Register now to get rid of these ads!

52 chevy fleetline kustom build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by xmlc216x, Feb 5, 2011.

1. xmlc216x

xmlc216x
    from MS

Today my '54 chevy truck project went to a new home and a 52 fleetline pulled into its place.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stay tuned for updates on my future plans for a completely traditional kustom build.

2. Old Heap

Old Heap

Good Luck!

Subscribed!

3. 64LeSabre455

64LeSabre455
    from Adkins, Tx

Lookin forward to this one!
    What's gonna happen to your deadline now?:D

4. what just happened !

5. oldman2

oldman2

Hate to see the pickup go, but your the boss. Best of luck on the new project.

6. xmlc216x

xmlc216x
    from MS

Well I've wanted to build a kustom car from day one and the s10 frame was really bugging me too. I really want to build something that could've been built in the 50's, so that's my new goal. As far as the deadline... I thought about just putting the 350/th400 in it and fixing the brakes and driving it over there, but I haven't made my mind up yet.

Haha, well you see I saw this car for sale and made a crazy offer and he went for it to my amazement...

I'm sad to see it go as well, but I really really want to build a kustom car. Chopped top, possibly sectioned, some kind of frenched headlights, draggin tail, extended quarters with tail lights molded in... I have so much stuff in my head that I have to get out...

7. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

To many pickup's, not enough fleetline's! Unless your an acomplished metal man, forget a chop or a section job, major under takeing's believe me i know!!!! But a grapevine inspired fastback could be real cool!!!!!! Larry

8. xmlc216x

xmlc216x
    from MS

I'm by no means an accomplished metal man, but I have vision and it will be chopped :D

9. 42 chevy

42 chevy

That is a very nice body style. Good score.

10. DIRTY_WHITE_BOY

DIRTY_WHITE_BOY
    from Tennessee

Had seen your truck a few times,but going to enjoy the fleetline build much more. Good decision Gus

11. xmlc216x

xmlc216x
    from MS

Well I might as well fill you in on a few of my plans for the car...

A friend has a '54 caddy with a 331 in it and I offered to trade him my running 350/th400 combo for his motor/trans. He's thinking about it, but I think he'll go for it since he just wants to get the car on the road and doesn't have the means to rebuild the caddy v8. So keep your fingers crossed for that to happen.

I'm planning to keep the whole build as traditional as possible like I'm a 25 year old in 1959 building a kustom car in my garage. With that said, I've got a line on a tri-five chevy rear end to switch out the torque-tube rear end that's in the car now. Once I get the new rear end and hopefully the leaf springs with it, I'll probably relocate the springs inside the frame rails, de-arch and flip the main spring, and then see if I need blocks as well. As far as the front end, I know you can order pretty much whatever dropped uprights and springs you want, but I don't think guys could just order whatever back in '59.... So, the plans will be to build dropped lower arms from the stock arms, cut a couple coils, and possibly even z the frame to get the stance I want.

As for the body, I know I'm going to chop it and I might section it 2-3 inches as well. Sounds radical, but I'm looking to keep nice lines with the car. Should flow well with what I have planned. As far as grill, bumpers, and lights it's all up in the air right now.

12. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

And with that said, fire up the sawsall!!!! You will be an accomplished metalman when your done!!!!!! Have fun and if you need some pointer's drop me a line! Alway's willing to help. And welcome to the brother hood of metal shaper's! Larry

13. sgnova72

sgnova72

I also watched some of your truck thread but will definitely get more out of this build. Consider me subscribed.

14. GREASER815

GREASER815

Fleetline's are cool. I had one, never even got started on it and sold it to buy my Ford. I kind of regret getting rid of it.

15. 90ssp

90ssp
    BANNED
    from dallas, ga

Attached Files:

16. dragdaddyO

dragdaddyO

There is a guy in Dallas that chopped a 50 fleetline and posted a Video on youtube. I called him to see what his pricing was like. He does things like rounded door and hood corners, cuts the interior trim and rewelds them.

17. xmlc216x

xmlc216x
    from MS

sgnova, I'm hoping to get more out of this one too!

90ssp, I was just looking at your amateur chop thread the other day... looks good! Do you have any pics of the section in progress? What made you decide on 4"?

18. 90ssp

90ssp
    BANNED
    from dallas, ga

are you talking about BASS?

19. 90ssp

90ssp
    BANNED
    from dallas, ga

No photos yet. I've been down in my garage staring at it for the last few hours. I started taping off the cut locations. I saw Hotink's thread and he sectioned his 3 so I figured by looking at it that I could squeeze 4 out of it.

20. xmlc216x

xmlc216x
    from MS

Yeah his looks good for sure.

21. xmlc216x

xmlc216x
    from MS

A quick crude photoshop of what I have planned for the chop...

Attached Files:

22. dt50chev

dt50chev

Hey, found your new build thread. I will be watching with interest. Like the chop in the photoshop. I don't think that a section will look that good, but that is my personal opinion. It is your car so do what you like. Subtle is always best.

23. xmlc216x

xmlc216x
    from MS

Haven't quite decided on the section yet... I really like how hotink or whatever his name is chevy coupe turned out when he sectioned it 3"

24. xmlc216x

xmlc216x
    from MS

I got started on the fleetline today... Took the front cap off and decided to take the front end out as well to prepare it for an overhaul.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Does anyone have any info, pictures, or threads on z'ing these frames? I'm going to stick with the original front end to keep the build as traditional as possible and I'm thinking the best way to start out lowering the 4x4 will be to z the frame, cut a coil or two, and then if it needs more I'll build dropped lower arms.

25. 90ssp

90ssp
    BANNED
    from dallas, ga

Just to give you an idea on the coils. I cut two out on my fronts and made 3" lowering blocks for the rear. It still hasn't been driven yet so the front will prob lower just a little more. Those are just roller tires on it right now.

26. 90ssp

90ssp
    BANNED
    from dallas, ga

also, are you planning on hardtopping it?

27. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

If you have any questions regarding the section contact twentygallons here on the HAMB, he's the Master. Kool project.

28. xmlc216x

xmlc216x
    from MS

Yeah, I'd like to hardtop it. But I still have a few things I'd like to figure out regarding the vent windows/door tops clearance before I go into that.

Thanks, I'll look him up!

29. ZRD

ZRD

Looking good! Now I need to finish up some projects so I can finish the 54!

30. no z is needed! just step your lower a arms or drop spindles and you could lay frame with out a z!