Register now to get rid of these ads!

Gmc six info needed.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by edweird, Feb 3, 2011.

1. edweird

edweird

Anybody in hamb land running one of these ? Me and my dad are picking up a 270 sat. I would like to see pics of them souped up. Thanks

2. edweird

edweird

3. Patience Grasshopper!

There HAVE to be some GMC guys on here... and if you give up on it, I'm looking for 270 pistons :D

4. Deucedreamer

Deucedreamer
    from BC Canada

I have a GMC 302 with a 6-71 blower and dual carbs. Basically the same engine just a larger bore. In fact my 302 is running a 270 crank and rods. Although everything else is 302. Here's a pic.

Attached Files:

5. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

damn i would like to hear how that sounds

6. badsix

badsix
    from oregon

7. Wow! that thing is cool!! what kind of hp / tq does it put out?

add -
    heh 2 blown 6's that looks a little odd with the blower not in the center though. but i LOVE it :D

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  8. badsix

badsix
    from oregon

9. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

A couple of mine. I asume you have joined Inliners International?

Attached Files:

10. edweird

edweird

i have wood !!!!!

11. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard

Go to stoveboltengineco.com click listen It's a 302 but worth listenuing to.

12. Deucedreamer

Deucedreamer
    from BC Canada

I don't actually know how much HP/TQ it puts out, I've never had it on a dyno. But my engine builder guessed that with 5lbs of boost, which is what I run as it's a street engine, that it probably puts out in the neighbourhood of 260-290 hp. It pulls really well. I was doing 50 on the hwy and wanted to pass a big truck, so I stepped on it and was doing 80 before I knew it:D. It really moves. Personally I like the blower off to the side. That's part of what makes it different.

It sounds really nice. I have nicson knock off cast iron headers, dual exhaust and smitty mufflers. So it rapps quite loud on deceleration and sounds awesome under power.

Edweird: If you're interested in the specs of the engine you can pm me, i'm not sure too many others on here are that interested...lol

13. quicksilver

quicksilver

I'm interested! Post the specs up. I'm in the early stages of building a GMC 302 for my 35 Ford pickup.

14. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Hey Quicksilver. I'm in San Mateo and ran my GMCs at Bonneville and such for a number of years. Still have a El Mirage record. Your project sounds pretty interesting.

15. quicksilver

quicksilver

I've read a number of your posts while doing research about the inline GMCs. I've love to get together to pick your brain and learn about these engines sometime.

16. Deucedreamer

Deucedreamer
    from BC Canada

Ok, so when I was looking for a 302, I had a really tough time finding one. Being from BC Canada, there's not much in the way of these old engines up here. So I ended up buying a complete 270, a bare military block and a complete 302 head. Since the 270 has the same stroke as the 302, I used the rods and crank from it as well as the camshaft and a few other parts like the oil pan water pump etc. There's not much difference in the military blocks, other than a few more bosses and threads for PTO's and stuff as compared to civilian blocks. I would have liked to have a cross flow head too, but once I started doing research into them, I realized that was a pipe dream considering the rarity and cost. Even the Arias ones are expensive.

Compression: 7.8-1 Arias forged aluminum flat top pistons
    Stock rods and crankshaft
    Stainless steel valves and pushrods: 1.84" intake and 1.6" exhaust
    The head has been ported and polished
    The camshaft was reground by a local grinder with a conservative grind as it is driven on the street as well as blown: .309 lift intake, .295 lift exhaust with 113 degrees of lobe separation.
    The ignition is a dual point mallory unit with an MSD box hidden behind the seat.
    Dual Edelbrock 600cfm carbs
    Philips Performance cast iron headers (nicson knock offs)
    The blower manifold is actually a cast aluminum 4-71 unit that is supposed to mount the blower vertically that I got from the old Stovebolt engine co. It was his last one which he found at the very back of a dusty shelf. I had a machine shop build and adapt an aluminum plenum(with a pop off valve)to the manifold so that the blower mounts horizontally.
    The Valve cover is a two piece unit that I found at the Portland Swapmeet. Apparently only 60 were made as the guy making them couldn't make them pay for themselves. I only paid $60 for it and it was his last one.
    The side cover is a custom finned one I had made as vintage finned aluminum ones are fairly rare.
    A lot of the pieces on the engine were custom made to make it all fit and run right. It cost me 3 times as much as I thought it would and took me 5 years to build, mainly cause of money. That's about it.

17. Hawaiianstyle

Hawaiianstyle

Hey Deucedreamer, I hope you dont mind but I re-posted your Specs (and photo) over on the "The Ultimate 235 Hop up Thread....... "

I am sure those guys will get a kick out of your engine build.

18. Hawaiianstyle

Hawaiianstyle

BTW, Killer mill.

19. 50ChevyFrank

50ChevyFrank

20. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

hERES A PIC OF MINE..

29 Model A sedan made into truck. 302 GMC bored .125 for a 322 cu in.
    Howard camshaft,Jahns pistons, Nicson headers , four speed with quick change. Have driven for the past six years ...been a good one AND its fuel injected , TBI hidden under the air cleaner...........

Attached Files:

21. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

GMC 6's are gay.....

[​IMG]

Countn'Carbs likes this.
  22. edweird

edweird

23. edweird

edweird

ok fellas, got a the 270 today for 300 smackers, does any body know where we can get an adaptor to put a 700 r 4 behind it ? i want to use a 5 speed, but pop says he's to damn old to mash a clutch.

24. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard

Buffalo Enterprises. Not cheap. Maybe you should swap that 270 for a 292. The 700R4 will fit right on it.

25. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Buffalo Enterprises in Washington makes adapters to bolt up 'Glids, turbo 350 and400 or stickshift blowshields for Chevy V8s. Would the 770 R 4 have the same pattern? 360-652-7684

26. edweird

edweird

yep. thanks for the info.

27. edweird

edweird

can you bore a 270 .125 ?

28. motion guru

motion guru
    from yacolt, wa

I bored mine 0.125 over. Now at 292 cu in with 9:1 compression - runs like a top!

[​IMG]

29. edweird

edweird

that sure is a pretty engine.

30. edweird

edweird

will early chevy six intakes work on the gmc ?