or two and had you come down to look at it. When I had a shop, that's what my guy did. At that point, it's on you as to continue or change media.

20. F&J

F&J

21. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

I guess it all depends on what you contracted for in the first place. If you went in and told him that you wanted the paint removed, then you got it. I think that the job is exactly what you would expect for soda blasting...no paint and no panel distortion. Without knowing what you told him to do it's hard to fault the guy or the process. I'm a body and paint guy so I guess I am looking at this a bit differently...I'd be very happy to get a body in this condition to begin work on. It's much easier to go over that body with some rust remover and a stiff brush followed by a DA with some 120 than it would be to straighten out panels that were warped by a gorilla with a industrial sandblaster.

22. ntxcustoms

ntxcustoms
    from dfw

Soda blasting was made for stone and masonry work not for cars. Soda cleans by exploding on the surface it strikes and knocks off anything on the surface, it will not remove rust. It also leaves a caustic residue that must be neutralized completely or you run the risk of paint delamination. For that reason alone we will not paint over any soda blasted metal. We blast in house and use a crushed garnet that is almost a dust. Couple the fine size with low pressure (say 50 to 60psi) add an experianced operator and there will be no distortion.

I wish people would stop using soda, and I think with due time they will. It was great for the Statue of Liberty but not for our cars.

23. sp1ke

sp1ke

That is the way i did mine and i thought it was great.have pictures but know how to get them on here but will be traveling coast to coast in it next summer i hope

sp1ke

24. Look at the bright side-at least he didn't warp it

25. 55chevr

55chevr

Soda blasting is for removing paint ... I used it on the race bike frame ... most times it used when the glass is left in the car as it not supposed to etch glass ... too soft to remove rust ... nice part is that water will clean it up from the driveway.

26. chico'72

chico'72
    from Belgium

It looks like it is blasted and left like that for a day or two.
    I sandblasted my hudson(took me two days) the second day there where some spots that i did the first day that looks like surface rust...
    blast it and pait it soon as possible!!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
  27. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

soda blasting ain't for me. I use a fine white sand , works great.

28. Master of None

Master of None

It looks like it did what soda is there to do, remove paint. I've had 2 cars now soda blasted and they all show where the rust and bondo was. Its kinda like cheating on the body work.I would do another in a heartbeat. It tells right where the problem is. What your car is showing is the cause for the bad paint that was on it. The surface prep wasn't good, so the paint didn't look good. Paint and body is a patient man's game, if it was easy everyone would do it.

29. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

Soda does NOT tough Rust. period. So it looks like it should IMO. now if you specified to him you wanted it CLEAN, then you have a right to bitch, if not, you should have been more specific.

30. Dakota Boy

Dakota Boy
    from Racine, WI

not to highjack the thread here, but what would be best for removing paint from a motocross engine? i dont want to take the motor apart; just block off the intake, exhaust, shifter and kicker oil seal areas. Lower end is aluminum. cylinder is finned cast iron. Not a speck of rust. Just needs refurbishing....so it looks nice with the freshly-powdercoated frame....