Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cowhide upholstry

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jt7282, Feb 6, 2011.

1. Zombie Duck

Zombie Duck

I'm sorry, I kept thinking of this car the whole time I was reading this thread.:D

[​IMG]

2. jt7282

jt7282
    from Midland Tx

I should've clarified, I've recently changed companies and no longer design/spec prestressed concrete structures. I still have alot of connections in the tyson plant though. Feedlots are a terrible place, and it was a shock everytime I drove into the plants, but sadly you acclimate quickly.

I am originally from Dallas and came out her for college and the smell of the cow towns used to slam into my dorm on rainy nights...Everyone says "that's the smell of money" well thank god my money doean't smell like sh!t otherwise I'd have to tip strippers twice as much.

3. jt7282

jt7282
    from Midland Tx

well I am going forward with the cowhides. I called in a favor from the tannery and should be getting three hides fresh out of the oven. Will update as soon as I get some good news

4. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

Bitchin! Taking one for the team!

5. There was a caddy woody station wagon I saw for sale online....the ad said it was factory one-off....it was awesome and had cow hide interior. Must have been built for some big time rancher or oil tycoon from Texas. I'm thinking I saw it at Collectorcartraderonline.com I think it'd be cool! Especially since you're in Amarillo. Check the cd cover of Kid Rock's last cd...you'll probably dig that caddy too.

6. jt7282

jt7282
    from Midland Tx

[​IMG]

That is not a cadillac, it's a 64 pontiac bonneville. It was customized when it was new by Nudie Cohen, Rodeo Tailor to the Stars. Nudie is famous for making all the rhinestone western shirts for Roy Rogers, Dale Evans, Gene Autry, Porter Wagoner etc all through the 50's, 60's and 70's. He also made Elvis' gold lame jumpsuit. It was originally owned by Hank Jr.s Mom Audry Williams. Nudie Cohen customized 18 of these but only 9 are know to exist today. Most are Pontiac convertibles but he also did one Cadillac and one Pontiac station wagon. He struck a deal with a Pontiac dealership and would fully trick out each car replacing the interior with tooled leather or hand embroidery and silver dollars. This car has over 350 silver dollars on it. He put on guns and chrome horse statues all over them and generally added a 2-3 foot long rear deck. Other cars were owned by Roy Rogers, Webb Pierce, Buck Owens (2) and Jamie Nudie (2 his granddaugher). It is my understanding that KR DOES own this one. It sold at RM auctions earlier this year. The Roy Rogers car also sold at Christies in July and I recently bought one of the Buck Owens cars which is a '71 Pontiac Grandville

found this pic online, it has cowhide rugs! from the dash it looks like a 52
    [​IMG]

this is the cadillac done by Nudie Cohn
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That's WAY over the top for me, but you have to admire the workmanship

7. lol! well excuuuuuuuse me lol I saw a special on tv about that guy once.....way over the top. I can appreciate it...but I'd rather have a fat lucky interior!

8. jt7282

jt7282
    from Midland Tx

lmao sorry if it sounded like a hillbilly lecture :D my dad want me to make my 52 convertible look just like Hank's. Mine is a factory blue so it wouldn't take too much, the point is I grew up watching Nudie's cars first I saw of that cadillac was in an old 1978 Guiness book of world records book when I was a kid.

9. Nothing like seeing the smell come rolling in...ahh, now I'm home sick...:D

10. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Man wish I could find a deal like that my 62 didnt even come with a motor! Souds like its in safe hands, Good luck I hope to see it in person sometime, Roundup maybe?

11. How much are tanned hides (cow, not human) going for nowadays?

You can PM me if you don't want to advertise it to the world.

12. roughneck424

roughneck424

13. skipstitch

skipstitch

Prices vary on leather... they are priced by the square foot. Average cow hides run approx. 50 square feet. I've seen them anywhere from $2.95 per square to $10-12 per square depending on the quality.... so, from $150 and up per hide. Most of the cheaper stuff will be spray dyed... (tan on the back and painted whatever color you need on the front). The better stuff is vat dyed for color clear through the hide... The sprayed stuff is what you usually see that cracks really bad over time.

For what its worth, you can figure on about 3 yards of usable material from most hides. Hope that helps, Stitch

14. allengator

allengator
    from Keller, TX

I like it... and just tell people you have a new "leather" interior....

15. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Bud, I was just being my wise-acre, sarcastic self posting the Pacer info. I had a friend who bought a new Pacer Cowhide version (instead of the equally corny Levis interior they also offered that year) BECAUSE it was so tacky. No one but his girl friend would ride in his new car because of that stupid interior! Gary

16. Abomination

Abomination

That's my cousin Dave's Cadillac.

I saw the hide seats when it was newly done, and have always wondered how they've held up.

~Jason

17. So what's a 'tard in Maryland supposed to do? Cover his seats with "Blue crab" shells?

(P.S. In Mexico, they just call them "blankets"!)

18. Throttlehead250

Throttlehead250
    from Houston TX

19. jt7282

jt7282
    from Midland Tx

Yeah , nudie was a master of saddles and leather artistry.

On another note, I have your website saved in my favorites. When I first started striping I would try to mimic your design's, even did my oakley gascans like ones on your page

20. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

For some reason I'm reminded of that Looney Tunes cartoon where the Texan Oilman pulls up in his limo. You see the front passing through the frame, then lots and lots of side windows, and then the Oilman in the back. He gives the order to stop via the intercom. Pan back through lots and lots of side windows, a telephone exchange with operator, and more side windows, to the driver. The driver stops, closes his door, opens the next door, takes out a minibike, and rides to the back to open the door for the Oilman. Anyone remember that one?

21. Terrible1g60

Terrible1g60

[​IMG]
    i know its not the interior but defanitly an interesting use of cow hid and its from texas.
    took the picture at a rumblers show in albuquerque

22. Definately need a Nudie suit if you do the 'hide

23. jt7282

jt7282
    from Midland Tx

Yeah Actually he's in amarillo, I love that car

24. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Don't know if I'd do that 'CATTLE-ACT'! yuk, yuk...

25. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

Lots of that stuff going around in the fashion world, cowgirl bling.

26. hellboy333

hellboy333
    from Amarillo

Yeah i know that guy that owns that car I was thinking of that car when I was reading your thread. Man im jealous on your car man. I really dig it. I have had some thought about my interior as well but not sure. Man cant wait to see it done. Oh yeah i like the vid.

27. jt7282

jt7282
    from Midland Tx

@hellboy as soon as it gets warmer I'll be at the cruise nights, and hooters shows. hope to meet you out there

28. hellboy333

hellboy333
    from Amarillo

right on man yeah are you going to lone star round up thats what im shooting for on having my truck done

29. jt7282

jt7282
    from Midland Tx

yes sir, I'll be taking my f100 most likely
    [​IMG]

30. hellboy333

hellboy333
    from Amarillo