Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs My Ford 51 Top Chop From Argentina

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Path Thirteen, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Im gonna check, I whould like to work there in the usa someday...

Thank you for your comment !

2. Hi Outback how are you, thats the way that we do it here, theres a lot of ways, but we dont have much resources as parts and sheetmetal spare parts, and yes, this gonna be the first leadsled in argentina, people here dont build 50's cars, or they build like a hot rod or a street rod, not much leadsled culture here in argentina, but well... lets see if i can change some minds !!

Thank you for your words !

3. Well im off vacations, finished some job that i had on the shop, so i have 15 days straight to work on the shoebox, this is what we did since the monday 1/31
    Lot of work and lot of rust, patches over the rotted floors, lot of tar everywere, just as usual on this car, so what the heck, lets cut it up !

Im preparing the car to weld the new rocker panels and inner rocker panels, the new floor patches and to alight all the body becouse it had a wreck and the body mounts on the chasis were gone, so we have to redo almost all and align all to finish shaping the top and do the doors, lot of work but well, the damage is done !

Start Cutting the rocker panels, that was pure crap and rust
    [​IMG]
    This is a closer loot of what was on the car, lot of layers of rocker panels repairs, over the rusted and rotted parts, of course the body mounts are rotted too!
    [​IMG]
    removing cancer
    [​IMG]
    Sectioned ? nahhh without rocker panels!
    [​IMG]
    good bye body!
    [​IMG]
    Floating!
    [​IMG]
    Just bolt the seat and drive it!
    [​IMG]
    A nice picture of the shop
    [​IMG]

4. Cleaning the engine, of course the frame was full of tar !
    [​IMG]
    More cleaning and 60 years of dirt removal
    [​IMG]
    Well, inside the frame rails was a lot of SEED, NUTS, ROPE and lot of trash... i think my car was the house a of a lot of rats ! haha Sorry for the crapy pic
    [​IMG]
    Cutted the rotted floors too and under the floor was... TAR
    [​IMG]
    Half floor cleaned
    [​IMG]
    WHEELSTAND! haha
    [​IMG]
    Hope this gonna be the riding height when bags installed
    [​IMG]
    5 Of this 20 Litres buckets came out of the floor and chasis tar... now im ready for bonneville, without all that extra weight i can run 200 MPH now hahahahaa
    [​IMG]

5. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Path I respect your determination to stick with this project, especially given the rust bucket you started out with. Those pictures of the rusted and patched areas are pretty scary. Looking forward to more progress pictures.
    Eli

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  6. Almost Finishing the rear part of the floors! hard work, my neck hursts like hell haha
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the rocker panels, and the inner rocker panels made out of 1.2 mm sheetmetal
    [​IMG]
    Have to cut more floor becouse it was a mess to align the body, all was welded with the body not alighned so the rocker panels didnt match the floors, sooooooooo lets cut more haha
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now its time to align the body, becouse it was laid over the frame and the body mounts gone a long time ago, plus the car had a wreck in the past and everything is cracked and twisted
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It still hangin there, i have to keep the job on monday
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for watching my restoring/redoing/healingcancer/chop/custom thread hahaha !! have a good weekend!

7. Hi Eli ! thanks for the comment.
    I know this car for you guys in the US is a parts car, or just something to let rot in the woods, its a 4 door, its ugly and its a piece of rust. But here in argentina its different, its hard to find American cars, and all are in the shape that this shoebox was, i knew what im gonna find under the floor mat, but its the only way to do it here, here a good runing shoebox if you can find it, can cost about 10.000 USS thats crazy, its a lot of money here, i paid for mine 1500 USS and this is what you got for a cheap one, but its more interesting i think, its a lot of work, but what the hell, im saving a car for a sure death and im making him the cooles shoebox in argentina !! haha
    I have to think about this with a smile or i just have to light the welder, cut it in 4 pieces, take it to the trash and keep driving my good ol' falcon !!

Hhahaah see yaaa have a good weekend !

8. arlo

arlo

9. hitman912

hitman912
    BANNED

Talk about bringing something back from the dead.

10. Orn

Orn

After reading this whole thread all I can say is wow, you really put some hard work in to your “tar sled” project. This kind of stories is what I like so much about the H.A.M.B. Very cool. Keep up the good work.

11. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

So let me get this straight...
    Your on the other side of the world. You live in a country that has no "custom car" culture to speak of. Other than your hands and your tallent, you have no modern tools. And basically all you have to guide you is what you've seen on the internet...

And under those conditions, you have managed to piece together [literally] a very cool car.

Respect, my friend. I'll be watching this one.

12. 65chevyc20

65chevyc20

Wow great job man.youve got balls takin on that job.
    Keep it up

Tim

13. chevyben

chevyben
    from washington

This is the real old school deal! Nice.

14. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You just described our '51 Chevy! Welcome to the Rust Bucket Restoration Club. Yes, there are some of us in the U.S. tackling this shit. But there are a boatload of Canadians working with rusty POS's. Great work, man, good progress!

15. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Forgot to ask you . . . where did your outer rockers come from? Or did ya'll make them?

16. koolkemp

koolkemp

I have been following your build from the start , all I can say is great job! When you want something bad enough you will find a way to get it done !

17. Thanks for your comment, its god to see that other people enjoy this build too !! TAR SLED RULES !

Good luck

18. Hellos there ! hahah yeah we are in a country with almos no custom culture, a little bit of hot rod, but basicale 80's and 90's hot rod, pure shit !
    Me and a group of young people are starting the fire of the custom kulture movement, and yes we do have moder tools but we like to do it the old school way, im doing this with my uncle he is an old school guy, and he is teaching me all his magic !!

Thanks for your comment, keep tuned !

19. Hi Tim!! thank you !

20. Hell yeah ! the only way to go !

21. Rust Bucket Restoration Club... that sound good for a thread of people that is working on shit bucket like uss !!

hahaha

Thanks for the comment, The Rocker panels are... belive or not... from a FALCON hahaha cheap, and very accurate for the form of the shoebox, they are a little short becouse of the wheelbase but its cheap (20USS) and you can find it everywere, the ones for the shoebox here doesnt exists !

Hope it help you !

Bye bye

Path

22. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

Wow, like my friend Chris, said...represent. Bad Ass. Slim

23. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

I'm so very impressed with your talent and what you are doing with by our standards would be caveman tools.. I can't wait to see the finished product. Good job and keep us posted.

24. banditomerc

banditomerc

Hey Path,your doing good work.What did you decide to do with the rear flow of the roof/

25. Hahaha, thanks !!!

Thank you, im glad you like this build, its a hard hard work, but im glad to do this ! I CANT WAIT TOO TO GET IT FINISHED AND DRIVE IT !!!

Hello !! now we are doing all the alingnments for the body, doing the new floors and the rocker panels, yesterday we shaved the driprails so now we gonna have to work a little bit more in the roof, but we need to finish shaping the roof and then see if it flows nice or we have to modify the shape, but i think is gonna look good, the top of the roof must be raised and then start the "downhill" to meet the glass ! well... we will see !!

Thanks for the comments to all !!

26. banditomerc:

Wy the way, im not sissy anymore !! hahahaa

27. I have one of the rocker panels welded on the car, tomorrow im gonna upload more pictures !! see yaa boys !

28. jangleguy

jangleguy

29. Well im here again with an update of the shitbox !

Time to work on the structural pieces of the car, The rocker panels

We gonna use Falcon's rocker panels, becouse they are cheap, and easy to get here in argentina (falcon's were built since 1962 to 1991, and all the years used the same rocker panels, and almost everything, this is a real ONE FITS ALL hahah fucking stupid country, anyways, falcons here looked like the ones you know before 1969, then, was pure crap !! ugly restylings over restylings)
    Inner rocker panels
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Test fit
    [​IMG]
    The rocker panels were too short becouse of the falcon wheelbase is different that the shoebox... so we have to turn this nice sheetmetal piece
    [​IMG]
    Into this: in 3 easy steps
    [​IMG]
    step 1:
    Blend here
    [​IMG]
    Step 2:
    A little more here
    [​IMG]
    Step 3
    TADAAAAA!!!!!!
    [​IMG]
    Step 3:
    Weld to fit: no drillin or adjustments needed (im jocking) hahah
    [​IMG]

Im uploading more pictures later, i have to see what happend to my falcon, have no battery... be back later and keep posting pictures !!