Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Old MGs as Hot Rods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vintageauto, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Bob beat me to it, but here's the shot I took of the Bob Noice killer MG on the return road at Atco in 1961.

Upps...sorry for the digger photo

Attached Files:

2. Greg in Jax

Greg in Jax

Mockup photos of my current project. Front end comes down 2" with a modified crossmember to get the nose right, rear of engine goes up 2" to get the torque tube lined up properly. This is why the roadster pickup body and bed are for sale.

Attached Files:

3. sk_rodz

sk_rodz

Here is one that is at the pumpkin run in Ohio every year.

[​IMG]

4. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Ed Sigmon raced one in the late 60s. I think the car was named "Snarpeezel," and was purple, if I recall correctly. He was a pretty serious overdog in competition eliminator at the time.

OK, found a pic; maybe more maroon than purple. It was, after all, a long time ago.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  5. damnfingers

damnfingers

Not sure you can honestly call it a hotrod but I do (and so did Dennis Gage when he interviewed me last year during Cruising the Coast - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMvOhky6ySM

Built originally to vintage race but now just enjoy it on the street when it's warm.

Attached Files:

6. CustomV8MGB

CustomV8MGB
    from Texas

Old thread I know, but I just happened across it. Anyone interested in hot rodded british cars should check out www.britishv8.org. Mostly MG's & Triumphs, but enough others to keep it interesting. Over 8000 pics, how to's, and a pretty active forum. Related web site is www.britishracecar.com.

I know it's not what most HAMBers are into but I'm doing a Ford 302 swap into an MGB. T5 tranny, custom IRS (nissan R200S diff); fender flares from a dodge omni, shaved, & a bunch of other mods. Same stuff done to traditional hot rods, just applied to the MG. Been working on it a few years -- expect to do the 1st test drive this coming weekend (just finished brakes & wiring).

7. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

That "big long" hood covers up a whole bunch of cowl. Look at the picture of red one here--you'd have to do major cut work to fit an in-line 6 in one. And then there wouldn'tt be any foot room.

8. Was a common swap in Australia in the 1960,s. Holden straight 6 ofcourse. 138 cu in up to 179 cu in.

Attached Files:

9. Fiatdude

Fiatdude
    from SoCal

I don't know why -- but this car has always snuck into my definition of rock and roll

Attached Files:

10. Jonneville

Jonneville
    from NY and UK

MG has broken more speed records than any other car manufacturer, including many at Bonneville, where they were a regular sight for many years. Ex-WW2 tank commander and Shelby racer Ken Miles - "Teddy Teabagger" - used to race an MG before he teamed up with Carroll, plus Ken was one of many MG record breakers at Bonneville.

Although I'm English I'd never really had a lot of time for MGs until I found out about their record breaking and land speed record history. Why? Well I spent two years (2007-8) trying to break the C/Gas/Coupe record (225.9mph back then) at Bonneville in the SO-CAL Speedshop 2003 MG ZTT - OK, I know it's not an old MG but the heritage was there and with its Rousch 351, Jericho 5-speed and Winters QC it was a tried and tested old hot rod formula in a new skin. I know it's not exactly HAMB material but hell, it sneaked into a Hop-Up annual and I thought you might like this photo taken just after the 5 mile marker...

[​IMG]

Regards

Jon'.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  11. davedeltadog

davedeltadog

Gay My Asss! What kind of a bullshit statement is that?

Here is my 53 TD with 350SBC/T5 and narrowed Corvette rear. The grill is out at this time for repaint while I install a new custom aluminum radiator. When the hood is in place, it looks almost stock.

[​IMG]

12. C.R.Glow Neon

C.R.Glow Neon
    from stockton

have to agree with you on the "gay" issue, maybe the late model MGB with the rubber bumpers. Phil Hill drove one so did Carrol Shelby, Ak Miller, etc. one of the earlist hot rods after the war, V-8 60 swaps, superchargers, light weight,go fast or as they say Safety Fast. RD

13. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

if you own an MG it isn't to bad, like being in the closet. But if you drive one, then everyone knows you are a real flamer.

14. Warpspeed

Warpspeed

There was a guy called Carol Shelby, used to squeeze big American V8 engines into small British AC sports cars. They went like the clappers.

Ever heard of the Shelby Cobra? Doing something very similar to a poor little MG is not the lest bit gay.

15. The37Kid

The37Kid

16. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Never seen a male MG trying to mount another male MG, but I HAVE seen a Ford wagon mounting a front engine dragster. Now considering that the dragster was "catching", does that make front engine dragsters gay??

17. P-FITZ98

P-FITZ98
    from Spokane,WA

My dad built a 53 TC for my mom in the early70s that was an x-drag car.He put a alum.215 buick/glide/8"rr in it.Was super nice,won lots of big shows back then.Sold to someone in Texas in the mid 80s.Was silver with slotted mags back then.I got pics somewhere.....I also know the guy(Gary) who owns the killer black Austin pictured...very nice car.

18. One Finger John

One Finger John

Hey, any pictures of the Fiasco Automotive MG-TD out of North Hollywood, California?

19. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

Here's a "B" after sitting many years outside with no top. In it's day it had a 400 sbc, Turbo 350, and an 8" Ford rear. Note the trans tunnel clearance for the back of the V8 still left pedal room on the drivers side and foot room on the passenger side. Through the years all the good parts from radiator to rear end were robbed for other projects but it was a ball way back when. Also had an even "Faggier" Opal GT with a 410 sbc that sent many a Camaro, Mustang, and Mopar home feeling like something had been broken off in THEIR ass. Before making brainless comments about other ones choices just remember that the whole idea of hotrodding is to go fast and there is no better way than stuffing the biggest engine into the smallest car---even if it's pink.

Attached Files:

20. MARVIN CT

MARVIN CT

Here's my '52 TD with a 60hp. Collecting parts to replace the Ford 3-speed with a Mustang T5. Just a fun thing. Marvin, CT.

Attached Files:

21. davedeltadog

davedeltadog

that's a cool old TD, check out the attached link, I'm a member of the Brit V8 group and would like to see more pics of your car
    take care, Dave

http://forum.britishv8.org/list.php?2

22. That is a claean install!!! I like it!

[​IMG]

23. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

My dad has a TR4-A. I have a spare large journal 327 short block and a TR1YX. If I ever get my hands on that TR...

24. Warpspeed

Warpspeed

How very true !!

The deep roots of hot rodding go back to the days when every joe with a spanner and an oily rag was trying to make his banger go a little bit bit faster any way he could.

Removing unnecessary stuff, and hotting up engines was all part of the fun.

I just cannot imagine one of those guys saying " Hemi engine ? WTF....... it just ain't traditional"

Fitting the biggest meanest Hi Po engine in the smallest available car was a proven formula for speed. And it still is.

25. Here is one out on the dry lake near Reno in the early 50s

[​IMG]

26. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Amen, brothers.

27. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Sorry, hate to break it to you, big american V-8s in brit. sporty cars IS traditional. been said many times before, if you have such a hatred for traditional hot rods, why are you on a traditional forum?

28. Warpspeed

Warpspeed

Duh?
    So fitting larger engines is not traditional hot rodding ?

And anyone that suggests an engine swap does not belong on HAMB ?

29. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Warp, you misunderstood him. He agrees with you. He said it IS traditional. (Cramming big motors in little cars.) He wasn't talking to you, he was talking to those other wankers. :)

30. Cris

Cris
    from Vermont

Is calling things you don't like "gay" traditional?