Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects ***The "Malcolm" Model A Roadster Build* (Updated 01/23/11)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Malcolm, Dec 23, 2010.

1. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

Nice quality work,Nick.The rear quarter eliptics are a neat set-up.

2. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I owe a huge thanks to Andy Leach for the nice quality work! He definitely knows what he's doing. A few photos in the background may hint at where he used to work on/build cars... ;)

3. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Comin along, very cool!

4. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow!! You're kickin' some ass, Nick!! Car's gonna' rule!

5. Hey Nick, Looks like things are coming along fine. Nice chassis.

6. That rear suspension is very cool. Great build.

7. Nick killer build can't wait to see more.And I lover the eliptical setup,that thing should ride awesome.Great work Nick!!

8. Thanks for the updates nick, I can tell that it will have a bitchin stance even on the jig.

9. cal1954

cal1954
    from Omaha, NE

Thanks friend! Had a good time hanging and doing a little fab'n. It looks awesome on the table. Can't wait to see it sitting on the ground!

10. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

One thing I didn't explain is how we have it set up on the table....

I had it mocked up in my garage with body on and wheels/tires in place (as in the previous photos) at my preferred ride height. Andy had me take a bunch of measurements for frame height off the ground, axle centerlines, etc. He started by making sure his welding table was level and then I cut the square tubing to place the frame at ride height above the table.

The rear axle is also placed at ride height and that is why we moved the frame C-notch up an inch, to be sure there is enough clearance.

We were also able to get the engine/trans in place and leveled and be sure there is enough clearance below the oil pan.

We used a piece of rectangular tubing and C-clamps to compress the front spring to get the axle at ride height. The ratchet strap around the engine hoist and axle is more of a 'safety' strap in case one of the C-clamps were to slip off.

I'm pretty damn excited to see this coming along!! ...and really glad we have it set up this way so we know where everything should be when it's assembled as a running/driving car. When we take it off the table, there will be struts in place to hold it at ride height and I will continue to work on it that way.

11. WelderSeries

WelderSeries
    Alliance Vendor

Thanks for posting the motor mount pics... I added you to our January photo sharing draw.

I'm interested to see the 'boxing plate' side of the thru-frame wishbone mounts you did...

12. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

I like what your doing buddy,keep up the good work.

13. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Look out Rolling Bones, here come the Omaha boys. Nice job!

14. kisam

kisam

Moving right along! Nice to see your visions coming to life!

15. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Lookin good Nick. Fun to hang out there friday nite and watch Andy do his magic. Looks like you got alot done over the weekend. Much better time spent than watching people with too much money buy overpriced cars at B.J. Gary

16. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

You move almost as fast as Kisam or Thunderbirdesq!!! Great work dude, this thing should be up and running in no time!

17. Looks great! Keep it going.

18. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Andy's table is very cool! Minimal bending over, very little up-and-down. Chassis is even cooler, great work!

19. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Thanks alot for adding me to your drawing!
    We still have some work to do on the wishbone mounts and I will get more photos as we get them finished up.

Thanks, Dick! I'll have to have everyone over when I get the chassis back to my house.

Oh jeez... I can only hope this will be half as cool as the Rolling Bones cars. Thanks, Gary!

Thanks for stopping over to hang for a while, Gary!

We had 2-3 of us (Andy, Jason, myself) working on it for a approx. 20 hours over the weekend. Still a long ways to go!

20. jho

jho
    from Omaha

it looks even betterer:D in person glad the wishbones got moved this weekend should be epic

21. Good progress, guys.

22. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

that looks really good. you will have let know next time you guys are putting time in on that thing.

23. troy5118

troy5118
    from Haven Ks

Just caught your thread, looks good Nick!

24. Nick, one of the 7 deadly sins is envy,... I just want to thank you and the guys for trying to kill me. This thing is coming together so well and , even at this point, displays artistry,
    design savvy, restraint where necessary, craftsmanship, technology and quality. Too dang happy for you, MAN!

{"Forgive me father, for I have sinned....."}

25. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

Nick, I am following this closely, I will be building a car with a Chassis Close to this, I have been Told that Imitation is the Sincerest Form of Flattery.

I have the begginings of a 28 Sedan, that i am fighting myself with in the worst way. I want to do a Full Fendered car sometimes then seeing this makes me want a Highboy...

I started by wanting to do a car inspired by the Jack Chrisman Sedan but this really has me leaning twards a deuce chassis.

my power will be a little different, ive got a 55 331 Chrysler Hemi, and a 3speed Overdrive out of a Gm pickup from the late 70s, the alumium one...

question,

Are your rear quarter elliptic Posies Units? If i missed it in the reading im sorry.

Looking Great, Keep up the good work.

~Aaron

26. roadsterpilot

roadsterpilot

Nick if you want the 33/34 louvers on the hoodsides, there's a guy in Oak Grove that can do the louvers and match the reveal on you cowl, he done my hoodsides and blisters. He does great work and reasonable.

Frame looks great cant wait to see this one in person...................

27. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

Somehow I missed this build thread - holy crap - very cool dude. I love it!! You're doing a great job too! Keep up the good work.

I used '30-'31 hood sides on my '29 Roadster on '32 rails. The required some shortening (vertically) and lengthening (horizontally) to make them fit. Granted, I used a '32 grille shell and my shell to cowl distance is likely different than yours. Anyways - it turned out pretty decent. I had to fabricate the hood top, and looking back now wish I had paid more attention to making the bottom of the hood line more level. It tends to run uphill a bit and you go towards the shell.

[​IMG]

28. sololobo

sololobo

Nick, that is lookin very good man. Nice to get Andy in on the build, you guys are rockin along. Congrats. Larry

29. Malcolm, very nice ride. Looks like it is coming along really quickly. Going to be awsome when its done.Enjoy!

30. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Very Nice