Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chinese Mfg Lug Nuts..........P-O-S

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GlassThamesDoug, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Fenders

Fenders

Seems we'll never know since every one does not want to mention names... cowards !!

2. alex211

alex211
    from NW PA

3. [​IMG]

FORD went to this style in the early seventies with stainless steel caps for their styled steel wheels. Cost savings is all that was.

The last set of solid lug nuts I bought was McGuard. The GORRILLAS were off-shore as I called corporate and asked before I bought them.

I will go out of my way or to a salvage yard before buying CHI-COM.

Attached Files:

4. mikeey rat

mikeey rat
    from Australia

We have great quality steel .It;s what they add to it when it gets there that fucks it up . my motto is buy cheap pay twice . SUBSTITUTE CHEAP FOR CHINEESE IN THAT MOTTO AND ITS THE SAME LESSON.Once upon a time if a manufacturer saw a product their thought was I can make that product better for around the same price. Now the thought is i can copy that product cheaper for more profit by children or peasants overseas somewere... we are surely on the road to nowhere with this attitude

5. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You dont need to tell me that, I am their leader!:D

6. Although Australia supplies 80% of China's iron ore, I think the issue is more to do with what they do with it rather than the quality of the raw materials. If your priority is maximising profits, rather than quality of end product,..you are only going to end up with one thing,....crap

7. Not exactly true, but yes, on a theoretically infinitely long bolt, the first thread takes a third of the load, the first three threads take three-quarters of the load, and the first six threads take essentially the whole load....Hans

8. mikeey rat

mikeey rat
    from Australia

UH chief i thjnk bobwop was rattlin doc watsons chain

9. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The rounded ends of many acorn nuts are designed to be 'knock-offs' so that they can be converted to "through nuts" for long studs.

10. greazy john

greazy john

capped lug nuts are nothing new !!! remember the 70's

11. petritl

petritl
    from Marion, TX

Doug called me about these lug nuts and I asked him to post what he found so I will try and clear up a couple of points.

Doug's backup wheels are slots which requires lugnuts that have the threaded shank that protrudes into the wheels. If I understand him correctly the shank is only brazed to the acorn where the hex is. His concern is if the braze should fail the shank and the hex would seperate and provide no inward force to hold the wheel on at that lug.

Doug didn't go looking for Chinese lugnuts nor did he go to a low cost source. I am sure these are sold at lot of different parts houses but I believe these in particular came from N#P#

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  12. truckncoupe

truckncoupe

Good ole manufactured parts from oversea's....you really have to be careful on who and where you buy fasteners these days....I sell fasteners for a living...some of the crap out there will scare you!

13. Big_John

Big_John
    from Upstate NY

x2

Saw a lot of them back then.

14. allot of GM cars and trucks still use open ended lugnuts. The down side is that they are threaded on the outside to take a plastic cap, so they are a little big around.

15. FoxSpeed

FoxSpeed
    from NorCal

A lot of posts regarding Chinese nuts. Me, I prefer pistachio's.

16. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Since you're in the business, can you pass along to the HAMB what co.'s manufacture domestically (N. America)?
    Maybe also pass along brands that we would bet are domestically made, but are actually imported from China/packaged/distributed here?

17. Support American companies and order some chrome bullet lug nuts from San Jose Speed And Chrome today 408-561-5744/ [email protected]

18. AlbuqF-1

AlbuqF-1
    from NM

I had a set of Unilug Cragars that used those, in the '80's. I can understand his concern, the shank that goes into the wheel centers the wheel (on most of the designs). As long as the studs go all the way up into the actual nut, the two parts could separate and you wouldn't lose a wheel. It might actually be better to drill out the threads in the shank?

19. Gman0046

Gman0046

Everything is now being made in China. Read recently Hurst products are now ChiCom made.

20. Boldsmobile

Boldsmobile
    from W.Mass

Cheap Lug Nuts = Peanuts from Georgia with Salmonella = Pistachios from California with Salmonella = Colonoscopy Device with AIDs in US VA Hospitals

There is bad all over guys.

It takes two to tango on the lug nuts. There is a manufacturer willing to make to what ever spec the customer wants and there is equal blame that belongs to the US company that decides to import it.

You cant stop the supply but if you stop the demand the supplier will stop making it.

21. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Please do...
    By ACORN I'm assuming you mean the part you can see when the wheel and lugs are in place?
    If so it isn't uncommon and isn't a structural part anyway. It's like the fancy hubcap on a steel wheel. It's just about the pretty...the strength is underneath.
    That said...I'd STILL rather have a lug thats made in a North American factory.
    My family Dodge Caravan has stainless clad lugs as OEM parts.

Solid ones are much better in the rust belt as corrosion starts between the cladding and the solid lug, swelling the cladding to the point that the normal socket won't fit anymore. TOTAL pain to remove then!

22. Ha!! Thanks mikeey rat, I missed that one - :(. Serves me right for firing off reply's when I am really focused on watching the end of the cricket!

Dont think I have ever been defensive about Australia's iron ore before either!

23. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here you go at a different angle...........looks like pot metal, bet the hardness is poor......I may have to cut deeper to see if the threads are a helicoil?

[​IMG]

I wonder how far they would go with a 5 iron? TEE TIME......

I wouldn't use these on anyone's P-O-S car........

24. moefuzz

moefuzz

Yeah well at least up here we refuse to make the pos 350 engines, we'll leave that to you and the Chinese.

25. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

it wasn't the peanuts that were bad, it was a really bad processing house

26. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

looks like the OEM..POS lug nuts that Ford has been putting on the F-150's for as long as I care to remember..the other bitcch is ..if you drive them in the salt and snow like around here those nuts get all pregnant from the corrosion underneath swell up and you cant get your dam lug nut wrench on them when time comes to remove them, Usually in the dark of night with a blown tire on the side of some desolate road..
    Yeah ask me how i know..:mad:

27. A little anti-seize goes a long way no matter what kind you may have to use.
    I have had to use that cheap ass chinese garbage lug nuts before & I have found using a little anti-seize w/them I never have a problem w/them stripping out or ruining the stud...joe

28. alex211

alex211
    from NW PA

I have always wondered what made the cheap acorn lug nuts swell up.

I would never put a capped or two piece lug nut on any of my vehicles, they are a stupid design.

29. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here are the Old CRAGARS from the 70's. They were Solid.....I had them drilled on a lathe. I also drilled a set of USA lugnuts from the 80's for my ANSEN rims......they were solid too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  30. I just have mine made. 13/16th hex bar + a lathe= lug nuts.