Register now to get rid of these ads!

Getting a title

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kunisch, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Kunisch

Kunisch
    from Dallas

I'm buying a 62 tbird off my boss. It was abandoned over a year ago. How much of a pain in the ass is it to get a title?

2. Razorshotrods

Razorshotrods
    from Phoenix

got to the Dmv. In AZ you file for an abandoned title, they inspect it and thats it.

3. big M

big M

Your boss should be able to do a mechanics lien on the car, in order to clear the paperwork, depending on the laws in Texas. I would check with the DMV there to see where to go next.

---John

4. Unless its stolen. :eek:

Abandoned a lot of the time means stolen. Before you do anything about titling it run the numbers.

5. Throttlehead250

Throttlehead250
    from Houston TX

ya i would definetly run the numbers past the DMV, if its not stolen im pretty sure you apply for the title and if i remeber correctly theres a waiting period before you acutally get the title.

as far as the mechanics lein, i dont know that could work. just do some google work, im sure its covered somewhere eles on the internet

6. joe_padavano

joe_padavano

7. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

In Texas there are different ways to skin that cat but most of the DMVs are too ignorant or lazy to know much about it and will give you a lot of run around. When I lived in East Texas we would do different things in different towns. For instance it was much easier for me to get a driver a CDL in Canton than it was in Tyler. But Tyler was much easier to get a builder titled.

8. 62rebel

62rebel

well; don't hand over any money until you know it's clear.

what's the other one again... oh. "you can't get one, ever. i'll drop by with a rollback and take that junker off your hands for free."

best luck with your bird.

9. tr1965

tr1965

Thanks for that link to SEMA Joe Padavano. I am trying to get a title for a 37 ford pickup i built from a lot of different parts. From what I found on there it should be a lot easier!

10. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

I just checked the sema site for S.D. and the information provided doesn't cover a scratch built rod using a found body, only cars which already have a title. They have a procedure called an affidavit, explained to me by the local DMV.

11. ty1295

ty1295
    from Indiana

If you click on Indiana you get Illinois information. Not sure I can trust that. LOL

12. joe_padavano

joe_padavano

Illinois - Indiana - Idaho... what's the diff? :D

Seriously, it's not hard to mix up the links in HTML. You might want to shoot them an email to fix the mistake.