Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Auto racing 1894-1942

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kurtis, Jul 18, 2009.

1. jimdillon

jimdillon

Bob you are quite right that is the earliest Cadillac. When I saw it in the thread I wondered why it is here but whatever. Cadillac built several cars (four) in the fall of 1902 and this was the first car they took out for a test ride. That is Alanson Brush at the wheel and Wilfred Leland is the passenger I believe. Only the first Cadillac had a Hussey body and this is a Hussey body as it has the inspection door on the side where the later bodies had the oval disc. Hussey was the first sales manager but he was not there long. As soon as Hussey went down the road which was in the fourth quarter of 1902 then Cadillac used Wilson bodies.

Recently GM restored what is arguably the #1 car, although they used a copy of a Wilson body and there are some subtle changes from this car. Long story short, I believe they had two #1 cars (maybe some of the same running gear but definitely a newer and cleaner body).

Here is a GM publicity photo of their #1 car. I took some photos at one of their facilities but my photos came out quite dark. They did a great job on the restoration.-Jim

[​IMG]

2. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

Jim, it doesn't really matter if a photo of the Cadillac or anything similar is posted. At the end of the day it's still historical that we can all share and learn from and although the Cadillac didn't have any racing pedigree, the gentleman seated behind the steering wheel is worthy of discussion. No harm done.

3. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

The two Austro-Daimler Model 27/80 cars of Ferdinand Porsche behind the steering wheel in the white car and i think that could be Eduard Fischer in the second car at the conclusion of the III Prinz Heinrich Farht {1910 Prince Henry Trial}. The lady seated behind Porsche could also be his wife Aloysia.

4. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

5. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

6. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

The triumphant Horch 18/22 driven by Dr. Rudolph Stoess at the 1906 Herkomer-Konkurrenz. This was a reliability trial for touring cars held beween 1905 and 1907 in Germany.

The silver plaque for this event is one of the weirdest i have seen. It was designed by Hubert von Herkomer himself, the German born English artist, composer and film maker. It has two male nudes seated on a speeding automobile. I think i would lose on purpose if i was competing.

7. JShepherd

JShepherd
    from California

Wow!! This is amazing, i have a picture of this race car wrecked with the trophy that is in Tip's hands sitting on top of the car. As a matter of fact the trophy is sitting on my bookcase right in front of me. How do you know that his name is really Walter? I have never herd anyone call him that ever except for our family. I just finished putting together a photo album complete with the actual news paper articles from the period he was racing. I must have gone through 1000 pictures and saved maybe 100. Gus Duray and George Lott are in a lot of them as well as Babe Stapp?
    Thank you guys :)

8. The37Kid

The37Kid

Welcome to the HAMB! How did you find us? I'm always interested in Vintage race cars and the people that are related to them.

9. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

10. JShepherd

JShepherd
    from California

Blume is correct. Tip was my grandfather, and i just recently put together a photo album with a number of photo's from his racing days. This was one of his proudest moments. According to what was written on the back of this photo this was a race that was 1 mile against time. He was offered $1,000.00 or this trophy, he chose the trophy or Cup as he calls it. the trophy sits on my bookcase in my office today. I also have a picture of this car wrecked with this trophy sitting on top of it, along with 100 other photos from the era. thanks for bringing a smile to my face, i thought i was the only one who knew about this. :)

11. ehdubya

ehdubya

We'd love to see some of this stuff JS ;)

12. noboD

noboD

$1000 was basically a new car in those days. JShepherd, welcome, and by all means post whatever pics you have that we could be interested in.

13. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

14. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

15. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

16. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

Has anyone seen this photo? I'm trying to identify the place and what the event was. There seems to be a mixture of models from different years. I can identify a Cottin et Desgouttes to the left front with an Itala to the left of it, a Delage, a Corre La Licorne out in the middle and a Vauxhall. The gentleman in the overcoat at front also looks familiar.

Attached Files:

17. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

[​IMG]

A nice clear large sized photo of Petillo and Dunham when they won the 500 in 1935.

I have also found a photo of Petillo when he won the Mines Field Roadrace in 1934.

Sorry to not have time to post much over here, I have been very busy getting our new site going . We have almost 400 posts now and all of the pre and postwar racing posts are searchable, stop by for a visit as we are almost ready to go and hope to have the site finished this week. T-Head

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  18. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

The photo the Petillo Indy winner T-Head posted above reminded me of this. Did we get an answer?

Gilmore..?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  19. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

I've been asking too many questions lately. I'll make this the last one...for now.

Can anyone recognise the make of these cars?

Attached Files:

• 11.jpg
      11.jpg
      File size:
      37.5 KB
      Views:
  20. The37Kid

The37Kid

[​IMG], Kurtis, If this is the Mount Ventoux Hill Climb the Deydier driven Cottin-Desgouttes was the winner and the Model T Ford driven by Depasse finished in second place. I'll post two photos have of the event.

21. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

Kurtis, They are all small HP Buicks.....around 1910.

22. HarryPallenberg

HarryPallenberg

23. gilmore

gilmore
    from Missouri

Nope... still looking.

24. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

Bob, this was my first thought. The little Ford came in 2nd behind Deydier in 1911 where a total of 12 competitors were present so your answer is most likely correct. I also have him in three other Hillclimbs during the year and i was wondering if there is a possibility that the photo could be from any one of these events. Also, the #5 I originally identified as a Corre La Licorne could in fact be a Lion-Peugeot. Georges Boillot drove one to victory at Mont Ventoux in 1910.

Thanks and i'm looking forward to the photos you have.

25. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

Thanks David. The photo was taken at a track in Miniapolis and i'm trying hard to find which one. I was thinking it could be St.Paul but with lack of surroundings in the photo, it's proving to be difficult.

26. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just finished reading "Wheelspin" by C.A.N May. It is a fun read covering the british trials scene in the 30's. Of course he only drives the best mount...MG's of course. Starting with a PA, moving all the way up to a real "Cream Crackers" car.

(this is not CAN May)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

More MG trials images:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

29. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

30. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is a hill. By this point, the rules had changed to only allow for "stock tires" no knobbys.

[​IMG]