Register now to get rid of these ads!

How to fix wallered lug hole????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nemlio65, Jan 23, 2011.

1. nemlio65

nemlio65
    from northeast

Any ideas on how to fix a lug hole that's wallered out on an aluminum wheel(like a old Americam) ? Fill with weld or drill out fill with plug that's welded in and then redrill fresh lug holes/Thanks...

2. chaddilac

chaddilac

Tig it back and have it machined to match the others....

3. fastrnu

fastrnu
    from shelton,wa

Bigger studs???

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Are you sure it is not a unilug hole?

For a hole that is really damaged, TIG welding and machine is about the only way to do it properly.

Larger studs could work, but by the time you get done re-drilling the wheels, axles/hubs, discs/drums, re-chamfering the holes in the wheels, and buying and installing all new hardware, you will have spent way more money, time and effort.

5. nemlio65

nemlio65
    from northeast

tig welding won't weaken the surounding aluminum when the heat is applied?Thanks..

6. Properly done, TIG welding should not reduce the strength of your aluminum wheels. A number of shops specialize in aluminum wheel repair. You can find someone in your area with a Google or Yahoo search.

7. brad chevy

brad chevy

If you can post some pics of the wheel you are working on.

8. nemlio65

nemlio65
    from northeast

Old American racing 15/7

Attached Files:

9. SimonSez

SimonSez

Maybe you could machine a stepped insert and bore that hole oversize and press/loctite the insert in?

10. GREASER815

GREASER815

Just run it, you have 4 more holding it on, I wouldn't worry too much.

11. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

Welding on heat treated aluminum weakens it. But, wheels aren't normally heat treated, so a properly done weld on a weldable alloy isn't a problem.

12. brad chevy

brad chevy

What were these wheels on? Even the mounting surface has a 1/4 inch difference in thickness.With one hole that bad how the heck did the others remain perfect.

13. budd

budd

i have a set of that style of wheels, on mine i plan to use the round washer with the offset hole and run them with a 5 on 4-1/2" pattern, they now are 5 on 4-3/4", the washer fits snug in the recessed part of the hole, i have to ob-long the holes a little to get the nuts to fit, looking at yours i say you could get the same washers with the hole in the center, the nut will center on the washer and the washer will fit snug in the recess, it could be a good idea to make a locating ring to have the rim center on the hub as well.

14. nemlio65

nemlio65
    from northeast

More to the story,all the hole are messed with....

Attached Files:

15. shainerman

shainerman

those all look pretty uniform. Id just run them for awhile and see what happens, haha. Just get an acorn style lug and see if it will snug down in the holes a bit

16. brad chevy

brad chevy

With the better pic looks like somebody ran the wheels without the washers,but I would clean out the washer stepdowns,get the right washers and lugs.

17. shainerman

shainerman

18. pitman

pitman

19. caseyscustoms

caseyscustoms
    BANNED
    from st.joe, MO

looks like they started out as uni-lug , and somebody didnt run the right lug nuts and washers....

20. jimvette59

jimvette59

Have the holes drilled on a Bridgeport indicating for the bolt circle you want and have steel top hat inserts made. Just my way.

21. filthy frank

filthy frank

looks to me that some one didnt use the washers, and made another boo boo on the lip just outside the grease cap !

22. budd

budd

i say your wheels can be fixed, the first step would be to find the right washers, then have your wheels machined to except them.

do your wheels have American Racing cast into the back?

23. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

would it be posible to have a locating ring machined to fit snuggly between the hub and the center of the wheel to serve as the locator and then just run them as is?, i've seen the ricers use these I think they are called hub centrics.

24. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That sounds like the most viable solution. The Enkie 32 wheels on my 48 came new with steel inserts and it shouldn't be too hard for a machine shop to turn out a batch of inserts that would work and maybe even use tapered lug nuts in the process along with doing the machine work on the wheels. It won't be inexpensive but it will save the wheels.

Otherwise Tig welding them holes up and having them remachined would work with the original style lug nuts and washers.

25. Scarebird

Scarebird
    Alliance Vendor
    from ABQ, USA

like these? You will of course need to ream out the bunged up holes in a mill to make it right.

Attached Files:

26. 40WILLYSCRAZY

40WILLYSCRAZY
    from fresno

Stockton wheel can correctly drill them and put in a steel insert and then you can use the same lug nuts that are used on steel wheels.

27. RAY With

RAY With

An insert with a washer would solve the problem and done properly they won't need to be welded. Drill them out then machine inserts and press in-Problem solved!

28. nemlio65

nemlio65
    from northeast

Yes American Racing Cast on backside,might be tough to see...

Attached Files:

29. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

An easy way would be to insert the wheel and change it to accept acorn style lug nuts. Do that kind of stuff all the time at work. Pm if you have any questions.

30. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

sound like a good way to not see that wheel for a few years.

Do a search for stockton wheel before contemplating this little adventure.