Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cowhide upholstry

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jt7282, Feb 6, 2011.

1. jt7282

jt7282
    from Midland Tx

found this photo and I REALLY like the look
    [​IMG]
    was thinking of recovering my 1960 cadillac seats in mexican blankets but think that might be a bit overdone. Now I am thinking that this might be cool but was wanting some input and Maybe some pictures.

here's my caddilac, to give yall the full idea
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. newsomtravis

newsomtravis
    from pville, ca

do it up, be like boss hogg, or j.r. ewing....lol......have ya checked prices on those hides......my be spendy....good luck

3. newsomtravis

newsomtravis
    from pville, ca

and ya are from texas.....lol

4. HRod 50

HRod 50

Hey Dude, for that car, I freakin love it. Go for it.... Even if I didnt love it, it's your car.Do what you want... Good luck.. Loving your car is all that really matters...

5. jt7282

jt7282
    from Midland Tx

yeah I am from texas, Amarillo in fact. We supply 80% of the nations beef and I am an industrial engineer for three large slaughter houses that combined slaughter 14,000 cattle a day and run 6 days a week. Getting ahold of the skin isn't the issue but I was wanting to see if anyone else had done it, and how it turned out. I bought this car to drive the wheels off while I'm building my 52's. I am going to leave it rusted , but it only has 70k on the clock and the a/c still works :D

thanks for the thumbs up though

here is the video after I finished the air ride, I know it's not for everyone but I bought the car with bags and no springs, or tanks. So I finished the bag set up and have been cruising it like this.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCvJepXyA_M

6. mj40's

mj40's

I can see it now. Long steer horns on the hood and six shooters for door handles. :D

7. jt7282

jt7282
    from Midland Tx

Oh god no, the hoods too rusty anyway lol
    I'm not wanting to go completely boss hogg on this just something a little different

8. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can hear banjos!

9. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

It looks killer but I know the cheap mexican wallets I've gotten with cowhide the hair always rubbed off.

I'm not so sure about the durability, but what do I know.

Let us know what you find out! :)

10. jt7282

jt7282
    from Midland Tx

yeah, that is a concern of mine. I was afraid that seats would shed like a pet cat but then I thought I have seen some cowhide rugs and tapestries in offices and it seems to hold up. We'll see how it comes out, because I am really digging that couch.

Anyone have any pics?

11. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Isn`t it Fiddles in TEXAS.

12. jt7282

jt7282
    from Midland Tx

ahh hell... Fiddles are violins

13. newsomtravis

newsomtravis
    from pville, ca

gonna have to be the ginuea pig on this one, do it and post pics........let us know about the shedding.........only problem i would have.......

14. HRod 50

HRod 50

Hey Man, I'm not a builder but I've seen just about ever post on the HAMB, or close to all of them, and your car's bag set up is awesome. The front tires dont point at 45degrees, like a lot of the more expereineced guys on here who bag thier cars. Even die hards, find it hard to argue bagging a car.

Also just based on what you do for a livivng if you don't "re-skin" your interior with the cowhide I'll send Justin Beiber to sing at your next party. What I'm trying to say is, you are doing it right, in every aspect of the HAMB as far as I'm concerned. But I'm drunk after the superbowl so what do I know... ahahha... Awesome MAn, Shoot me a finished picture when it's all done..

HRod

15. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well I guess it beats digery-do's!!

My parents had a tanned cow hide that was used as a floor matt, that thing has been there for 30+ years and has not shed any of its hair. I guess it comes down to quality of the tanning?

Doc.

16. jamesgs4

jamesgs4
    from denver

Just seeing that pic makes my ass-crack and junk all sweaty. hope you have killer A/C!

17. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I was thinkin this had somthin simalar to it, Black and white. One of the Wolks from Kansas?

Attached Files:

18. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Stan, nice pic of Albert in your avatar......:)

19. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

People probally think I`m from Red Oak Texas. He`s BIGGER than you think.

Attached Files:

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your buds will probably give you a new nickname "Itchy". Damn and it isn't even April 1st yet.

21. jt7282

jt7282
    from Midland Tx

Not sure If I want the hair-on hide, I was just looking at the tan/white steer hide. shaved down or even sueded is fine with me

22. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Nice Caddy, you ever think about flipping the hide and using the suede side ? Then you wouldnt have to worry about it shedding. Thats too nice a car to leave rusty though, it deserves better, fix it right ! Looking good so far, keep us posted I wanna see how this turns out.

23. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

You might be too young to remember... AMC Pacers had a cow hide interior option. Yee Haw. These photos from a junk yard listing, the new ones were MUCH nicer. Gary

Attached Files:

• 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      26.8 KB
      Views:
    • 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      File size:
      33 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  24. jt7282

jt7282
    from Midland Tx

@gnichols: Too young thank god.

@Lone Star Mopar: I wasn't looking for another cadillac but I found this one for a steal of a price and I felt that I was rushing through my 1952 coupe just to get it on the road and cruising. My 52 is a dreamcar of mine and I need to do it right. So I figured if I could turn this 60 into a rustrunner and cruise as I build my 52.

This cadillac sat for along time on a railroad track dock and built up dirst and debris in the fender bottoms and hood and it rusted through, however the floors and bumpers are solid and the trunk still has the original mat. The dash is cracked and the seats were badly sunrotted but everything else is intact. Eventually down the road this coupe will probly get some patch panels and alot more love, but for now the 390 runs like a scalded ass ape so I am going to drive the wheels off

25. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

The matarial was still available a couple years ago from SMS auto fabrics in Oregon, for the Pacer. If you get it, don`t tell anybody you have Pacer fabric in your Caddy LOL. I`ve put Hyundai fabric in a BMW, Matched perfectly.

26. jt7282

jt7282
    from Midland Tx

lol , No, I am not a big fan of that pattern. It looks a little too Sante Fe to me.

27. Might ask Jobe what it's like---his 62 has cowhide(it's for sale in the classifieds)

28. jt7282

jt7282
    from Midland Tx

[​IMG]

Pic of Jobe's car. Thanks this is exactly what I had in mind.

29. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

My dad was looking at a car not too long ago, it had cowhide upholstery. There was an RPU at the LSRU that had a cowhide roof, I believe.

I think it's a cool idea, I've thought of it as well. I just don't have a car it would look decent in. It's only a cool idea if you're from Texas (which you are.)

I'm going to be annoyed if some 'tard in Maryland has cowhide in his ride. Having a local flair is what makes cars cool, people trying to take others regional bits irks me.

The same goes for Mexican blankets! Everybody know there aren't any Mexicans in Canada! Therefore, Canadian cars with Mexican blankets are ridiculous.

End of rant.

Cliffs: It's a cool idea for Texans.

30. JT,Your a better man than I am if you work out at that feed lot west of town,,,STINKS TO HIGH HEAVEN...smell it for miles on
    I-40