Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Who won the GNRS??????????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The37Kid, Jan 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Yup.

2. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

That must be why you call yourself HAN'S Rod & Cycles, (Couldnt resist) sorry I just could not take myself back to my teenage days for relief. I will leave that up to you and John Denich to continue that tradition..:eek: Larry

3. Larry T

Larry T

Pretty neat that part of the new judging criteria is how the car looks with a driver in it moving and what the engine sounds like! That kind of puts us folks looking at them on the computer at a disadvantage.
    But, I like it.
    Larry T

4. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

No, they arent there. Got confirmation from a couple people who were there.Now, I dont have a problem with a non-trad car winning, and I'm not under the illusion that AMBR winners are driven on the street, but I do have a problem with AMBR not having any headlights. And I looked at a few of the big wheel freak shows from the last couple years, at least they had headlights.

Ok, you can let fly with the FU you asshole posts now.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  5. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Seems odd to me George ???

6. KomptonKid

KomptonKid

We've all seen the way-out customs and concept cars that really were not meant to be actually driven, but rather were exercises in design. You start to leave off headlights and mirrors, it can only be for styling purposes, and you have a design exercise. Which might be, along with fit and finish, what makes an AMBR or Ridler contender, and there doesn't seem to be judging points to be made in how practical a driver it is. But HAMB people, along with being lovers of car things traditional, are drivers, so its probably a matter of being left with appreciating design and finish for what it is and hope that traditional elements, if not prevailing, at least show up, like this year.

Just an opinion, everyone has one, but I might be wrong.

7. The way I see it is after having my roadster contend for the AMBR award 3 years ago is this.....I was walking around bldg 4 looking at all the contenders and I thought man if it were me I would have picked the T for sure. Having said that I walked right by Doug's car and didn't even take a picture of it or many of the others for that matter. I can say that Squeeg's is a first class guy and he had his deuce 3 window across from me when my roadster was there in 08. He wasn't sour about not winning aftterwards in fact he told me I should have won it as many guys did while I was there. Truth of the matter is that SAR with their over the top mod rod on a turn pod was shut down and I am betting there is a few tears in the beers over that in their camp. Oh Well !!!
    Everybody wins here the T got the HAMB nod and class guys like Doug took home the gold so congratulations to him and his dad they deserve it and it couldn't happen to a nicer gearhead in my opnion. The best of show was bldg. 9 and the suede palace so let's not forget Alex and all his efforts along with Luke and Kurt and Rikster and the rest of the team that put all this Eye Kandy together for us under one roof. That's why I went down there in the first place. It was well worth it. Time-Bomb John

8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Since "found out" :eek: that the car has headlights but they were off the car during the show, apparently they attach through the hood sides, and as one hood side was off, they took the headlights off.

9. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

So how come they were not on display as part of the car? Did they leave the top at home too?
    I guess they will have to add a new rule that you can only compete with a complete car. Did anyone see the trunk interior or was it closed too? :eek:

Dont get me wrong I think it is a very nice car, but not AMBR material.

10. Larry T

Larry T

On one of the other GNRS threads there is a picture of the car driving down the road with the headlights mounted.
    Larry T

Here ya go.

Attached Files:

• AMBR.jpg
      AMBR.jpg
      File size:
      415.7 KB
      Views:
  11. I think they should've left the headlight on, on the side with the hood on....to show where it goes, and what it looks like. I don't think it would've looked weird as someone mentioned. They probly should've displayed the other light next to the removed hood side that was laying there

12. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Me too! Boy, do I EVER!!:D:rolleyes:

13. Pretty sure the AMBR contenders were all judged inside/outside/upside down/downside up at some stage during the show. This then allowed the owners to display the cars as they felt best.

I think it's a great idea. Bugs me when people blow cars apart at shows and I quite often won't take a pic if the doors are open on both sides of the car (and I take photos for magazines).

Clearly the car is an AMBR car, because, well, IT WON THE AMBR. This year anyway. :rolleyes:

14. I AGREE! Reminds me of a toy car I had as a kid. Wind it up, let it hit a wall or something, and doors/fenders would blow off the thing. Snap the parts back in place and start over:D

15. As much as the show brings in people I know when I was showing I coulda cared less what the people thought of how the car was shown it was ALL about the points!! and making sure the judges saw what they needed to see at any time.....

16. jjayf

jjayf
    from Yelm, Wa

Well, I am not knowledgable enough about the cars to be critical about the judging but if it was like the bike judging there left a bit of discretion to be desired. It seemed alot of the winners had bolt on "panhead covers" on hardtailed sportsters or were new aftermarket knucklhead motors and frames with bolt on finned oil tanks and nice paint...not that these bikes werent nice but there were some original bikes with alot of work in them that got beat out for aftermarket "stuff"....traditional or not.

17. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Man, that would never happen in the hot rod world...:rolleyes:

18. That kinda sucks, because the show should be about entertainment and putting on the best looking show possible.

19. 40WILLYSCRAZY

40WILLYSCRAZY
    from fresno

Hey Muttley. dont worry. the winner is probably another rust free fiberglass roadster with made in china billet parts. We can all sleep easy now !!!!!

20. that can be one in the same,its just that I was more worried about what the judges needed for me to get points and then what the crowd might like,they did vote for peoples choice so there was some concern.However it was more important to get the points needed to keep showing in the top of the class to get into the money.........Did I mention I dont really miss the serious show scene,but damn sure respect those before me and the guys still able to do it right,and that numbers in the hundreds

21. leorilla

leorilla

Got it from the HORSES MOUTH . There going back to the more nostalgic looks. :eek::cool::rolleyes:

22. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

WELL DONE SQUEEGS! I like it, that's all I'm saying!

23. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

congrats on the win but the Sylvester roadster should've had it. By far the most beautiful thing i've seen in a long time.

24. rick finch

rick finch

Do you guys realize you're posting on a year old thread? Uhhh...it's 2012.;)

25. Doc Squat

Doc Squat
    from tulsa, ok

YAWN!
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Like I told the kid, "Your musics not too loud, its just like OKC, it just sucks!"

26. 2012 huh..when did that happen?

27. I personally would have selected Sylvester III. That car is beyond amazing in detail.-Weeks

28. I personally would have selected Sylvester III. That car is beyond amazing in detail.-Weeks

29. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

i thought it was referring to this years placings? whoops

30. boldventure

boldventure

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.