Register now to get rid of these ads!

Color of this Barney Oldfield Fiat?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HarryPallenberg, Feb 4, 2011.

1. HarryPallenberg

HarryPallenberg

Does anyone have any idea about the possible colors of this Barney Oldfield Fiat adn the lettering on it. This photo is from the 1913? Santa Monica Road Race. It has been suggested the Fiat color is green... but I've also heard that the beer company Maier Brewery also used green in those days... could not be green on green... the Select Beer also used red... red on green would look good.

Anyone?

[​IMG]

2. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

Harry, i'm pretty sure I have read an article describing Ralph De Palma's crash in the Mercedes at the 1912 American Grand Prize and being overtaken by the big green Fiat S74 driven by Oldfield. I just can't remember where i saw it.

The Maier Brewing Company colors of 1935 were green background with red on beige lettering.

3. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

maier label

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. HarryPallenberg

HarryPallenberg

Thanks guys.. LOVE the HAMB. The brewing company seems to have had ALL sorts of colors in the early years... I've seen white cans with red lettering, white with green, green with silver... they were all over the place... this site has LOTS of pics of the cans / labels but I can not finds any reference to SELECT KID... http://www.ebeercans.com/Maier-Select-Beer/856/

So far the green Fiat seems right... guess we'll look for a complimentary color for the lettering.

5. noboD

noboD

Does that mean you have the car? Restoreing it?

6. HarryPallenberg

HarryPallenberg

LOL - I wish! That would be amazing. No in fact I am making a documentary film on race history in Los Angeles and I am having different artists (kindly donating time) creating poster art. One of them is working on something based on the Santa Monica Road Races which featured the above car & Barney.

The artists site: http://www.car-a-day.blogspot.com/

More about the film: www.wheretheyraced.com

7. noboD

noboD

If you haven't ask there yet, ask on the auto racing 1894-1944 thread. There's a pretty dedicated group that follows that thread. Please keep us informed about your film.

8. 5window

5window

9. HarryPallenberg

HarryPallenberg

Will do. There is a thread on the film here:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=548965

I'll update there.

10. HarryPallenberg

HarryPallenberg

Trying to download the file now... looks like a TREASURE TROVE - even if they are all blk & wht not much help for figuring out the colors...

I'm not really torrent savvy... the download seems to keep crashing - any tips? Do you have the file? maybe you can FTP it to me? or yousendit.com

do you have other links to giant folders full of cool old pics?

Thanks - I'll keep trying.

11. fiats74

fiats74
    from san diego

I own the Ex. Teddy Tetzlaff S-74. I only know of early F.I.A.T.s racing in dark red.
    When I restored the car there was blood red paint all over the cracks and rivets of the chassis. My car is green, because when it was re-engined for the 1915 race season it was painted "Italian Racing Green" by Bert Dingley, at least that’s what the papers called it. The Oldfield car was the same one he drove at the Milwaukee race. Bruce Brown was killed in practice in a different car.<O:p></O:p>

12. HarryPallenberg

HarryPallenberg

Nice! Thanks for the info. What state is Teddy's car in? Do you know its full history - ie where & when it raced? Do you have photos / films? Love to talk.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2013