Register now to get rid of these ads!

Coolest thing you have ever found at a wrecking yard???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jokerjason, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Probably made into a bridge in Australia by now.-Weeks

2. This will only make sense if your into Falcons. 1963 ranchero/2 dr wagon gas cap. at the time they were going for 150/175 I found one in a wagon for a buck!!!!!

3. found a nice horse saddle in the back of an old ford bronco. kinda ironic.

4. indyjps

indyjps

1970 Mach 1, this was a scrap/recycle yard, not an automotive salvage yard. Took a load of cans in, thought I'd walk the yard looking for some tubing or sheet. flat bed pulls in with a 1970 mustang stuffed full of parts, completely covered with surface rust. The guy had it blasted, then got a divorce, must have been bad cause his wife pushed it out in the snow in bare metal, she got the car and had it hauled off.
    Paid scrap price for it, the yard weighed it and had me pay them for what they would have given. Got it home and every piece of the car was there, ownership records since new, ford "protectoplate", intake, carb, dist date matched, every piece for an original car except block/ trans
    Paid around $200 once I had the hauler bring it to my house, sold over $3000, I was 17, it was big $.

5. historynw

historynw

Ah so you ended up with the BB...people been wondering where it went.

6. No, actually I couldn't afford it at the time! I agree.... :( I almost passed out when I saw this one!!! Sad!!!

No sh!t though.. the REALLY weird thing is that I got ANOTHER Bluesmobile from a friend of mine about two weeks after I saw the one in the salvage yard! Long story, and people would think that I was bragging if I told it here, but basically another 74 Monaco already painted up and all was given to me, so I gave it to a guy that I know that has a kid with Downs and both of them are HUGE Blues Brothers fans. Weird how things seem to work out sometimes!!!

7. Someone else just reminded me of another story of something BAD turning into something really GOOD...

I was working on my wife's daily driver front wheel drive car and broke a cast aluminum part as I was reinstalling it and torquing it down which REEALLLY pi$$ed me off. I grab my wallet and some tools and headed towards the closest salvage yard in a huff. The guy behind the counter points me towards the "scrap engine pile " near the crusher and says to take what I need from a junk motor. Walking back to the pile, I walk along a line of cars waiting their turn to get flattened and I see a MINT condition little powder blue grandma-owned 62 Plymouth 4 door about ten cars away from the crusher!!! It had a severely crunched left front fender, bumper, etc. but the rest of the car looked like new! I got the engine part and asked the guy behind the counter to sell me the car too! I put it on the credit card (never got to buy a car on a credit card before!) and sold it a week later to a guy who buys & sells parts for the old super stock cars up in PA.

My mood was a lot better by the end of the day!

8. the best thing was also the worst thing, a cherry 39 buick coupe, mirror finish black lacquor, Buick nailhead, 37 buick trans and a blown rear end. white TJ tuck n roll. $200 it took me 3 days to raise that kind of cash (1960) got back and it was crushed and stacked. I still have nightmares of that memory

9. LOWDOWN2

LOWDOWN2
    from Ontario

A local painting contractor ordered a new Canadian-built '58 Pontiac Sedan Delivery (built on Chev frame), red and white 6-automatic. Used it regularly...until it fell off a ferry...and one of the occupants didn't get out... Recovered, but written off... Sat in a local wrecking yard for years 'n years (well into the '70s), then disappeared. Likely crushed.

I have no idea exactly how many '58s were built, but the number MUST be mighty small... Woulda made a neat/rare streeter, if you didn't know the "history"...

10. LOWDOWN2

LOWDOWN2
    from Ontario

Wrecking yard in Vegas, SEMA '99, "crawling" for trim parts for the 'vert in my avatar (successfully). 1948 V12 Lincoln Continental 2-dr...incinerated! The V12 was just a molten blob...body faired only slightly better...

11. tstellhorn

tstellhorn

Attached Files:

Kevs56 likes this.
  12. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

this
    [​IMG]
    in a private junk yard his dads sisters car bought back in the day

13. ...found this, pretty rough, looks like it burned, I left it there.

[​IMG]

14. edseldude

edseldude
    from bedford va

The coolest thing ive found in a "farm junk yard" was a 1970 boss 302 body. The owners son barrell rolled it in 1972. The only useable parts left were the front suspension, the left front fender(boss only), the vin# and the rearend backing plates. put a set of rotors on it bolted an 8" rearend under it and rolled it on the trailer for $300. Brought it home, contacted the guys son. He even helped me obtain a title for it. Sold it to a guy in Florida for $4k. That was a good day!

15. No Clue...

No Clue...
    from Lusk, WY

Found a sawed off 20 gauge wrapped in a gunny sack and stuffed over the rear wheel well of a 51 Plymouth. Been sitting there for over 25 years.

16. pigpen1

pigpen1

I was driving a roll truck back in the 70's, picked up a 46 ford when I took it to the scrappers for some reason I reached under the front seat and stuffed in the seat springs was a 1903 colt 32 automatic in a us officers holster .still have it.

325w likes this.
  17. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

When the Subway™ restaurants still gave you those little stamps and a card to fill to get free food, my buddy was working in a wrecker and found an entire roll of the stamps and box of the cards in the consul of a Cutlass, we ate Subway™ for 2 years till we got so sick of it... but free food is free food!

I found an early 35 Graham in a scrap yard, I walked as they were loading it nto the crusher, I ran over waving my arms like a mad man and they stopped, they sold me the whole thing for the scrap value, and even left it stuffed with "scrap" got it home and turned out all the missing body pars were inside it and the rest of the scrap inside was S10/S15 parts that I sold a week later, a actually turned a profit!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Coolest thing I found in a wrecking yard was this truck hours before it was to be destroyed. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3213305/1959-chevrolet-apache

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Although my bus also came from a wrecking yard back in 84... http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2563951

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

slack likes this.
  18. PRIMER STUDIO

PRIMER STUDIO
    from Bozeman,MT

A couple years ago, I found a single, high clearance 18" wide five ford wheel for $10.

19. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Man you got some cool stuff! What are you going to do with the Graham?

20. Arominus

Arominus

I scored my 58 plymouth out of a yard where it had been sitting since 1966 :)

Second best score so far was the factory air conditioning setup out of a 58 desoto, got it all for $100!

[​IMG]

21. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

A forty coupe and a 54 mercury sunvalley glass top in a wrecking yard in Tijuana, I paid $800 for the coupe and $2000 for the hardtop. this was in the eighties though.

22. "HOTROD"

"HOTROD"
    from Seattle

stuff I found on my way back from Bonneville last year

Attached Files:

Kevs56 likes this.
  23. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

Thanks Boss!

The Graham is like a lot of my cars, I just saved it for the sake of keeping it from death, I might build it, but it could happily go to a new home too!

It's funny, I have 4 vehicles I will not sell (31 Pontiac DD, 52 Dodge snow plow, 46 Ford bus, 59 Sub limo) and people seem to assum ethat I will not let any car or truck go because of this... it's really the opposite, my cars change very often.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have never put air in the Grahams tires, they have been full since I got it!

24. "HOTROD"

"HOTROD"
    from Seattle

stuff I've seen, wish I had

Attached Files:

Kevs56 likes this.
  25. "HOTROD"

"HOTROD"
    from Seattle

more......

Attached Files:

Kevs56 likes this.
  26. "HOTROD"

"HOTROD"
    from Seattle

more..

Attached Files:

Kevs56 likes this.
  27. "HOTROD"

"HOTROD"
    from Seattle

Attached Files:

Kevs56 likes this.
  28. greasemunkee

greasemunkee
    from San Diego

A few years back, I found a complete original '52 GMC half ton pick up at the local Pick a part. This thing was perfect! Not one piece was missing off it. After about an hour of useless begging and pestering of the yard manager, I left the yard defeated. Bastard refused to sell it complete even after I offered almost 8 times what he paid for it. I went back a few days later only to find it picked clean.

29. I've been junk'n so long, I've had many cool finds.
    Couple from the 1980's:

sideswiped 63-1/2 Galaxie 'R' code, 427-4sp - $350
    $17 in silver certificates under the back seat.

enginless 56 Caddy CoupeDeVille serial #00003 - $200
    150 antique car radios in the trunk

30. CH3NO2JAY

CH3NO2JAY
    from Chicago

1963 Gold Chevy Impala SS 2 dr for $350.00 and that was like in the mid 90's on the southside of Chicago. The car would be considered a 5, but we stripped it clean of every part since my buddy had the same car and needed glass/interior/etc etc. The car would of been killer if properly restored though. :(

This very car is the car I hurt myself on and wrecked my back from stupidity and it still haunts me to this day. Also the junk yard manager and I got in a disagreement (workers even took my side and customers) after purchase which was completely on him and all hell broke loose, but I got her home and parked her at my friends and we sadely cut her up :(

It was Gold Exterior & Interior...