Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects ***The "Malcolm" Model A Roadster Build* (Updated 01/23/11)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Malcolm, Dec 23, 2010.

1. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Real nice....matter of fact perfect.

2. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Mark -- Thanks alot, I really appreciate it!!
    It was great to see you at the GNRS. Like I said, I need to set up a gathering for everyone in the Omaha area. If it doesn't happen before the Omaha World of Wheels, hope to see you there.

Thanks, Aaron (Rosenow)! The rear springs/mounts (kit) are from Posies.
    Funny that you mention the Chrisman Model A Sedan. I saw it in the NHRA Museum last weekend during the GNRS. That car really caught my eye and I would also have a REALLY hard time deciding to go with a '32 based frame or full-fendered. The fendered Chrisman Sedan sure sits right and looks awesome.

If you haven't already seen it, look up "allstarderrick" on here. He had a very nicely done '28/'29 A Sedan on '32 rails.

I do really like the '33/'34 type louvers. Going to try to use the '30/'31 hood sides for now, but will keep your guy in mind if I do a different route. Thank you!

3. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Great looking Roadster!! I think I actually have a couple photos of it saved, from during your build. If they're not of your car, they are of one that looks just like it.
    Thanks alot for the info on the '30/'31 hood sides. Contrary to my initial measurements, I will also probably have to slightly lengthen the hood sides I have... and cut them down vertically as you mentioned.

4. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Andy and I got some more work done this weekend.
    The through-frame wishbone mounts that we installed two weeks ago just weren't quite right. The sleeve behind them wasn't big enough to easily install the cotter pin and things weren't lining up 100%. Andy suggested we cut them out and put in better mounts. He picked up some scrap from work to use.

Here are the results --- much better! He has also made some extras that are a little more refined, if anyone is interested in a pair.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tacked in place
    [​IMG]

Back side
    [​IMG]

Finished
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I also test-fitted the headers that "wfo guy" (Bill) offered to me. He was great to deal with, very fair on price, and 100% honest. They will work perfectly with my frame, hood sides, motor mounts, and steering set-up. Thanks alot, Bill!

[​IMG]

6. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

We also did some more work on the rear suspension. Andy had some stainless 4-bar links from a previous project that we are using. They had to be shortened and re-welded.
    In this photo, the bottom one is already done and the top link is ready to be welded (left end).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...And that's all for this installment.
    I've said it before and I'll say it again --- it's very exciting for me to see this coming together!! I think I owe Andy a trip to Speed Week this August. Bonneville or Bust!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  7. zimm

zimm
    from iowa

verry cool!
    did the rear spring/shock mounts come with the kit?

8. N8B

N8B

Great looking build.

9. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Hey, Derrick! Nope, just the front spring mounts came with the kit.

10. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Looking GREAT bud! Can't wait to see it cruzn on the Salt! :cool:

11. thewildturkey46

thewildturkey46
    from Rice, MN

Looks good Nick......good to see you last week at "Old Crow's" I'll be watching for more updates. Dale

12. kisam

kisam

Nick,
    That frame is looking good! I think you are at the beginning of an iconic build!

13. hasty

hasty

Looks very clean - nice. Have you decided what to do with the grill yet?

14. lowtruck

lowtruck
    from Omaha

Looks good Nick. I like what you're doing with the rear suspension; very clean.

This car's gonna be killer. Does my status as a former Nebraskan entitle me to a ride in it at Speed Week this year? :D

15. Rex Schimmer

Rex Schimmer
    from Fulton, CA

Nick,
    Great to see you at Bobby Green's place before the GNRS. Love the progress on your roadster too!! Really glad to see you have moved the rear mounts for the front wishbones away from the bottom of the frame rail, like almost everyone else has! Really makes the bottom line of the Duce rails clean and uncluttered, like it is supposed to be! Also the mount you built for rear wishbone is really a great design. The things you are doing to it now are going to make it stand out in the crowd, it is the subtle differences that your peers will pick out when they look at your car that will make the difference to you. I remember the first time I saw Mark Morton's black 29 at one of the old Andy's Picnic get togethers and there were a bunch of "old guys" like myself all standing around just admiring the detail things that Morton did to make his car so unique. I think your will be the same.

When I built my modified I clamped a piece of plywood to the bottom of the frame rails this made sure that nothing hung below the lower frame rail. It looks like you are going for the same look. Great build, can't wait to see the car!!!

Rex

16. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

It was cool to run into you at Old Crow! ...and it was good to meet your wife, too.

Thanks for the encouragement, Kathy!

I've decided to leave the grill the stock dimensions, and will probably use the expanded aluminum "insert" that is in a couple photos.

Haha... of course! :D

It was good to see you at Old Crow, Rex! Like I said, I'm glad you said something because I didn't recognize you from Bonneville. Also, I appreciate the comments on the frame. The great friends (Andy Leach, Jason Holland) that have been helping me have also given invaluable advice, opinions, direction, and welding/fabrication skills. Andy has done much of the fabrication and welding. This project wouldn't be turning out nearly this nice without them!

17. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

It's because your such a nice dude Nick that people WANT to help you. Everybody has something to offer and what they give you is more then likely directly proportional to what you have given others in life.

18. Lookin good, Nick. I'd be interested in looking at the wishbone mounts you didn't use. I'll shoot ya a PM.

19. TomH

TomH

Hey Nick, dose the bracket that you weld to the rear end housing which the springs mount to come with the kit?

20. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

That bracket doesn't come with the kit -- it's a Pete and Jakes piece. It was meant for a coil-over 4-bar setup and I cut the upper bar mount tabs off of it.

21. ScottV

ScottV

Hey Nick, just got caught up with your build ... AWESOME !!!

The more time I spend here the more impressed I am with the talent here in town ... I just wish I was part of it ... :(

Do you think you'll have it at WOW in March ???

ScottV

22. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Thanks, Scott! Wouldn't be this far along without the help of some good friends...
    I do plan to push it into the World of Wheels show, in the Rebel's Club area.

23. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

One last update on this thread... then I'm starting a new one with 'rolling chassis' updates.

Last weekend we finished up work in Andy's garage and I brought everything back home on Sunday. I do have everything assembled in my garage again (minus body) and will be routing the exhaust, brake lines, and the hydraulic clutch line (using a hydraulic throw-out bearing).

Work has been extremely busy this week and will be for at least the next 10 days. Haven't had time to get much work on the Roadster, but I'll be back on it soon enough!

Here's what's keeping me busy at work ---- HVAC design/drafting:
    [​IMG]

Jason (jho on here) found a photo of the Jim Busby coupe front 'tuning fork'. We'd been talking about ways to avoid using a front panhard bar.
    [​IMG]

Andy came up with this design, dubbed the 'Funky Fork'
    I'll be installing a bolt through the center of the axle with a Delrin bushing on it to keep the axle centered.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, I took a break on Friday night to have drinks with Kevin Bacon, aka hiboy32 :D
    [​IMG]

That'll be it for this thread. Probably two more weeks until a good update, and hopefully a rolling chassis!
    (sorry about some of the photo quality -- some of these are cell phone photos)

Nick

24. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

That fork design is intriguing me. I was thinking about how to avoid using the panhard bar too, after looking at the '46 Ford front end I'm getting and noticing the bar on it.

Thanks, man. I think this is something I might use.

How did you mount the arm that goes in the fork? I notice you put the fork and arm behind the axle.. Really cleans it up from the front visually. Good planning and execution.

25. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

The Busby Coupe is a conventional spring-over-axle design and we moved the spring perches into the wishbones on my chassis, moving the spring behind the axle. This left very little room for a panhard bar, but enough to install the 'fork' behind the axle. There will be a 3/4" bolt installed through the center of the axle with a jam nut on both sides to hold it in place. I'll post photos of it when I get it installed.

26. hasty

hasty

This is a great thread - thanks for the updates. Lots of very thoughtful details. The fork looks promising. I'm very interested to hear how well it works. Will you chrome it or just let the delrin wear the paint? Have you heard any reports of how well the Busby fork works?

27. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

I wouldnt chrome the "funky fork", best just black.Parts of function shouldnt be confused with with pretty. gets lost with a lot of builds, chrome everything. Some functional things should just "go away " visually.

Kevin thinks this "Funky Fork"tm. will work bitchin.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  28. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Dude, that fork is a great idea, nice refined version you've got there! Keep up the good work.

29. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I can picture it in my head. I'm also planning on moving the spring behind the axle as well.

Thank you.

30. Looks great Nick, enjoying the build