Register now to get rid of these ads!

**UPDATED** Uh, this look normal to you?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jim Lohman, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Jim Lohman

Jim Lohman
    from Colorado

***UPDATE***
    So who cares where the engine sits when the frickin weld-in crossmember is 4 inches off center! Chopping it out and moving it. Sigh, woe is me.

***OLD***
    Stabbing engine for first time. It is 350/700R. Car is 35 Chev Master Del Sedan. Seems like engine is sitting 8 feet above the frame. This location tucks the trans pan up in the frame, level front to back, left to right, clearance for distributor etc. Just seems to sit really high. Thoughts?
    Thanks.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  2. 42hotrod

42hotrod
    from S.E. Idaho

My concern would be foot clearance. You have very little floor room in the early cars and if you add in a large enough trans tunnel to clear that you may end up with no floor room.

My advice would be to pay close attention to the floor clearance and size of trans tunnel.

Scot

3. I usually shoot for the bottom of the oil pan to be just above the bottom edge of the front crossmember. This usually brings the dampener to within about 1-2 inches above the rack. It also reduces the trans. tunnel for more foot room.

4. Jim Lohman

Jim Lohman
    from Colorado

My concern would be foot clearance. You have very little floor room in the early cars and if you add in a large enough trans tunnel to clear that you may end up with no floor room.

My advice would be to pay close attention to the floor clearance and size of trans tunnel.

Scot

Actually have good room there, housing doesn't come into tunnel very much. But thanks for reminding me.

Attached Files:

5. From what I see I'd move it down and back, the pan can be as low as the crossmember and still be plenty safe

6. Jim Lohman

Jim Lohman
    from Colorado

Thanks for reply. I worry about trans pan hitting speed bumps etc, think it'll be ok? Can't remember another car where trans pan hangs below frame rail.

7. Think you could remove 3 of the 4 blocks and still be plenty safe.

8. Master of None

Master of None

The only thing I'd check would be to put a fender on and see how close the inner fender apron will be to where your manifolds or header will be. Other than that it looks fine.

9. maniac

maniac

On my 38 Chevy the oil pan is around 2" higher than the front cross member, so if the cross member scrapes, the pan doesn't. I still can drop the pan strait down also.

With a turbo 400 my floor inside is only raised 3/4".

You can lower yours some more and still be OK

10. Jim Lohman

Jim Lohman
    from Colorado

Good to know, thanks.

11. Jim Lohman

Jim Lohman
    from Colorado

Fenders will be next step, if it fits, seems weird to have such long engine mounts.

12. alex211

alex211
    from NW PA

Looks good to me, here is how I mounted my 350. I know it's not HAMB appropriate but it's the same principle.

[​IMG]

13. Master of None

Master of None

If you got a steering column handy I'd mock it up too, 30's full fenderd cars tend to get a bit busy on the drivers side. It will help you decide where you can run the steering shafts and joints. You may have to make a mount with a sleeve that you will be able to run the steering shaft through. If you have to Sanderson makes really nice tight tuck headers, center and rear dump.

14. Jim Lohman

Jim Lohman
    from Colorado

I have sanderson center center dump. From the looks of it, tons of clearance for steering with regard to engine mount.

15. Jim Lohman

Jim Lohman
    from Colorado

Mount looks good, strong.

16. 1934coupe

1934coupe

I personallywould leave it at that height I've seen many moyors in cars where they didn't want to cut the floor and wound up having to put electric fan in because fan blade only came up to bottom half of radiator also aesteticallyhow will the exhaust system look hanging down so you cane run a straight pipe clear to the back or tucked up running through the chassis like the original. Lots to concider foving things 1/4" at a time in any direction will make for a clean install. I know an electric fan will take care of cooling but why invent the wheel. Stock fans and water pumps work fine and is one less thing to worry about on the road.
    Just my opinion.

Pat

17. lowelife

lowelife

Looks like it should really come back. Way too much space between firewall and engine. Just my .02.

18. Jim Lohman

Jim Lohman
    from Colorado

Good point, my dad's 41 had the low fan, had to mount a straight 6 adapter to raise pump to use fan.

19. chaddilac

chaddilac

I'd rather it be a little high, that scraping the oil pan open on a highway bump....

20. Master of None

Master of None

Great, last thing I can think of is check to make sure you will have plenty of room for the power steering pump for adjustment. With the fenders on that is, sometimes the hoses are a pain to route.

21. Jim Lohman

Jim Lohman
    from Colorado

Have to wait til tomorrow to throw in the HEI to check that clearance.

22. Jim Lohman

Jim Lohman
    from Colorado

Hoping I won't need power, should be able to strong arm, fairly light level car.

23. Jim Lohman

Jim Lohman
    from Colorado

That's my thinking, just looks so odd. Maybe fenders will help hide some.

24. 39 chevy kustom

39 chevy kustom

Bring the engine back tighter to the firewall , so you will have radiator clearance. as far as hieght once you get the inner fenders and fenders on it will look like it is way down in there . also have plenty of steering coloum and steering shaft linkage.

25. Master of None

Master of None

Sorry, saw the mustang II A-arms and jumped to conclusions. Should have asked. I'd leave the motor where its at, I like to be able to work on my stuff. I usually allow a finger and a half width behind the H.E.I dist. That way you can change the plug wires and stuff without cussing.

26. Ghost28

Ghost28

I like the height Jim, but plan for a HEI and move the engine back to allow for just enough clearance. If you remember chucks 36 chevy with the engine sitting too low, it got lost way down there in the engine bay and looked a little funny.

27. alex211

alex211
    from NW PA

Thanks. I used a leaf spring bushing with a DOM sleeve for an isolator, then 1/4" 2x2 tubing to the frame. I plate the frame with 1/4 where the tubing connects and then gusseted the tube to the frame with 1/4 plate. I don't want engine to fall out. :D

28. Ford blue blood

Ford blue blood

The engine pan and the transmission pan in my 36 Chevy are just a RCH above the M II crossmember and the car is really low. Have never had a problem with the either pan. Get it down a little and back. These old cars are a little on the top heavy side and getting that chunk of ballast down and further to the rear will help with ride and handling.

29. 39 chevy kustom

39 chevy kustom

this is my 39 before and after the inner fenders and fenders were in place . It looks to me to be about the same height as yours . The floor board is completely stock. also no power steering and it is just fine.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  30. maniac

maniac

I thought the same thing.............ended up with power..........I got old:D

Burned off the fan belt just before last Christmas, only about 10 miles from the house......drove without the power steering....still didn't like it.

Plan for it, but don't put it in, this way if you change your mind it won't need a whole engine re-engineering calamity, like mine was...