Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Historic Stock Car Photos

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by indybigjohn, Aug 28, 2008.

1. tallzag

tallzag

This is Cotton Owens Dodge, Pierson driving, unknown race. Got this from a collection of the son of a Dodge Grand National guy. He would take the photos at the race and then Chrysler would develop them. He would get all the photos later and they are very professionally done. All the pictures have a Chrysler inventory number on the back.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  2. Thought a couple of these shots deserved a little sprucing up, especially since it's a couple of cool old Chargers. Just couldn't figure out a quick way to get rid of that chain link fence in the first picture.:rolleyes:

View attachment 1227489

View attachment 1227490

3. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

Thanks for those improvements, Claymart..........big difference. I couldn't figure out a way to eliminate the chain link fence either. I never knew whether or not the track would open access to the pits after the race. Sometimes they waited so long that the cars would already be trailered and covered. I figured catching a shot of the cars through the fence was better than not getting them at all. Luckily that night they did open access in time for me to get a few shots.

4. ARCA Guy

ARCA Guy

[​IMG][​IMG]

Here are a couple of Taylor at Daytona.

5. tallzag

tallzag

Do you know what year the first picture was taken? Been trying to find a picture of that car for a while, been trying to figure out if perhaps it is the K&K Insurance chassis I own but looks like it is not from that picture. The fuel filler looks right (super high and up the 1/4 panel) but my car had 73-74 1/4's when it was running ARCA in 1974. Guess it could have been rebodied but can't see anybody putting 71-72 quarters on the car after they were changed to 73-74 style. Hmmm... If anyone knows more about either of these cars please let me know.

The second picture looks to be K&K colors but they didn't use a filler in that location until at least 76.

Thanks for posting!

6. groundpounder

groundpounder
    Member Emeritus

got anymore of the "Corners"..........btt

7. groundpounder

groundpounder
    Member Emeritus

...various Alan Kulwicki pics.
    Attached Thumbnails

Hey the big guy on the thunderbird is Bill Behling......Parts warehouse and ol time USAC racer.....This guy has helped many racers in the Wi. area....and beyond!

8. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

9. ARCA Guy

ARCA Guy

Let me look back in photo book for the years of the Taylor dodges.

10. toml24

toml24

These are great photos. I think the Jack McCoy red Charger photo might have been taken at Orange Show Speedway as the ground in the photo is pavement and Ascot was dirt.

11. lm08

lm08

this is great no matter where or when all the pics where taken. just joined today so this is my first try at this. if it works here is a pic of clearfield speedway in mid 80s[​IMG] View attachment 1231017

12. hemiman_1999

hemiman_1999

Here are some old photos I bought from a guy years ago this is Tim Flock at the 1959 Daytona 500 in Practice I understand the car got Pepsi Sponsorship for the race so that name was added to the car at that time.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Hot Rod Elvis

Hot Rod Elvis

I have never seen these before! Thanks alot for sharing!

14. jrose7004

jrose7004

I just don't recall seeing that many T-Birds in NASCAR race trim!

15. cheap-n-dirty

cheap-n-dirty

here are pictures from 1954 (chrysler in front of swing club on haley street in santa barbara, ca) and 34 ford in 1956, (track champion at carpenderia thunder bowl), of my dad, Robert Mc Farland and Lee Hamock.

16. Dog427435

Dog427435

17. vegas_oldtimer

vegas_oldtimer

Recent "Legend" losses....

Recently two local Ohio legendary auto racing icons have passed away. Everyone knew these two guys - Chick Hale and Bobby Korn. (Legendary driver, legendary car builder). The racing community is poorer with their loss. Attached are a couple of photos - Chick Hale driving his dirt car on the asphalt high banks of Dayton Speedway and Dick Freeman driving Bob Korn's Torino, also on Dayton's high banks.

For some very good articles / information on these two giants, go to the Dayton Speedway Lives! web page.

They will both be missed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. hemiman_1999

hemiman_1999

A lot of the 58-59 Tbirds ran here some more pics I have I didn't take any of these and there were a lot more Tbirds that Ran
    [​IMG]
    These two are Johnny Beauchamp in the 73 and Lee Petty in the 42, Beauchamp was declared the first Daytona 500 winner but several days later NASCAR gave it to Petty in 1961 they hooked together and went out of the track ending Lee Petty's career at that time Petty was in a Plymouth and Beauchamp a Chevy..
    [​IMG]
    Banjo Mathews
    [​IMG]
    Joe Weatherly I think
    [​IMG]
    Tiger Tom Pistone
    [​IMG]

19. hemiman_1999

hemiman_1999

Cool Pics Dog here are some from the same race that I found in color
    I have always wondered what the writing was on the Quarter of Lees car..Thanks for posting them..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Sparks75

Sparks75
    from Troy, Ohio

With the loss of Chick Hale & Bobby Korn puts a large void in racing history for our area. They both had been involved in racing for so many years, probably well over 100 years between them, that the history can not be replaced. Nice photos of both competing at Dayton. The Dayton Auto Race Fans Club has plans of making their February Membership Meeting a "Tribute to Chick Hale Night", but I'm sure a lot of Bobby Korn stories will be told also. If you are in the area of Dayton, Ohio on Tuesday February 22nd, make plans to attend the meeting @ 7:00 pm, it is open to the public. More information can be found @ www.darfnews.com.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  21. Dog427435

Dog427435

Those shots are mine also - I could only afford 1 roll of color film!:)

22. lm08

lm08

1975 daytona permatex 300

23. bushy

bushy
    from ohio

Is case you don,t know ohio/pa. Late model star tony diano from canton,ohio passed away 2 weeks ago. Rip tony

24. copley62

copley62

25. copley62

copley62

26. 9310alloy

9310alloy

Neat Photos.....430 cu. in. Square Birds....Quality kool photos.

27. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Copley, I probably was.

28. copley62

copley62

29. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Yeah, Copley, I do. I used to love working from the track. That's the way my idol, Bill Vandewater, worked. On Facebook the other day somebody said I was either a flagman who thought he was a matador or a matador who thought he was a flagman. That's Andy Vertrees taking the checker. I was probably giving the cars a little more room that day because of the water.

30. dirt11353

dirt11353

in 1980 i would have been 13 yrs old i never missed a race the last 2 yrs the fairgrounds was open. i was always scared of the big bearded nut that flagged the races he had to be nuts to stand out there on the track. sure do miss those days.
    has anyone heard whats going on at charlestowns old track heard there moving dirt there maybe the motorcycle track is going to go away and we will get a place around here to race dirt cars again