Register now to get rid of these ads!

Thoughts on 2x2 or 3x3 vintage looking SBFs?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by EchoOfGecko, Feb 7, 2011.

1. EchoOfGecko

EchoOfGecko

All,

I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do for a power plant to replace the 223 in my Ford. I'm probably going to run a 351W or 302, but I'd really like to stay away from a 4bbl or Rochester carbs if I can and go for 3 bolt 3x2 or 2x2s for a more vintage look.

Unfortunately, no one makes a 3 bolt carb 3x2 or 2x2 intake for these engines, so more than likely I'll try and use an adapter. So far, I'm thinking of 2 Stromberg 48s non-progressive on a Vintage Speed type 4bbl adapter.

I'm not too concerned about making big power, so would two Stromberg 48s be enough for a stock 351W, maybe with a Thumpr cam? I think they probably flow more than a single 2bbl Rochester, so I'm guessing it would be fine and maybe get OK economy. I'd love to run 3, but I'm not sure if a 3x2 4bbl adapter would clear the distributor on a SBF, maybe I'm wrong?

Anyone have any experience with these set-ups? Anyone have any photos? Suggestions?

Thanks!

2. LabRat

LabRat

This setup is 63Compacts , New top on a injection manifold done here in Oz ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. LabRat

LabRat

Another shot ...

[​IMG]

4. I'm running a vintage speed 2x2 on my 302 and it runs okay. It is carb-limited though. One more carb would give better wide open throttle for those long enterance ramps to the freeway.

I think the 3 card version is kind of goofy looking. I think there's an Ausi company making 3x2s for SBFs. I also just saw a chrome, 2x4 crossram with carbs at a swapmeet yesterday here in AZ for 900. I could probably dig the guy's number up.

Sorry I don't have a better pic right now.

Attached Files:

5. Falconred

Falconred

You might try using a 3x2 intake made for holleys and three adaptors although these manifolds are usually expensive. You might also look at the new stuff from Barry Grant.

http://www.holmanmoody.com/

http://www.barrygrant.com/

http://www.bluethunderauto.com/

Hope these help.

Speedway motors has a lot of adaptors and such they also have edelbrock 2x4 intakes for both 302 and 351w.
    http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Stree...|2/7/2011 6:08:56 PM=edelbrock&first_answer=1

I'm slow I guess, by the time I had posted the posts above were in. The Aussie stuff looks cool and would be different around the US. I wonder what else they have in OZ that we don't have here??

6. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

Find a dual quad intake and make an adaptor for 3x2 or 4x2. Three inch aluminum plate and find a machinist.
    Duane..

7. EchoOfGecko

EchoOfGecko

This looks awesome, any more info on the manifold or top by chance?

8. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

here is my 3-2 set up

Attached Files:

9. EchoOfGecko

EchoOfGecko

Bump, any other cool SBF multi-carb set-ups?

I think my best option at this point will be the 3x2 Rochester manifold with some adapters.

10. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

You arent really asking for opinions, but I say stay away from three bolt carbs for this. Trust me, I love 94's and kinda like 97's. But the small ford is a 60's motor and backdating the intake would be kinda weird. It would be cool to see a neat three carb with some newer 2 barrels or even a "period" dual quad thats really clean with some carters or something. Plus it'll get up and go soooo much better. I love the 4 94's on my Caddy but they're not exactly line launch material:)

11. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Imagine Jalopy jims setup with the intake polished and the carb bases color matched to your car...pretty nifty..

12. MERC 55

MERC 55

PONY carbs makes a nice 3 x 2 setup for 289 or 302 using autolite 2 bbls. You will need adapter flanges to use it on a 351.

13. toxictom

toxictom

mine..2x94 on 302...

Attached Files:

14. EchoOfGecko

EchoOfGecko

I'm cool with any opinions I can get! :) I'm wanting to do the 3-bolts just for looks, but I'm kindof a newb when it comes to carbs in general, let alone the minutia that surrounds all of the possible options, so I'm certainly open to any and every opinion I can get from the guys that have actually done it. :p

My other thought is that I might just give up on the 3x2s for now, just do the engine swap and get it running and use it for a while with a 4bbl and then see about swapping to a multi-carb set-up down the road.

15. EchoOfGecko

EchoOfGecko

What kind of intake are you running? How to the two 94s perform on your 302? I assume you are running them in a non-progressive set-up?

16. EchoOfGecko

EchoOfGecko

17. ratfink44

ratfink44
    from missouri

can i please get more info on this?

18. SimonSez

SimonSez

19. earlyfalc

earlyfalc

Hi just wondering if you know where in oz? I'm also interested thanks james