Register now to get rid of these ads!

swapmeet courtisy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by olds vroom, Feb 6, 2011.

1. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Excuse me!" works if you're 6'5" and 320 with an unkempt beard. Not so much if you're 5'7" and look like a fashion designer. Of course, "Get the fuck out of my way!" doesn't work so good then either!.:D

2. big bad john

big bad john

.......Thanks....that really made my day with that story.....over the last 12 years of having a hot rod...I've met thousands of rodders and not a bad one yet....

3. starliner62

starliner62

Calvin, a nice guy like you runnin' over toes?
    Well I never!!

Great to see you here. It's been a while.

4. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There always seems to be at least a few dudes who need to brush their teeth and wipe their ass before heading to the swap...Yes, I know it is early and cold/hot, but still its no excuse to be so funky.

-Abone.

5. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Rule of thumb when walking through a crowd;
    Unless it's a Woman, Child, or elderly person, whoever is traveling the fastest has to move out of the way. If one guy is strolling along at a slow pace and you approach him dead on at a fast gait, then you yield. If some yahoo is practically running through an aisle, he's obligated to do the weaving. If a Bozo is on his cell phone or not watching where HE is walking, then it might be shoulder brushing time to wake him up.

As for the Dogs;
    Some dog folks believe their cute dogs are their children and they go EVERYWHERE with mom and dad. They don't realize that most other folks could care less about their dog and that the dog may be better off at home if the weather is harsh. My dog stays home and doesn't seem to mind a bit.

I hit swap meets to find parts and if I bump into an old buddy, I'll BS a bit. Some guys are not there to buy parts-it's a social outing. It's just another cruise night and a reason to get out of the house and bench race.

I firmly believe there's also a few sellers that buy a space for their social outing. The $50 is bargain as they can make shade, kick back with the cooler and tunes and let his buddies happen upon his "camp". He doesn't have to walk around-his buds will tell him about any cool shit he should go see. Set out a few overpriced parts to bottom fish with and just love that folks will talk to him about his cool shit. Again, he's just looking to get out of the house for the weekend, have a few beers and BS. Chances are that the Wife "ordered" him to unload some shit and he asks a mint to ensure he brings it home. If he lands a sale, he'll go shopping.

You could come up with a dozen or so swap meet "types". Car swaps are definately a place to people watch. Us car guys are a bunch of characters!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  6. Truckedup

Truckedup

Western NY state is a whole world different than NYC, like small town Texas ain't Dallas :D But all New Yorkers will call a fuck face a fuck face.
    I haven't been to Hamburg in a few years. I don't know why exactly but maybe it's just too easy to do Ebay.

7. olds vroom

olds vroom

I agree with Hot rods ta hell. I ran into a guy who wanted $800 for a standard Ordinary steering wheel

8. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

If swap meets are such an inconvenience Go to a craft fair instead,then you'll have lots of other whining old women to complain with.

9. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

I price all my parts to sell. I put the price on the part, when people ask why it is so cheap I just double the price and let them talk me back down.

10. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

I always take my personal bodyguard Gasserlouie to deal with people who get in the way. One look at him and it's like Moses parting the red sea.

11. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Ask them if thats there 20 bill they dropped over there ,

12. 94hoghead

94hoghead

It's not just swap meets, People act the same way at our local Wal-mart.....

13. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

I attended the Johnstown Street Survivors indoor swap meet today.
    Other than a guy diving ahead of me and scoping out a red Coke-like cooler,then dropping it when his price wasn't met....(I got the cooler at a great price).
    Nice swap meet,great host club and participants and a good time with some good deals!
    Darn good victuals too!

14. That's the first piece of philosophizing of yours I've understood and laughed at.

15. pecker head

pecker head

so what are your plans for the Deuce grill ?

16. mtpockits

mtpockits

yesterday i was waiting on a guy to get done with the deal on a set of rims, customer was low balling vendor an vendor came down a little on price. so i waited 2 more minutes,and hand vendor his asking price. boy that customer through a big ol fit.

17. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

ive got a different take on this,i am totaly oblivios to my surroundings because im too busy eyeballing everything ,and i dont miss much.i kinda haul ass the first run through then take my time on the second run stopping at the ones that caught my eye the first.

18. The37Kid

The37Kid

I shop the exact same way!:):D

19. Zerk

Zerk

A little CONSIDERATION goes a long way, just sayin'. That goes for the swapmeet, the parking lot, the supermarket, the county fair...

20. pecker head

pecker head

21. Fast67VelleN2O

Fast67VelleN2O

You guys know what.... if you get there early enough, you won't have to deal with huge crowds that show up after most of the good deals are already gone.

22. daliant

daliant

Your right about that place being packed. Way too many people standing around bullshitting.

23. I hate to hop on the bitchmobile, but this is a timely topic---I just got back from the Nashville swap.....I feel like I've been at the zombie apocolypse instead of shopping---guys with their friends and wives walking side by side 3-4-5 abreast in a 6 foot wide aisle, walking just fast enough to not be standing still :mad: Yes, there ARE people behind you---get the hellout of the way, please.
    Like somebody said, a little consideration goes a long way no matter where you are. Awareness of your surroundings is a wonderful thing;)
    Probably a lost effort to vent here, but I feel better

24. flat34pu

flat34pu

i have always made the most money selling when you still need a flashlight to see me unload my pu. and i do bring extra chairs so you can take a load off and finish that breakfast burritto and coffee.
    but it dose get to be a circus when it gets to crowded.
    rich

25. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

The title of this thread is an oxymoron.

26. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Had a buddy that used to go along and sell a few things, steering wheels 'n such, and he would always set out something with a "FREE" sign, thinking it would get folks to stop an look a little more. So one day at Petaluma he sets out an 80's GM plainjane AM radio, the one with the notes on the handles. So this wheeler-dealer comes by, picks it up from under the "FREE" sign, "how much?" :rolleyes: My bud keeps a straight face, says free, take it. So this guy turns it over & over, plays with the knobs, "does it work?" I dunno, it's free, take it. "what does it fit?" GM, it's free, take it.. This goes on for a full 20 minutes, sets it down, picks it up, looks it over- repeat.. sets it down and walks away without it, muttering to himself. Guess it wasn't cheap enough :confused:

27. i was at turlock on sunday last week. i helped at least three people load items and excuse me almost always works. we are all car guys after all respect given is respect earned. come on.

28. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Buying.I have a face with a permanent pissed off look that usually gets me where I want to go with few interruptions.If that doesnt work a well timed "MOVE" order gets folks out of the way.
    Rude? Yes.Effective? Very.
    Selling.I have been selling for 35 years.The pissed off expression was developed over the years from concrete and sod cowboys who look at a item(with a price tag) and offer 1/10 of the tag and then act like they are doing you a favor.
    I usually counter with a offer of a size 12 up their ass.
    I have a great clientele who buy from me every year and have chairs and cold ones for them in my swap lounge.
    I also have a contingent of folks who wont make eye contact and scurry past my place and complain to other vendors nearby that I'm a asshole.'
    Apparently they dont think vendors talk to other vendors.
    To all who think a swap meet is the place to offer pennies on the dollar..we know who you are

29. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

Yeah, Gasserlouie's a mean lookin' badass!

30. BISHOP

BISHOP

I have found a BigGulp cup full of beer helps keep me from freaking out in crowded places.